• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone into photography? (2 Viewers)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
yes but full frame is not the answer to taking good photos. Most amateurs blame their crop frame sensor for not being able to take photos. You can get images which are the same quality as a full frame. Also 35mm was the smallest film and most photographers wanted to shoot medium format or higher.
Full frame is good but its not that different to an APS-C camera. I don't think its worth spending 3000+ on a 5D Mark III if you are only doing it for fun. Eventually the production cost of digital sensors will become cheaper and 35mm sensors will be a standard in DSLRs and larger mirrorless systems.
Getty images mate

astroman

HSC
yes but full frame is not the answer to taking good photos. Most amateurs blame their crop frame sensor for not being able to take photos. You can get images which are the same quality as a full frame. Also 35mm was the smallest film and most photographers wanted to shoot medium format or higher.
Full frame is good but its not that different to an APS-C camera. I don't think its worth spending 3000+ on a 5D Mark III if you are only doing it for fun. Eventually the production cost of digital sensors will become cheaper and 35mm sensors will be a standard in DSLRs and larger mirrorless systems.
i agree with the point of having an expensive asset that is not used to its best capabilities, i would rather buy a decent camera body like a d5300 and invest the majority of cash into lenses.

astroman

HSC
I have a MK II. Great camera, can't really comment on the 6D.

That being said, i wouldn't bother going from a MK II to a 6D. My next upgrade will be the 5D MK IV when it eventually comes out (or a MK III if the price is tempting).
r u gonna keep the MK II or sell it?

astroman

HSC
I still don't understand F-Stops lolol
i was really keen on getting a decent dslr after the HSC like d5300 but i watched some vids and read some articles and they say that a crop factor affects focal length as well as f-stop, i.e. a 50mm f1.8 lens would become a 75mm f2.7 lens on a crop sensor, its really confusing me, i don't want to lose the light capturing capabilities and bokeh...i'm still not 100% sure how this works though, need some pro tips.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
This is pretty good

[video]http://petapixel.com/2013/05/19/how-to-shoot-day-to-night-time-lapses-using-bulb-ramping/[/video]

i was really keen on getting a decent dslr after the HSC like d5300 but i watched some vids and read some articles and they say that a crop factor affects focal length as well as f-stop, i.e. a 50mm f1.8 lens would become a 75mm f2.7 lens on a crop sensor, its really confusing me, i don't want to lose the light capturing capabilities and bokeh...i'm still not 100% sure how this works though, need some pro tips.
Crop factor doesn't affest f-stop, only focal length. If a lens was made specifically for 35mm format (full frame) such as your old 50mm 1.8, on a crop sensor this focal length with be longer because the sensor is 1.6* smaller than the full frame sensor. Due to this, you pretty much just 50 *1.6 = 80mm focal length on a crop sensor.

You'll also find that crop sensors are less likely to vignette because they're only using the middle part of the lens (does this make sense?). You won't see the edges of the 50mm because it was made for a full frame camera. Obviously this is ONLY the case if you have a full frame lens on a crop sensor, specific kit lens etc designer for your crop sensor won't behave like this.

astroman

HSC
This is pretty good

[video]http://petapixel.com/2013/05/19/how-to-shoot-day-to-night-time-lapses-using-bulb-ramping/[/video]

Crop factor doesn't affest f-stop, only focal length. If a lens was made specifically for 35mm format (full frame) such as your old 50mm 1.8, on a crop sensor this focal length with be longer because the sensor is 1.6* smaller than the full frame sensor. Due to this, you pretty much just 50 *1.6 = 80mm focal length on a crop sensor.

You'll also find that crop sensors are less likely to vignette because they're only using the middle part of the lens (does this make sense?). You won't see the edges of the 50mm because it was made for a full frame camera. Obviously this is ONLY the case if you have a full frame lens on a crop sensor, specific kit lens etc designer for your crop sensor won't behave like this.

do you lose resolution and increase noise coz of the zoom in that the crop creates

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
do you lose resolution and increase noise coz of the zoom in that the crop creates
No, this relates to the sensor size. The bigger the sensor, the more light it records.

The main features that make full frame better is the low light performance (forget flash, compare apples with apples).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
No, this relates to the sensor size. The bigger the sensor, the more light it records.

The main features that make full frame better is the low light performance (forget flash, compare apples with apples).
Good Low light performance = you can put your iso up to 6400 or even 12800 :) (for an expensive camera)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)