anyone went from bad in year 11 to good in year 12 (1 Viewer)

beaubrah

HSC
I'm going fairly bad in year 11 so far (average and below average), has anyone did poorly in year 11 academically and did/doing well in year 12.

just curious :)

school rank: mid 70s

Subjects
Advanced maths
Advanced English
Physics
Biology
Software
SOR 1u

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What is your definition of doing 'well'? I know of people who slacked off in year 11 but picked up their game in year 12, so yes, it is impossible, but it is important that one consistently strives for improvement whilst they are in year 11, not wait for the start of year 12 (because attitude is a great determinator of how sustainable one's academic successes can be).

mkhanania

HSC
This is me. I moved to Australia in year 11 from America by myself. I was 17, and had a house to myself, and was the only one in my grade to not only have my license, but had my green p's already since I began driving earlier in America.

I was given $500 to buy my textbooks, but spent the money on an xbox instead. I didn't turn in over half my assessments and missed over 65 days of school, and got into a lot of trouble. I was young and so excited to explore my new city, plus I made friends with the wrong crowd and used drugs almost everyday.

Before HSC started, I got motivated to do really well, as I was sick of constantly having my school harrass me and getting me into trouble.
My year 11 ATAR predictor was 51
My year 12 ATAR predictor is currently 89.

Im ranked top 3 in all my subjects :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, there's probably plenty of success stories about past students doing below average in Year 11 (heck from K-10 as well) then excelling in Year 12.

However, if you do not have some foundation (e.g. study skills, some level of work ethic, basic knowledge) or if you haven't learnt from your Year 11 mistakes then you can't just expect to miraculously become a high achiever.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, my business marks especially have risen alot..

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
my jump was year 10 to year 11
although it isn't like year 11 to year 12, i think the same principles still apply. Just apply yourself a lot more and understand better what the courses are asking of you. I also developed a much better study ethic (although i still rely on cramming - it works for me but i wouldn't recommend doing it) and much more serious and focused attitude towards school. Eventually, I went from seriously average student (i was bombing out in maths, english was hopeless and what was science???) to coming 3rd in my grade in year 11 lol

in terms of year 11 to 12, people pick up their game a lot more so its best to begin developing at least a good work ethic in year 11 so when year 12 comes, you're already sitting above everyone else and the only thing you can really do is go up.

enoilgam

HSC
It is possible and it does happen, but it takes effort, application and most of all changes. You cant expect to turn things around by doing things the same or going at the same pace, you need to make changes to rectify the issues which have held you back in the past. That's why it isnt very common, because old habits die hard and the same things which hold people back in the early years hold them back during the HSC (and beyond for that matter).

anguyenh

HSC
I think the most important reason students pick up their game in Year 11/12 is because of the subjects they pick.

e.g. There are plenty of cases of students studying all the mandatory subjects (English, Maths, Science, Geography, History, PE) and getting extremely average/un-extraordinary reports, but once they choose the subjects they're actually keen on, their marks improve. But it all comes down to work ethic, motivation and enthusiasm I reckon.

Honestly, for me, the only reason I'm motivated to study in Year 12 is because, if I don't get a decent ATAR (in my mother's eyes) she's going to give me sh~t until the end of my life (like she's been doing to my brother) and she'll ship me off to another state/city to study Law.

In the case of my friend, s/he got above average marks for all of their subjects up until Year 10, did relatively well in Year 11, and now their ranks continuously drop because they chose subjects that "scaled well" and Asians were expected to do (you can guess). Now the course they figured they want to do has nothing to do with these subjects so her/his interest levels are dropping, dropping, dropping... just like their ranks.

miss study

HSC
i definately have. i came from being pretty mediocre to doing much better this year. i think coz this year i have a drive and a goal which i'm pretty determined to hitting at. however i guess im gonna have to wait until end of this year once i get my results then ill find out whether i've officially made the jump. :) until then though its not about what you did last year that determines what you do this year so yeah.. xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)