Anyone really dislike extension history? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Does anyone here really dislike extension history?
I did extension history because I love history, I’m doing ancient and modern as well but I have just found it really crappy and pointless. My teacher is a very vague man who trails off in the middle of sentences and I nearly fall asleep every Tuesday and Friday morning when I go to it.
It’s a shame, because I think, I could like this subject a little bit more with a better teacher but as it is it seems pointless- a good cure for insomnia.
I don’t know what I was expecting from extension history but a lot of this stuff is really rubbish. Anyone agree with me?

Wilsmore

HSC
I suggest an Irish Creme Latte (exempt of whiskey) just before you leave for Extension. I do Ancient and Modern as well as Extension. I find it challenging and enjoyable. It's unlike any other subject because it makes you question what is reality and what is history.

I think it might be your teacher because mine is fine. Also, the last thing i want to be doing at 7:30am is sitting in a smelly classroom.

Stick with it!!!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
ElendilPeredhil said:
Does anyone here really dislike extension history?
I did extension history because I love history, I’m doing ancient and modern as well but I have just found it really crappy and pointless. My teacher is a very vague man who trails off in the middle of sentences and I nearly fall asleep every Tuesday and Friday morning when I go to it.
It’s a shame, because I think, I could like this subject a little bit more with a better teacher but as it is it seems pointless- a good cure for insomnia.
I don’t know what I was expecting from extension history but a lot of this stuff is really rubbish. Anyone agree with me?

I like it. Adore it in fact.
My teacher is amazing.
I have it from 1pm-3pm on Wednesday afternoons during the sport period [baha, no sport for me]
But I can't for the life of me, write a decent history extension essay.
Anyone got a method to this madness?

taki999

HSC
^ how come you do ext.his during sport? Do you more then 2 extension subjects??
Yeah sometimes feel ext his is boring cause my teacher isnt really taking about my core topic napoleon by talking about more on how to construct our essays, which is a good thing is some aspects but i just wish he did more on napoleon and less blabbering...

Ludlum

HSC
its a dry subject to start off with, we were warned of this before we started and a few of our class ppl hav dropped it since, thers alot of reading involved and if ur not really keen on the subject i suggest not doin it because it can become a burden, especially if u do other subjects with large work loads, but i enjoy it, i lyk the whole debate aspect, its very interesting.

there is however a lot of content to cover, particularly for a one unit course, personally i think it should be worth 2 units...

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
If you check my signature, you can see i'm in the process of dropping :rofl: .
I have two teachers for the subject (one for historiography and one for the case study) and they're both fine. My reasons for dropping are as follows:
- Case Study: the Spanish Conquest of the Aztecs. I only do ancient history for a reason. This was probably of most significance.
- Random periods: All our classes are 0's or 8ths (in a 7 period day)
- Half yearly exam: that was yesterday and i'm pretty sure i failed miserably. The Aztec question was barely attempted and i'm certain this trend would have continued.

I do regret dropping it though- I was really looking forward to my major assessment (Friedrich Nietzsche- "Thus Spake Zarauthustra") and learning the historiography aspect. I'm a philosophy nut.

There's only two people in the class now (excluding me). One can't drop and I predict the other will drop soon as most of his classes include major assessments. Lol you now have my life story.

S

samcg

i used to do extension history, but dropped it for
1. it was a lot of work for 1 unit
2. i do modern history for a reason, the crusades is not modern
it was good though, i like the early morning classes, although i have that with maths extension as well, and our class had about 8 people in it which was good
the best thing about extension history was the project, i was looking forward to doing mine on aboriginal genocide, but apart from that, i could use my time more wisely on other subjects. i think that's the main reason some other people dropped it as well. dont you think?

Wilsmore

HSC
I think the idea of dropping a course comes into all our heads when we see our classmembers dropping like flies. My extension history class was 9 at the start of the year...now its 4.

Also the topic is time consuming and i guess you need to be committed to it. But i think they should rethink its worth because as a one unit course it has the equivalent workload of any of my two unit courses.

