Anyone get a scholarhsip yet? (1 Viewer)

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
t. said:
I got the $10,000 p.a. scholarship from USYD a couple of weeks ago. (from the faculty of eco and business) except I didn't apply for it particularly, they got my statement and UAI from the admin office etc etc. But yeah, my UAI was 99.50.
Congrats....

picaresque

HSC
That's what they say...but t. must still have had amazing extra-cirriculars. I got the 10k, but I also got 100. My friend who got 99.9, played sports, did drama, peer support etc as well as being on the state debating team only got the 5k. So...wow.

schmackers

HSC
N/A
picaresque said:
That's what they say...but t. must still have had amazing extra-cirriculars. I got the 10k, but I also got 100. My friend who got 99.9, played sports, did drama, peer support etc as well as being on the state debating team only got the 5k. So...wow.
sounds like your friend was pretty unlucky.... I got the 5k one too with a UAI of 99.85, but pretty crap extra curriculars. no drama/music/debating/prefect... seriously, I don't know what they saw in me. Must've just scraped in.

anyway, congrats on your 10k one and i might see u around campus this year :)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
t. said:
I got the $10,000 p.a. scholarship from USYD a couple of weeks ago. (from the faculty of eco and business) except I didn't apply for it particularly, they got my statement and UAI from the admin office etc etc. But yeah, my UAI was 99.50.
Jesus, I really just don't get it.

Last year doing Engo Science (Not exactly a heavy course to get a sholarship for I would have thought), I got a rejection letter straight up. Like, WTF? (I ended up with the 5k, but fuck, top 220 people in the state getting a rejection letter, jeez)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i guess it depends on the competition in each faculty...........but i would have thought someone like you with 99.75 and top in 4u maths would definately got a better scholarship.........oh well

t.

HSC
10k scholarship

Hmmm....well, I don't think I had any extra-curriculars that were out of the ordinary: as you guys alredy mentioned, I had the whole sport (volleyball)/drama/senior prefect/peer support leader/french alliance member etc etc stuff ...and the academic stuff like duxs (four times)/first in subjects's (every yr)...and the competitions, writing and design prizes etc etc...and leadership functions, volunteer work, charity events, work experience at SMH, Duke of Edingburgh, magazine committee editor, oh and I did this UBS Finance Academy thing which the eco and bus faculty prob liked, and I went to the 'degree in a day' at sydney, which sydney in general would've liked....so hope that helps with the 'what I had in it' question. I don't remember it all, but if you want more explanation just ask, I'll dig it out of the dark depths of my drawer...lol. Oh, and I also wrote what I wanted to do, which was in eco/bus at sydney of course, so yeah. My careers advisor thinks it was my statement that got me the scholarship, cos a lot of ppl wrote in point form or paragraph form, but i wrote in prose (mainly cos I can't write in points....I always always always write essay style- it's a curse)

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
Why doesn't everyone who got a scholarship post their personal statements and UAI for the benefit of '05ers? Here's mine (I got an Entry Scholarship at the Arts Faculty)

It's wanky shit.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
I-Jester said:
Why doesn't everyone who got a scholarship post their personal statements and UAI for the benefit of '05ers? Here's mine (I got an Entry Scholarship at the Arts Faculty)

It's wanky shit.
no shit they chose u :p

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I still haven't heard about my scholarship offer.....I'm on the reserve list for a Merit scholarship and it's almost Feb and I still haven't got a reply yet.....I've already got a Science scholarship......but it's annoying when you don't know what's going on....Man! it's killer just wondering and waiting for my reply!....anyone else on the reserve list and haven't had a reply yet or already got a reply?

CrashOveride

HSC
Thaoroxy:

Is that the science alumni one?
So you've had some family member or something graduate from USYD previously...thats my understanding of it ?

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Thaoroxy:

Is that the science alumni one?
So you've had some family member or something graduate from USYD previously...thats my understanding of it ?
eh?...My family migrated to Australia only 10 years ago....I'm actually the first member from my family including my extended family that is attending an Australian University....

But yeh it was a Science Alumni one....

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
One for outstanding achievement, $5k/year.
w00t.

CrashOveride

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
eh?...My family migrated to Australia only 10 years ago....I'm actually the first member from my family including my extended family that is attending an Australian University....

But yeh it was a Science Alumni one....
Oh ok, i didnt know know medical science still fell into that science major type thing.

Is this the achievement or entry alumni one?
You get considered for this via application for any USYD scholarship, so u just missed out on the 5k one?

Rach*b

HSC
very dissapointed:
got uai of 99.8, with 100 for ancient history and all subjects over 90, plus extracurricular activities like band, choir, debating, public speaking, drama groups and productions, peer support, vice captain, src member and sport, dux and first in every subject, plus what i thought was a pretty well written letter, and got nothing from sydney. Still doing arts/law there anyway.

Plebeian

Rach*b said:
very dissapointed:
got uai of 99.8, with 100 for ancient history and all subjects over 90, plus extracurricular activities like band, choir, debating, public speaking, drama groups and productions, peer support, vice captain, src member and sport, dux and first in every subject, plus what i thought was a pretty well written letter, and got nothing from sydney. Still doing arts/law there anyway.
Yeah that sucks :( Perhaps it's because St Patrick's isn't ranked too highly? :confused: I'd say the Arts faculty is also very highly competitive - if you went to that scholarships lecture on Live Day last year, you'd have heard the guy talking about National SRC representation and such.

lukebennett is right though, did you ever get a confirmation letter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)