• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone else reckon teachers/parents got it way easier than us? (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Ha thanks for the replies. Curious to hear that people consider work back then was much more rigorous than todays content. But does anyone else get the feeling in the classroom when your teacher hands you an assessment requiring a relatively modern piece of technology (eg an internet research/website building task) that this dumb bitch didn't have to do that back then. I might be entirely wrong but I kinda reckon the inclusion of technology (eg Digital Cameras, Internet etc) has given teachers more incentive to up the workload

Though I am NOT complaining about how easier it is to retrieve information in todays generation

hmm I hope I made sense
check out the physics and chem papers from the 60s or 70s - puts today's crap to shame

xcaffeinator

HSC
I completely agree. Postmodern theories were barely taught at all, so most things were not as open to interpretation as they are now. The courses were much more straightforward than they are now. Before it was simply a matter of memorising things from a textbook, now we are marked far more subjectively as well as objectively.

spence

HSC
Ha thanks for the replies. Curious to hear that people consider work back then was much more rigorous than todays content. But does anyone else get the feeling in the classroom when your teacher hands you an assessment requiring a relatively modern piece of technology (eg an internet research/website building task) that this dumb bitch didn't have to do that back then. I might be entirely wrong but I kinda reckon the inclusion of technology (eg Digital Cameras, Internet etc) has given teachers more incentive to up the workload

Though I am NOT complaining about how easier it is to retrieve information in todays generation

hmm I hope I made sense
Really? Our modern technology wasn't around 20 years ago? shock horror

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
I know my parents at least both came from incredibly poor backgrounds and worked extremely hard to get a scholarship simply so they could attend university, while holding down full time jobs. Personally I think we have it easier, we have the internet, the world quite literally at our fingertips, we're encouraged to study and to learn, and to go as far as we can, not just give up and accept our position in life.

I can't see what's wrong with being given an assignment that's in the form of a powerpoint or internet research task, I'd much prefer that then slogging through tomes of history for a very long and boring essay (says she who stupidly chose the most esoteric topic ever for history extension and now must spend hours in university libraries with said tomes). Technology has made it easier for us, not harder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)