• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone here in the Australian Army cadets? (1 Viewer)

Kittikhun

HSC
I'm interested in joining up. If anybody is, I have the following questions to ask-

1). How long do the days last for cadets and what time does the annual weekly get to together start?
2). Do the cadets take up a lot of your study time?
3). Do you have to parade drill a lot?
4). Do you guys learn about military history other than Australia's?
5). Do you have to buy your own uniform?
6). What other weapons are you instructered on besides the Short Magazine Lee Enfield Mk. III .303 and Styer F88?
7). What times of the year do you guys go out on the field?
8). Is it compulsory to fire the F88?
9). Are there a lot of Australian patriots?
10). Is there PT?
11). I know this is pretty unlikely, but is there a parachuting course? (I saw a picture of a cadet on a static line jump before such as here http://www.aac.adfc.gov.au/custom.asp?ID=about&cols=3)
12). Are most of the cadets in your unit SF nerds?
13). Are the cadets split up into co-ed units or just singled sexed units? (I don't know how to word this. Sorry for any confusion)
14). Do the cadets really pressure you into joining the ADF?
15). Are there any other things you guys do that I haven't mentioned in my list yet?

Thanks a million guys.

Kittikhun.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
AAFC for the win!

I used to be a part of the Australian Air Force Cadets and only quit because of my gigantic HSC workload. So i'll answer the questions in case you want to consider AAFC. There will probably be only bit of variation in the answers between the AAFC, the AAC and the ANC anyway.

1/ It's a weekly commitment of either 3 or 3 and a half hours weekly (the day would depend on which Squandron you want to join). There are also some compulsory days such as Anzac day that you must attend (for the AAFC, 3 a year). Of course if you have a valid excuse such as i can't go because my cousin is about to leave Australia for ever on that day then you can just ask for leave (permission not to go).

2/ Depending on how well you want to go, it could take up some time. I was getting distinctions (coming 1st) and it didn't take up much time at all. There's no nightly study, more like a 10min cram session before the exam.

3/ Yes, especially in the squadron i was at. There's a nightly parade that goes for a maximimum of 40 minutes. In this time you use your dirll knowledge. It also serves as a roll call, uniform check time and announcement time. When your a new recruit, probably 1/2 of your classes a drill. This decreases as you get more experienced.

4/ Military history. We mainly learnt about how the RAAF was formed etc. but yes we learnt little tid bits of the military history of other countries through learning about international roundels etc. but not much.

5/ The uniform was loaned. You didn't have to pay a cent to wear them, just had to keep it in immaculate condition and return it when you quit. If you didn't return something when you quit, then yeah you would have to pay whatever the lost item was worth.

6/ For the AAFC, you had to undertake the firearms elective and pass it before you could go rifle shooting. You could only use the Enfield Mk. III .303 (BRNO) and then when you were deemed proficient enough you could use the Styer if you wished. No other firearms are used.

7/ Bivouacs are what i'm going to assume you're referring to. There are 2 a year for each squadron and it would depend on the squadraon to plan when to hold them. For me it was at the beginning of the year (around april) and the end of the year (around november).

8/ No it is not compulsory as i have said before and you can only use it once you are given permission to.

9/ Where i was at, I didn't see anyone who was overly patriotic.

10/ Nope.

11/ Yes there were until some idiot ARMY cadet in Queensland did something wrong and broke his ankle. They have temporarily suspended (it is under review) the activity but when i left i heard that they were about to bring it back in. So by the time you join it would hopefully be available again :)

12/ Aha no. Most people don't even like science fiction or planes for that matter :p

13/ Nope, everyone is mixed. But classes are held in stages (sort of like year levels).

14/ No, there's no pressure at all. As i have said, most people don't want to join the ADF at all and just want to go because it's fun. I know plenty of people who go and want to be Dentists, teachers, scientists etc. There are of course people who go to cadets because they wish to join the ADF but the majority actually don't want to. Of course there will probably be people from the ADF helping out so if you want to join, there's plenty of people you could ask information from. There's also a career like day where people form the ADF come and tell you what the ADF is offering. Besides that there's nothing though.

15/ It's a LOT of fun. I'd recommend trying it. It's not for everyone but if you love it, you'll love it. And if you don't like it at first, stick with it for a while. You'll find that everyone becomes friendlier and things only get better as you gain more experience (and more importantly ranks :p).

Kittikhun

HSC
AAFC for the win!

I used to be a part of the Australian Air Force Cadets and only quit because of my gigantic HSC workload. So i'll answer the questions in case you want to consider AAFC. There will probably be only bit of variation in the answers between the AAFC, the AAC and the ANC anyway.

1/ It's a weekly commitment of either 3 or 3 and a half hours weekly (the day would depend on which Squandron you want to join). There are also some compulsory days such as Anzac day that you must attend (for the AAFC, 3 a year). Of course if you have a valid excuse such as i can't go because my cousin is about to leave Australia for ever on that day then you can just ask for leave (permission not to go).

2/ Depending on how well you want to go, it could take up some time. I was getting distinctions (coming 1st) and it didn't take up much time at all. There's no nightly study, more like a 10min cram session before the exam.

3/ Yes, especially in the squadron i was at. There's a nightly parade that goes for a maximimum of 40 minutes. In this time you use your dirll knowledge. It also serves as a roll call, uniform check time and announcement time. When your a new recruit, probably 1/2 of your classes a drill. This decreases as you get more experienced.

4/ Military history. We mainly learnt about how the RAAF was formed etc. but yes we learnt little tid bits of the military history of other countries through learning about international roundels etc. but not much.

5/ The uniform was loaned. You didn't have to pay a cent to wear them, just had to keep it in immaculate condition and return it when you quit. If you didn't return something when you quit, then yeah you would have to pay whatever the lost item was worth.

