Anything to know about Year 11 before I start? (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
yeah you?
I was in a different school for the majority of this year doing 5.1. Whilst that, had a tutor coaching me 5.3. She thought I was capable of doing MX1 so that's why I'm going for it.

Lesson to learn: 5.1 teaches you jack shit.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
I was in a different school for the majority of this year doing 5.1. Whilst that, had a tutor coaching me 5.3. She thought I was capable of doing MX1 so that's why I'm going for it.

wait so you moved schools this year? wait 5.1 is standard right? Wait so you had a tutor in school?

Cherrybomb56

HSC

Good job btw

Cherrybomb56

HSC
No, I usually ask my teachers if I need more clarification and I mostly self study with borrowed textbooks. Plus my ext classes are very small, it's almost like tutoring in a way haha.
wow that's awesome. Also just wondering in term 4 of year 11 you transit to year 12, so from then does everything start counting towards you hsc?

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
wait so you moved schools this year? wait 5.1 is standard right? Wait so you had a tutor in school?
Yeah I moved schools recently for Year 11. In terms of tutoring, I got a tutor outside of school. And 5.1 is intended for kids who are doing Math Standard yes.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Yeah I moved schools recently for Year 11. In terms of tutoring, I got a tutor outside of school. And 5.1 is intended for kids who are doing Math Standard yes.
That's pretty good. Just wondering was it because the school was near to you or personal interest? Wait so just wondering doesn't the school decide weather you do extension math?

vinlatte

HSC
wow that's pretty tough.
Term 4 flies pretty quickly, it doesn't really feel like a term. But I went to a 7-12 school and they kept switching between calling us yr 12 or yr 11, which didn't make it feel like we were really yr 12.

The marks I got for this term were okay, but I still have time to improve it next year. The holidays help with studying and revising all the content so far.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
That's pretty good. Just wondering what it because the school was near to you or personal interest? Wait so just wondering doesn't the school decide weather you do extension math?
So my previous school was non-mainstream, meaning that kids who go there usually go because of a lack of education or trauma from their previous school (which is why I went there). Because the school is non-mainstream and some kids have gaps in their learning, they try to make it easier on the kids by reducing work and marking easier - essentially setting kids up for failure imo. The problem with the school was that for subjects for Year 11 and 12, they made you do their selected pattern of study consisting of Standard English and Math, Food Tech, PDH, Modern History, and Society and Culture.

Because I want to do sciency things at uni, I can't go down that route, and because I have a passion for math as well, I'd rather do a more extensive course than Standard. That's basically why I moved schools.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Term 4 flies pretty quickly, it doesn't really feel like a term. But I went to a 7-12 school and they kept switching between calling us yr 12 or yr 11, which didn't make it feel like we were really yr 12.

The marks I got for this term were okay, but I still have time to improve it next year. The holidays help with studying and revising all the content so far.
wow really? That's nice. Oh ok so in term 4 how much exams/assignments did you have?

Cherrybomb56

HSC
So my previous school was non-mainstream, meaning that kids who go there usually go because of a lack of education or trauma from their previous school (which is why I went there). Because the school is non-mainstream and some kids have gaps in their learning, they try to make it easier on the kids by reducing work and marking easier - essentially setting kids up for failure imo. The problem with the school was that for subjects for Year 11 and 12, they made you do their selected pattern of study consisting of Standard English and Math, Food Tech, PDH, Modern History, and Society and Culture.

Because I want to do sciency things at uni, I can't go down that route, and because I have a passion for math as well, I'd rather do a more extensive course than Standard. That's basically why I moved schools.
wow okay. That's good tho I mean you should be able to choose whatever subjects you want to. Was it easy to adjust to your new school? I hope you do well in your new school.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
wow okay. That's good tho I mean you should be able to choose whatever subjects you want to. Was it easy to adjust to your new school? I hope you do well in your new school.
Thanks! Yeah, it's gr8. 1300 kids in the school, 215 in my year so I will have some competition next year ;-;

vinlatte

HSC
wow really? That's nice. Oh ok so in term 4 how much exams/assignments did you have?
Since I do MX2, I had 1 exam each for MX1 and MX2. For Math adv I don't do the assignments and I only attend the classes if I need to. MX2 assumes that a student would ace adv so there's no need for them to do the adv assignments.

Overall I had 2 assignments and 2 exams, which is more manageable than others since english didn't have an assignment this term and hospo only has in class tasks.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Thanks! Yeah, it's gr8. 1300 kids in the school, 215 in my year so I will have some competition next year ;-;
wow damn that's way more then mine. Cause I am also thinking of moving schools for next year. And a bit nervous

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
MX2 assumes that a student would ace adv so there's no need for them to do the adv assignments.
Ah you are lucky! My school forced us to do every Adv assessment except the trial.
It became the biggest meme in the 4u class to see who can screw up 2u the most. Our 2u exam answers were really something else haha.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Since I do MX2, I had 1 exam each for MX1 and MX2. For Math adv I don't do the assignments and I only attend the classes if I need to. MX2 assumes that a student would ace adv so there's no need for them to do the adv assignments.

Overall I had 2 assignments and 2 exams, which is more manageable than others since english didn't have an assignment this term and hospo only has in class tasks.
wow nice. Do you know how much those exams and assignments weighted? Also is it like the teacher teaches the content for math and once you finish the topic you have a test?

vinlatte

HSC
wow nice. Do you know how much those exams and assignments weighted? Also is it like the teacher teaches the content for math and once you finish the topic you have a test?
Around 20%, next term english would weigh a lot more at 40%. Our class was meant to finish the topic before the set exam, but it took my class a while to learn the content mainly due to absences. The teacher does adjust the exam to only the topics we learnt when its closer to the date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)