Anyone know modern historians for Pompeii/Herc?? (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys!!

Anyone got any modern historians to share for Pompeii and Herculaneum??/

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Andrew Wallace-Hadrill is superb for Housing and current conservation of the site.
Ray Laurence is pretty good for housing in Pompeii, and also societal structure.
Paul Zanker is good for the public and private life of people in Pompeii and Herculaneum.

But you would more so be using archaeological evidence more so than modern scholarly for Pompeii and Herculaneum. n_n

Galladrim

HSC
Andrew Wallace-Hadrill is superb for Housing and current conservation of the site.
Ray Laurence is pretty good for housing in Pompeii, and also societal structure.
Paul Zanker is good for the public and private life of people in Pompeii and Herculaneum.

But you would more so be using archaeological evidence more so than modern scholarly for Pompeii and Herculaneum. n_n
You'd think so, but they're asking questions on research/impact, and getting us to demonstrate changing methods etc. Having a name that you can put down and what these historians have done is easier to remember and adds weight to your answer. I think a lot of these people aren't historians in the strictest sense of the word, because they are so engaged in the field.

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
You'd think so, but they're asking questions on research/impact, and getting us to demonstrate changing methods etc. Having a name that you can put down and what these historians have done is easier to remember and adds weight to your answer. I think a lot of these people aren't historians in the strictest sense of the word, because they are so engaged in the field.
Oh yes of course, I was more so referring to Section II of the P+H Syllabus rather than section III, which is directed largely at the archaeologists of the sites throughout the history. Of course, you would want to know historians (well, archaeologists really) when the question is asking about changing methodologies, research / impacts, conservation / preservation and ethics. Which in the case you would be talking about Mau, Mairui, Fiorellia, Spinazzola, Zevi and Guzzo to name a few.

michaeljennings

HSC
Which in the case you would be talking about Mau, Mairui, Fiorellia, Spinazzola, Zevi and Guzzo to name a few.
Also the more recent historians such as Sarah Bisel (For conservation/reconstruction + ethical issues as well), and Estelle Lazer

But yeah, cos section 2 is purely evidence based, you only need them for answering section 3, especially the changing methods/contributions section

Fake-Name

HSC
Also the more recent historians such as Sarah Bisel (For conservation/reconstruction + ethical issues as well), and Estelle Lazer

But yeah, cos section 2 is purely evidence based, you only need them for answering section 3, especially the changing methods/contributions section
I've realised that Zevi, Guzzo and Lazer can be used for any possible question on the archeologist/conservation/etc. question. They work with the changing nature of archaeology, conservation, reconstruction, and I reckon I could make Lazer work for ethical issues.

I've never heard of Sarah Bisel, I'll look her up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)