Anyone into photography? (1 Viewer)

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Whats a decent camera one could use for motorsports?

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Spend your money on lenses. The 7D is a really nice choice with its video capabilities but honestly you could pick up any DSLR and get a nice lens and take great photos.
What overall budget are you looking at?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Budget/bang for buck.
I bought julie a Nikon L110 and it holds its own, but i doubt it would keep up with a 180kmh crotchrocket.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
On track days ill be stuck in pits/stands.
On normal rides anywhere from 5m onwards.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Had a go at some astrophotography.

Bolt

hashtagswag
HSC
Long-time reader, first time poster here. Been photographing for the best part of two years, and loved every moment of it. I've always been intrigued by the night sky astronomy, so I guess the pair went hand-in-hand. Don't have a proper telescope I can use for photography, but I make do.

I uploaded a few of my better shots today... Not everything is astrophotography.

Fly-by by zmechua, on Flickr

Looking up by zmechua, on Flickr

Wonderfull by zmechua, on Flickr

Taxi! by zmechua, on Flickr

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Long-time reader, first time poster here. Been photographing for the best part of two years, and loved every moment of it. I've always been intrigued by the night sky astronomy, so I guess the pair went hand-in-hand. Don't have a proper telescope I can use for photography, but I make do.

I uploaded a few of my better shots today... Not everything is astrophotography.

Fly-by by zmechua, on Flickr

Looking up by zmechua, on Flickr

Wonderfull by zmechua, on Flickr

Taxi! by zmechua, on Flickr
Nice photos man ! get yourself some L lenses, you'll love them. I have a 17-40L and 70-200L and they're amazing.

Bolt

hashtagswag
HSC
Nice photos man ! get yourself some L lenses, you'll love them. I have a 17-40L and 70-200L and they're amazing.
Thanks dude! I saw a few of your images too and I loved them. Have you done astrophotography? I've been eyeing the 70-200mm 2.8L and 16-35mm 2.8L, but unfortunately my funds are very limited... :C Perhaps when I'm in uni I'll get a job to fund my expensive taste. Just bought my 430 EX II last week (gonna arrive soon!), and my next major purchase after the HSC will probably be the Samyang 14mm 2.8.

Need... Money...

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Thanks dude! I saw a few of your images too and I loved them. Have you done astrophotography? I've been eyeing the 70-200mm 2.8L and 16-35mm 2.8L, but unfortunately my funds are very limited... :C Perhaps when I'm in uni I'll get a job to fund my expensive taste. Just bought my 430 EX II last week (gonna arrive soon!), and my next major purchase after the HSC will probably be the Samyang 14mm 2.8.

Need... Money...
Nope, never tried it before but it looks difficult, any tips? I tried the 16-35mm but couldn't justify the additional price for what I use it for (landscapes). If you're doing low light stuff then buy the 16-35, but if its just mainly landscapes it isn't worth the extra money because you're paying for the 2.8. Filters for it are also a bitch to get, I'm pretty sure it has a 82mm filter size.

I have been meaning to buy a flash. I'm doing some weddings as an assistant in a few months so obviously I will need one as the 5D MKII doesn't have one, not that a pop up flash would be of any use... What do you think about the yongnuo 565ex, heard some good reviews on it and I don't really want to spend big money on a flash atm.

I have also heard good things about the Samyang, its quite a good video lens or just general purpose if you can adjust to manual focus.

We all need more money, a 85mm 1.2 would be amazing.

Bolt

hashtagswag
HSC
Nope, never tried it before but it looks difficult, any tips? I tried the 16-35mm but couldn't justify the additional price for what I use it for (landscapes). If you're doing low light stuff then buy the 16-35, but if its just mainly landscapes it isn't worth the extra money because you're paying for the 2.8. Filters for it are also a bitch to get, I'm pretty sure it has a 82mm filter size.

I have been meaning to buy a flash. I'm doing some weddings as an assistant in a few months so obviously I will need one as the 5D MKII doesn't have one, not that a pop up flash would be of any use... What do you think about the yongnuo 565ex, heard some good reviews on it and I don't really want to spend big money on a flash atm.

I have also heard good things about the Samyang, its quite a good video lens or just general purpose if you can adjust to manual focus.

We all need more money, a 85mm 1.2 would be amazing.
Yeah, I do a lot of low-light photography (parties, functions, family shizzle, etc.) as well as landscapes, so the 2.8 gives me a lot of flexibility in that sense I love the natural look that comes from a low aperture as opposed to an external flash, the 2.8 gives me a load of flexibility. Ah, but I should be able to get filters online though. Either way that won't be for another few years I bet.

Yeah, you're definitely going to need one. I was keen on buying a Yongnuo before, but I decided against it because of warranty issues and the odd story about getting a lemon. I figured I might end up spending more on replacement flashes than I would on a trusty Canon, so I opted for the 430. The reviews on the Yongnuo are great when they work, but I always get scared when I hear about units being DOA and people having extreme trouble claiming warranty from China. I ordered my 430 from d-d-photographics for $280 including the Stofen Omnibounce (free postage, and without the omnibounce it would have been $258) - it's a wonderful price compared to some $300+ when ordering from some HK grey importers (-cough-, DigitalRev, -cough-).

Mm, I've heard amazing stories about their lenses, and their 14mm is generally regarded as the messiah of nightscape lenses. The quality of their optics for the night sky is second to none.

That would be pretty sweet... A 6D/5D MKIII to complement it would be sick too.

I want a full-frame.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm liking your Tiffany picture.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Both you and nexusbrah (a few posts up) have really nice shots! Well done! What setup do you have?
I used a super macro setting and a tripod :D (Super macro is for like 1cm away)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)