Anyone writing their own novel? (1 Viewer)

Advent_Penguin

HSC
Anyone writing/written/pondered about writing their own novels, short stories and like since ending the HSC?
If so, whats it about?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Perhaps take part in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, although it's kind of international now).. nanowrimo.org I think.

Nice way to write the great australian novel if you've never had the motivation :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I'd love to write a novel ... most of my friends have written stuff, i started, wrote a page and now i have forgotten what i was writing about, lol. but i got 5 months til uni begins again, i'm sure that i could make a decent attempt during that time.

Plebeian

Argonaut said:
the only way you'll get published is if you've got your foot in the door of the industry, unless you're willing to take big risks such as self-publishing.
True... Matthew Reilly got rejected and self-published his first book ... and now he's a bestseller.

Even though I like writing I could never write a novel because I'd have too much trouble sustaining a story or idea for that long.

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
my friend is writing a book @ the moment, thats what he plans to do next year
i think its a pretty cool idea
and even better if it gets published
a girl from my skool did a photography book (like 'the blue day book') for her major art project...and got it published, its awesome...

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I've started about twenty of them, some are quite coinsiderably long. Should be finished in twenty years or so.

Actually, I simply get a new idea and move on. The finished one (pretty damn long), I was maybe fifteen, it was novel length, but looking back it needs soooo much work.

As I was saying, I get distracted and stuff. But anyway, the only other "sotry" ever finished was my Extension 2major work. About 7990 words. No where near my longest.

As for what they're about that would take all my internet time for this month, since most of it's in my head and only the bare essentials wrote down.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hmm...i would love to write and publish a book. it just seems so cool, and such and achievement - well, if someone actually bought and liked my books, then it would be cool. though the problem is actually writing something. ironically though, i actualy do really crap at english at school. i blame it on having to write responses to texts (ie. essays) and being too lazy to do anything prperly - i'm too last minute. and probably just because i suck at english anyway.

its so hard to get inspired. and i've never actually bothered, but i would really love to write a successful novel. one can only daydream. meanwhile, i just read other people's short sotries that they post on the net, although some are really not that short. some are pretty stupid - in my opinion - while some are really well written, creative and just really interesting. seriously, they could just publish their work and i'm sure it would sell! i would totally buy it, even though i can read it for free on the net. worth keeping. a good site to try is http://www.fictionpress.com/ . i'm sure many of you would have already heard of it, but if you are writing something, and want to know waht others think, then give it a try

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
my bf is writing a novel... he wont tell me wat its about.. i jus know the twist at the end :)

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
hmm....i suppose you could do it jsut for fun, rather than as a career, and just see where it takes you. so if it fails, at least you have a backup thingy. if you can get it published, then hooray ! shout us champagne [no wait, am i underaged? ...16, i think so]

if you can't get it published, then try again and again. i think a good idea would be to let others read it [or part of it] and let them review your work, as in, comment on what you did well, or what they think you should improve on. you could, like i said before, publish it on websites. actually, a better idea would be to publish the first couple of chapters, get ppl to review you, then if these are postive, show the publisher and see if they change their minds. [EDIT: then when you do get it published, go back to the wensite that you published the first few chapters on, and tell the people that if they want to read the rest of the story to buy your book! ]

and even if you don't end up getting published, i would still be very proud that someone could even complete a full length novel ! especially at a young age. takes patience and persistance...gah....qualities i don't have

Last edited:

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
lengstar said:
i often have many ideas for novels but i couldn't be bothered writing one. maybe some day when i COULD be bothered.
yeah, same. i have some ideas floating in my head [but it's more for short stories than novels...i don't think i could ever be that commited to writing a really long novel], but then i'm never bothered. and also because i realise that most of them are too typically teenage and have already been overdone. guess i shouldn't embarrass myself... =D

DaRanjed

What are the steps to getting your story published? Do you mail it to someone to read?

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
i would very much like to write my own novel. i have about a 100 beginnings of stories with no middle or endings. i guess i just need toget 'round to them...

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Writing a novel in my spare time, at the current time, its about 11,000 words long at last word count so it's a bit more than just a start to it.

It's more a tool of procrastination, if I'm looking for something to do I'll write in it. There's no real plot, and no real direction, a few twists and generally its written for my own cheap entertainment.

I'm hoping when it's finished I can get it published... but I'm not writing it for it to be published and for me to be an author, it'd just be a nice bonus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)