This is something i found very interesting. Scoring a Band 5 in extension history is harder to do then in any of the other extension courses. Basically that means we are officially being shafted!!!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
I love history extension, but seeing that i barely have the class and because it's my 11th unit i don't feel that i'm commited to the subject at all. what i've been contemplating about is dropping sor2 to 1unit so i can be more focused on history ext, but the problem is that i still have trouble interrepting sources and also writing essays. Also i realised that we are now going to have a different teacher next term = = ;;

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Scoring a Band 5 in any extension course is impossible. :)

Webby: Serves you right for doing Cosmo :p Philosophy is so where it's at.

Major work wise, I've got two for Drama, one for EE2, one for Music 1 (plus various performances), one for Modern History and one for Extension History. *sigh*

lil_miz_gigglez

HSC
6 MAJOR WORKS WOW!!! The most a person has at our school is 3 or 4 at the most.

Anywho, Hist. Ext. IS a lot of work and does require a lot of commitment, AND it should be classified as a 2 unit subject however, I think that it is not as bad as ElendilPeredhil thinks it is, but i think it's just your teacher. However I was lucky enough to have a good teacher who splits the time between our case study – Napoleon and “What Is History” evenly.

As for it being impossible to get a band 5, our teacher said it’s pretty achievable.
If there’s a down side it would be the amount of information that you have to memorise, other than that, its not a bad subject.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Asheroth said:
Scoring a Band 5 in any extension course is impossible. :)

Webby: Serves you right for doing Cosmo :p Philosophy is so where it's at.

Major work wise, I've got two for Drama, one for EE2, one for Music 1 (plus various performances), one for Modern History and one for Extension History. *sigh*
Just wondering, what's your major work for modern history for?

fukskool

HSC
Extension hisroty is shit....im cureently doing moern history but extension really bored me because we wre learning about fuking neapolean and his shit box adventures also WHAT IS HISTORY...my answer to that HU DA FUK CARES....

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
fukskool said:
Extension hisroty is shit....im cureently doing moern history but extension really bored me because we wre learning about fuking neapolean and his shit box adventures also WHAT IS HISTORY...my answer to that HU DA FUK CARES....
ur lyk so gangstah bruh.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
Isn't there only 4 bands for history ext?? Anyways.. I think that since its nearly the end of term one, don't drop history ext~! History ext really isn't that difficult... my teacher photocopies heaps of sheets and we just have to learn them, so I just think all you need to do is maybe take out an hour or so each week to read over the stuff for hist ext. i mean, you do know that the first question will be on what is history and the second ques will be on your case study. Personally, I find that m.history exams is more difficult because of the spectrum of things to learn for it. The most difficult aspect of this course would be the mw but remember, its only like 6 pages or something and your teacher is marking it so they will try their best to give you a good mark :) I think that most of the time people just drop it because of the psychological aspect of watching alot of other people dropping the course. Our class shrunk from 20 to 9 and 2 more dropped out an hour before the half yearly exams.

maskva

Maskva
HSC
extension history = coolness.

except I wanted to do naploean and we got stuck with JFK
but he ain't that bad.

why would anyone have a major work for modern...thats just strange and kinda mean.

Extension history scales really well, and there are only like 12 possible questions they can ask you in the hsc or something, and youre already have finished the course basically, no point in stopping now.

Ludlum

HSC
i think it would make more sense to have the major work externally marked, it opens up a whole area of bias maakring etc and the result isnt affected by the exam paper as they r on entirely different topics

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
fukskool said:
Well fuck off out of my subject then. Oh, and learn to spell.

MH isn't really a 'major work', just a big research assignment. It's on the Cold War.

Wilsmore

HSC
How come your major works aren't marked externally? Ours are going to be taken to a centre where Extension History teachers from across the region will sit down mark them and then cross-reference-mark them.

"Fukskool"...I don’t know what your problem is but if you don’t like history then why do you even bother with it??? Why did you even join Extension History in the first place??? For a person that obviously holds no value for school your not exactly lightening your load by doing the Extension History course.

My major work is focusing on the Bushido Code in relation to Contemporary Japan. The major work should be 1/4 Historiography and 3/4 Essay Question. It's proving interesting but I’m glad it is challenging.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Wilsmore said:
How come your major works aren't marked externally? Ours are going to be taken to a centre where Extension History teachers from across the region will sit down mark them and then cross-reference-mark them.
I think thats the history teachers assoication competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)