Anyone need help? (1 Viewer)

teeah

HSC
Quick summary:

Overall programs have been effective, suggested by a decrease in the number of cases being reported.
How?

Polio:
-viral infection, global epidemic
-realised effects, mass vaccination program started, parternership of who, rotary international
-many countries have been completely eradicated of polio
-some cases occur in countries without access to adequate health care (developing) and in areas where people have chosen to not be vaccinated

Diphtheria: bacterial infection, common cause of children's deaths in teh 19th century
-case number fell after mass vaccination
-people began to neglect immunisation and a resurgence occurred
-still effects countries with low immunisation rates

Smallpox: viral infection, results in high fever and rash
-deadly- caused 300million deaths in teh 20th century
-vaccine was available in 1840, but not used
-continued to be a problem so in 1960 who started another mass vaccination campaign
-disease is now completely eradicated- not readily transferred so people no longer need vaccinations

:)

teeah

HSC
It was observed that a new insect species had a flat disk on the inner knee of each
foreleg.
How could you use a first-hand investigation and information from secondary
sources to determine if this structure functions as a tympanic membrane?

How on earth do you answer this? Please help
Use a hand lens or place under a microscope to observe the structure on the leg
Get another member of its species and see how the organism reacts to the sound produced by its fellow insect I.e. does it turn its head to face it, does it make a sound back
Cover the structure on the forelimb thought to hear the sound and then observe how it reacts when it can't 'hear' or has diminished hearing
Try covering one leg at a time and see if it can recognise the source of the sound accurately etc

cornchips1

HSC
Was it viruses that can't be treated by antibiotics because it also kills the host cells?

teeah

HSC
Was it viruses that can't be treated by antibiotics because it also kills the host cells?
Antibiotics are treated for bacterial infections as they act by attacking the cell wall of the bacteria or stopping protein synthesis in the Bactria from occurring. Viruses are only composed of nucleic acid and protein, so it'd be ineffective.

Edit: so yeah, you're right because once the virus invades the host cell, if the antibiotic acts, it'll attack the host cell too.

:)

RishBonjour

HSC
antiBIOTICS --> BACTERIA.

antibiotics only and only treat bacteria. they don't treat fungi or virus.
Virus are not really treated properly for instance, swine flu, it can only be suppressed (e.g. tamiflu) and then your immune response does the magic.

Blocy

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, just this dot point I need confirmation of:

Process and analyse information from secondary sources to evaluate the effectiveness of vaccination programs in preventing the spread and occurrence of once common diseases including smallpox, diptheria and polio.
Smallpox has been eradicated following a program by the World Health Organisation, who had mass vaccinations of countries that the disease and by 1980, it was declared to be eradicated.

Diptheria is part of the childhood immunisation program, and is relatively good in developed, Western countries, with 80% of children being immunised against it. However in many African countries this rate is lower, at 50%. Thus it is relatively effective in developed countries, not so effective in developing countries.

Polio, following the creation of a vaccine has been effectively and substantially reduced, eliminated in all but seven countries across the world, thus it is mostly effective.

RishBonjour

HSC
interesting stat on polio--> after mass vaccination in India, polio cases fell from 200,000 to only 1 in 2011. (no joke--> bill gates website)

RishBonjour

HSC
can someone outline the history of the cause of malaria?

Blocy

HSC
N/A
1880: Laveran observed malaria parasite in blood
1898 Grassi suggestsed that Anopheles mosquito was the vector of malaria
1899: Ross established that Plasmodium was the cause of malaria.
1934: Andersay discovered chloroquin
1939 DDT was discovered
1955+ WHO started campaign to reduce number of mosquitos using insecticides and drugs, however this campaign ran out of funds and ended up increasing resistence within the mosquito population

teeah

HSC
Anyone want to go through Beadle and Tatum really quick? Because I find them particularly annoying :p

RishBonjour

HSC
Anyone want to go through Beadle and Tatum really quick? Because I find them particularly annoying :p
oh god. I spent like 2 days on that dot point alone a few months back. We don't have to know it in detail though.

Basically
- They used a bread mould (nourospora or something) and grew it on a minimal media (containing things such as sugar, salts, vitamins that are essential for growth)
- Exposed them to X-ray to cause mutation--> some no longer grew on the minimal media but had to have a certain amino acid added in order for it to grow
- hypothesised that X-ray mutated a gene --> enzyme mutated --> didn't make essential amino acids.

Blocy

HSC
N/A
They worked on bread mould and mutated forms of bread mould to find that genes were responsible for making enzymes = one gene, one enzyme. But this later changed to one gene, one protein when they found that now all proteins are enzymes. Again this was changed to one gene, one polypeptide when it was found taht proteins are chains of aminoacids/polypeptides.

Is anyone else still on? :O

RishBonjour

HSC
1880: Laveran observed malaria parasite in blood
1898 Grassi suggestsed that Anopheles mosquito was the vector of malaria
1899: Ross established that Plasmodium was the cause of malaria.
1934: Andersay discovered chloroquin
1939 DDT was discovered
1955+ WHO started campaign to reduce number of mosquitos using insecticides and drugs, however this campaign ran out of funds and ended up increasing resistence within the mosquito population

Ohh I remember a few more things. let me fill it

1880--> charles laveran
1885--> Marchiafava and chelli (I think thats how you spell it) named the parasite plasmodium and found it could be transmitted through infected blood
1886--> Camilo Golgi--> two types of malaria parasites, one which caused fever on alternate days, the other which caused fever every 2 days
umm, than 12 years later (thats how i remember things)
1898--> Grassi
1899 --> ross

although Grassi and Ross, different sources have them in different time slots, rather confusing.

RishBonjour

HSC
They worked on bread mould and mutated forms of bread mould to find that genes were responsible for making enzymes = one gene, one enzyme. But this later changed to one gene, one protein when they found that now all proteins are enzymes. Again this was changed to one gene, one polypeptide when it was found taht proteins are chains of aminoacids/polypeptides.

m8. i'm staying on till 3 am. studying search for better health now and then communication.

just going to rely on my short term memory. (hopefully I don't blank out)

teeah

HSC
m8. i'm staying on till 3 am. studying search for better health now and then communication.
Ugh, I think I may be in the same boat :/ trying to keep myself awake by overdosing on softdrinks and its not working lol.

oh god. I spent like 2 days on that dot point alone a few months back. We don't have to know it in detail though.

Basically
- They used a bread mould (nourospora or something) and grew it on a minimal media (containing things such as sugar, salts, vitamins that are essential for growth)
- Exposed them to X-ray to cause mutation--> some no longer grew on the minimal media but had to have a certain amino acid added in order for it to grow
- hypothesised that X-ray mutated a gene --> enzyme mutated --> didn't make essential amino acids.
Thanks a tonne! :)

Thanks, and yep :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)