Anyone interested in the UNSW dept. of Aviation?? (1 Viewer)

weirdguy99

HSC
N/A
Being a pilot would be fun =))
Also, you dont need to be a super smart student, just a medical, interview and around 80UAI (depending if they have too many people for the amount of slots they have).

mr.tos

HSC
Well the course costs up to 120k. In return, if you are lucky enough to get a job you will be living in the middle of no-where and lucky to earn 30k a year.

Sounds very fun doesn't it!

F

filofr3ak

Most aviators can earn up from 180,000 to 200,000 a year...

ozgypo

HSC
i wanna get a recreational poilts license does any1 know how many years it will take and if you can have glasses (light plane)

mr.tos

HSC
haha.. If you are a captain at Qantas you will earn that. But you wont be in that position untill you are at least 40. Most new pilots get paid about 40k pa living up north. Don't think it's easy money either.

i wanna get a recreational poilts license does any1 know how many years it will take and if you can have glasses (light plane)
You can knock over a PPL in a year easily. Wearing glasses should be fine, you will need to check that out when you get your class 2 medical.

ozgypo

HSC
how would you go about getten a license though i dont wanna go to uni for it

F

filofr3ak

plus... No clubbing... :( thats gay

though you can still club but gotta wear ear plugs...

if you wanna keep your job

AshRaiz-Symon

HSC
Yes provided they have been with an airline for more than 10 years and are a senior captain or check captain

HSC
how would you go about getten a license though i dont wanna go to uni for it
Check out flying schools at your local recreational airfield. For Sydney that would be Bankstown. Have a trial flight (usually about $90 or so for 20min or so in the air) and going from that book your first lesson and so on. Depending on how you're finding it, what feedback your instructor is giving, then go get your medical (about $160) and apply for your student licence (SPL, about $100 if I remember). From there its all about building up your skills and hours to go solo, which is usually about 20 hours, though depends on your skill, how frequently you go etc.

After your first solo you do more solos and dual flights, building new skills such as navigation etc. Then you need to hit the books and study for the BAK (Basic Aeronautical Knowledge) exam and ultimately the PPL (Private Pilot License) exam.

I started flying last year and have 15 hours, was about to go solo but a whole host of problems came along and now I'm in no position financially to continue. Lessons are about $200 an hour here in Canberra, and I imagine in Sydney they'd be a bit more. It takes dedication, but if you've got it it is the most rewarding thing. I cannot wait to get in the air again.

As a Captain at a legacy airline such as QF, yes, however in order to get hired as a First officer at any airline you need a minimum number of hours, anywhere between 200-500. For the majority of aviators in Australia building that experienece, they head out to the bush or up to Northern QLD or NT and do charter flights or crop dusting etc. It is far from the glamor that is associated with being a pilot and as mr.tos said, the pay is pretty low for the long hours worked.

Hope this helps...

alwaysforever

HSC
Being a pilot would be fun =))
Also, you dont need to be a super smart student, just a medical, interview and around 80UAI (depending if they have too many people for the amount of slots they have).
you serious??
Can you verify that??
How do you apply for it? So 80 uai and thats all!? WOW

MasterSifu

HSC
yes last year the UAI requirement for Aviation (Flying) was 80UAI and i think Aviation (Management) was 76. The course is certainly expensive though i think HECS is available(not too sure). If you're interested in entering the aviation industry of flying theres 3 ways;

a) Go to a university / TAFE complete the course
b) Apply for an apprenticeship in major airlines, u can apply for this apprenticeship even if you have NO knowledge of aviation. (though it is not guarantee employment after the training provided)
c) Join the military and grab some flying hours there while working and getting paid and fulfilling requirements.

Also it doesn't take until your 40 to be a captain in Qantas, i know a pilot friend in Qantas his a captain for B737 and his only like early 30s.

mr_robato

HSC
you serious??
Can you verify that??
How do you apply for it? So 80 uai and thats all!? WOW

+$105 000 on top of your HECS (UP FRONT FROM YOUR POCKET) for the flying training part)...

B Aviation (management) is however the non pilot/paper+pen career option.

TheStallion

HSC
Or alternatively, take a look at the B.Tech(Avn) at ADFA. Obviously the testing is extremely stringent, and as a result, you need to be extremely good, and it's also obviously military flight/life, which a lot of people won't like, but on the upside - no fees for studying! :)

I was recently accepted past the first two interviews/aptitude testing, through to the flight screening program at Tamworth, so if anyone has any questions about the testing and interviews, feel free to ask me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)