• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone into photography? (4 Viewers)

turntaker

HSC
f1.8 is great value for money lens, should replace kit lens IMO lol, its just that ppl hate prime's coz of fixed focal length
Noobs who start out hate primes thinking that zoom is very important. They forget the fact that you can use your feet to move and zoom that way. (I was guilty of this) :p
I like primes becausds they are light, are great in low light are cheaper smaller and have great image quality.
I was looking at the Tamron, any further comments about it? The main reason i'm interested is because of the IS, it really shits me that Canon are charging upwards of 2k for a 24-70 with no IS.

I still use it on my 5d mk ii, i don't see a need to upgrade to a f1.4/1.2 tbh.
Its a really sharp lens. It is the same sharpness at the Centre as the canon L lens but gets softer closer to the corners. It is fully weather sealed and has "IS". It is slightly slower at focusing but its not a big deal. Its a great lens for the price. If I was rich I would buy the canon but for the price the tamron is really nice and feels really premium.
can any1 tell me the difference between a dslr and a mirrorless camera
DSLR has a mirror which sends the light to the viewfinder and it lets you see what the lens is seeing.
When you switch to livefiew the mirror flicks up and the light hits the digital sensor which displays it on the screen. This shows what the final image would look like.
Mirror less systems don't have a mirror and only have a screen or a digital viewfinder. The light always hits the sensor.
Usually mirrorless has slower focus.
ik lol but logically f1.2 isn't really useable (well i don't really like the look of basically nothing in focus).

Three Sisters by Daniel_95, on Flickr

Darling Harbour Fireworks by Daniel_95, on Flickr

Observatory Hill by Daniel_95, on Flickr

Sydney Motorsport Park by Daniel_95, on Flickr

IMG_0950 by Daniel_95, on Flickr
Its not usable at 1.2 but it has better image quality at higher apertures compared to other lenses. Most primes aren't sharpest at their widest aperture. A f/1.8 lens is much sharper at 2.8 then at 1.8. Same with f.1.2 it would be much sharper at 1.8 then at f1.2.

BTW you have really sharp pics. I'm gonna follow your flicks. I shall post some of my flickr pics too.

astroman

HSC
I don't want to risk my camera falling off lol. Additionally, putting it on a ledge really limits your composition choices so i'd recommend investing in a moderately priced tripod, stay away from cheap crap.
haha lol i only have a shit tripod that came for free with my camera...i'm gonna buy good gear after HSC.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
which tripod do u have??
manfrotto 055xprob

Wish i spent an extra $200 on the carbon version because the weight is a killer. It isn't as bad now though because i bought one of these off ebay ($15) so it is much easier to carry.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Noobs who start out hate primes thinking that zoom is very important. They forget the fact that you can use your feet to move and zoom that way. (I was guilty of this) :p
I like primes becausds they are light, are great in low light are cheaper smaller and have great image quality.

Its a really sharp lens. It is the same sharpness at the Centre as the canon L lens but gets softer closer to the corners. It is fully weather sealed and has "IS". It is slightly slower at focusing but its not a big deal. Its a great lens for the price. If I was rich I would buy the canon but for the price the tamron is really nice and feels really premium.

DSLR has a mirror which sends the light to the viewfinder and it lets you see what the lens is seeing.
When you switch to livefiew the mirror flicks up and the light hits the digital sensor which displays it on the screen. This shows what the final image would look like.
Mirror less systems don't have a mirror and only have a screen or a digital viewfinder. The light always hits the sensor.
Usually mirrorless has slower focus.

Its not usable at 1.2 but it has better image quality at higher apertures compared to other lenses. Most primes aren't sharpest at their widest aperture. A f/1.8 lens is much sharper at 2.8 then at 1.8. Same with f.1.2 it would be much sharper at 1.8 then at f1.2.

BTW you have really sharp pics. I'm gonna follow your flicks. I shall post some of my flickr pics too.
Ay let's see some of your work :)

astroman

HSC
manfrotto 055xprob

Wish i spent an extra $200 on the carbon version because the weight is a killer. It isn't as bad now though because i bought one of these off ebay ($15) so it is much easier to carry.

i want a really small compact one that can extend to a decent size as well, i.e. 5ft+. really want to just put it in my backpack.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Photoshop here :)

I'm pretty happy with it , cause there is a "batch processor" for it

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I use both LR & PS, however i find LR is much better for timelapse purposes (sync post processing settings)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)