6/ For the AAFC, you had to undertake the firearms elective and pass it before you could go rifle shooting. You could only use the Enfield Mk. III .303 (BRNO) and then when you were deemed proficient enough you could use the Styer if you wished. No other firearms are used.

7/ Bivouacs are what i'm going to assume you're referring to. There are 2 a year for each squadron and it would depend on the squadraon to plan when to hold them. For me it was at the beginning of the year (around april) and the end of the year (around november).

8/ No it is not compulsory as i have said before and you can only use it once you are given permission to.

9/ Where i was at, I didn't see anyone who was overly patriotic.

10/ Nope.

11/ Yes there were until some idiot ARMY cadet in Queensland did something wrong and broke his ankle. They have temporarily suspended (it is under review) the activity but when i left i heard that they were about to bring it back in. So by the time you join it would hopefully be available again :)

12/ Aha no. Most people don't even like science fiction or planes for that matter :p

13/ Nope, everyone is mixed. But classes are held in stages (sort of like year levels).

14/ No, there's no pressure at all. As i have said, most people don't want to join the ADF at all and just want to go because it's fun. I know plenty of people who go and want to be Dentists, teachers, scientists etc. There are of course people who go to cadets because they wish to join the ADF but the majority actually don't want to. Of course there will probably be people from the ADF helping out so if you want to join, there's plenty of people you could ask information from. There's also a career like day where people form the ADF come and tell you what the ADF is offering. Besides that there's nothing though.

15/ It's a LOT of fun. I'd recommend trying it. It's not for everyone but if you love it, you'll love it. And if you don't like it at first, stick with it for a while. You'll find that everyone becomes friendlier and things only get better as you gain more experience (and more importantly ranks :p).
Gee, thanks for the very informative reply! Is it still too late to join at 16? Before the Queensladner got injured where did you guys learn your prelimenary parachuting course? Did you guys learn it at Holsworthy at the home of 3RAR :)( it's a shame it's going mech. infantry in 2011) Oh, and because you were AAFC, did you get to fly a plane?

Thanks again and just out of curiostiy, why did the RAAF buy P-51 Mustangs in the place place of F86 Sabres during the Korean War?!

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It's never too late to join, trust me. I joined when i was about 16 XD

I don't know about the whole parachuting thing. It wasn't available because of the Queenslander ==" Sorry, i'll ask my friends who still go though for you :)

If you want to fly a plane you'll have a pay XD As it's flying a plane it's quite expensive but through the AAFC it's half the rate you'd pay outside cadets! I personally never flew a plane.. it wasn't why i joined... i just needed something to keep my mind off school for a few hours each week :p

I'm not quite sure why they replaced the Sabres (never really paid attention in air recognition/aviation class) but i would assume the Mustangs would be either more effective or they were cheaper aha. Try googling it :)

Kittikhun

HSC
It's never too late to join, trust me. I joined when i was about 16 XD

I don't know about the whole parachuting thing. It wasn't available because of the Queenslander ==" Sorry, i'll ask my friends who still go though for you :)

If you want to fly a plane you'll have a pay XD As it's flying a plane it's quite expensive but through the AAFC it's half the rate you'd pay outside cadets! I personally never flew a plane.. it wasn't why i joined... i just needed something to keep my mind off school for a few hours each week :p

I'm not quite sure why they replaced the Sabres (never really paid attention in air recognition/aviation class) but i would assume the Mustangs would be either more effective or they were cheaper aha. Try googling it :)
Cool. I just called them a few minutes ago and I'm going to my local unit on the first Friday back at school. It's going to be awesome!

How much did you have to pay to fly if you still were in AAFC?

It's kind of strange since the P51 was a propellor-powered plane while the Sabre was a jet-powered one. I would rather fly a post-WWII Sabre against a MIG anyday rather than an obselete WWII one! (though the P51 did play a good role in Vietnam as a close-air support aircraft for the infantry)

Last question, annabackwards. Did you fire a weapon during your stint with the AAFC? If you did, how was it? Did you get bruises on your shoulder after your shooting on the range?! :p

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. You've changed my life!

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Cool. I just called them a few minutes ago and I'm going to my local unit on the first Friday back at school. It's going to be awesome!

How much did you have to pay to fly if you still were in AAFC?

It's kind of strange since the P51 was a propellor-powered plane while the Sabre was a jet-powered one. I would rather fly a post-WWII Sabre against a MIG anyday rather than an obselete WWII one! (though the P51 did play a good role in Vietnam as a close-air support aircraft for the infantry)

Last question, annabackwards. Did you fire a weapon during your stint with the AAFC? If you did, how was it? Did you get bruises on your shoulder after your shooting on the range?! :p

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. You've changed my life!
That's awesome! I hope you enjoy it :D Try and enjoy drill, it's quite fun if you actually try and you look awesome doing it together if you do it correctly :p

I believe it was $150 for 1 hour or something, but it was about $300 per hour outside of the AAFC oO

Wow, that is weird about the planes. I'd fly the jet powered plane over a propeller one any day (yeah, we learnt about the different type of plane engines :D)

Yes, i did fire a weapon. The BRNO 303 - I loved it. Aha, nah no bruises. We had to wear ear muffs and they were quite strict with safety precautions but being able to hold and fire a rifle was an amazing experience! I'd recommend it :D

I'm glad that i've helped you :)

Try and hang in as long as you can, and be friendly. As long as you don't do something that the officers tell you not to do, they'll be nice to you hehe ^^

lopo69

HSC
N/A
Hey mate, good to see you have an interest in the Australian Army Cadets, what is it like now that you're in the cadets?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)