Appetite Problem (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yup done.

1) Kinematic imbalances due to suboccipital strain in newborns. Biedermann H. J. Manual Medicine 1992, 6:151-156.

More than 600 babies (to date) have been treated for suboccipital strain. One hundred thirty-five infants who were available for follow-up was reviewed in this case series report. The suboccipital strain’s main symptoms include torticollis, fever of unknown origin, loss of appetite and other symptoms of CNS disorders, swelling of one side of the facial soft tissues, asymmetric development of the skull, hips, crying when the mother tried to change the child’s position, and extreme sensitivity of the neck to palpation. Most patients in the series required one to three adjustments before returning to normal. “Removal of suboccipital strain is the fastest and most effective way to treat the symptoms...one session is sufficient in most cases. Manipulation of the occipito-cervical region leads to the disappearance of problems....”
Did this paper explain exactly why the 'manipulation' lead to the disappearance of problems (i.e. causation?) did they blind it against regular massage to account for placebo? Do we know how long the symptoms disappear for? How long do they 'return to normal' for? How long are these symptoms usually found to naturally persist?

This may very well be true but it does nothing towards establishing your idea that 'pinched nerves' lead to many things being affected. All it shows is that in some cases massage/muscle & bone manipulation can lead to a removal of symptoms.

Everything functions through messages from the brain (nerves) and when it's prevented from reachings its destination then it can affect many things.
Nerves do not give off a flow of nerve energy. Nerves are gland cells. They produce and release a hormone that causes the inhibition or the contraction of muscle cells and the inhibition or enhancement of secretion by a gland cell that includes another nerve cell. That is all they do, no more, no less. They do not actually conduct electricity or any other form of energy.

When a nerve cell undergoes its function of secreting a hormone, changes occur in its outer cell membrane that allow electrically-charged ions to move in and out of the cell in a step-wise fashion along the full extent of the nerve. This is what really occurs when a nerve is described as "conducting an impulse" or "firing." A spinal nerve at the intervertebral opening is actually a thin tube of connective tissue containing the extensions of millions of nerve cells. These extensions are the axons that are also described as "fibers." This latter term is misleading because it connotes a certain firmness such as fine wires would have. Nothing could be more incorrect. The axons are delicate, flimsy structures. Since they are merely elongated or drawn out parts of cells they need nourishment along with the cells that make up their sheaths. Therefore, delicate blood vessels are contained in what is called a nerve at the visible level. If compression of a nerve does not directly kill the axons, the axons may die because the compression cuts off the flow of blood in the vessels of the nerve. Compression of a nerve cell anywhere along its extent can cause it to secrete its hormone. If it is a sensory nerve cell, it can cause the brain to experience pain. If it is a motor nerve cell, the hormone can cause a muscle cell to contract.

If the motor nerve cells to a skeletal (voluntary) muscle die, the muscle will be paralyzed and also die. This is because the motor nerve cells continuously supply skeletal muscle cells with substances needed for their survival, above and beyond the hormone the nerve cells secrete to make the muscle contract. This is not the case with the motor nerve cells to glands, heart muscle, or smooth (involuntary) muscle. Complete severance of the motor nerves from the spinal nerves to the heart, glands (salivary, thyroid, liver, pancreas, etc.), and smooth muscle of the lungs, esophagus, stomach, gall bladder, intestines, etc., has only transient effects. The gland cells and smooth and cardiac muscle cells not only survive, but function normally. They surely do not become diseased.
Edmund S. Crelin, Ph.D., Professor of Anatomy at the Yale University School of Medicine

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
This question seems to be answered, but just to put my 5 cents worth in:

I go through appetite loss stages. Every couple of months, for a week or even more sometimes I won't be hungry. I'll eat your standard breakfast and dinner every day, just coz I have to. But I'll only eat small portions coz I'm just not hungry. I can't really link it to having issues, being upset etc. Maybe subconciously yes?

But then I go through periods where I'm ALWAYS hungry. When I say ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS.

Maybe it's something to do with our hormonal cycle? Though you did find out that u had a stomach bug, which could potentially be the only reason. But yes...it's a mystery to me too.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Yeah me too, there are times where I eat all day non-stop, and others where all I have is water. It's a cycle, and unless you feel sick, become malnourished, I wouldn't worry too much about it for now.

There doesn't seem much point in eating if your body is telling you it doesn't want food.

Just remember to keep your fluids up.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
iambored said:
i've also heard some chiros claim they can do a hell of a lot that they can't.
Yep, I've been to one of them. I actually just went to him a while after a car accident for treatment, but I'm also chronically ill and he claimed he could "cure" my illness if I just stuck to his treatment plan. haha total bullshit, dont trust anyone who says straight up they can definentely fix the problem.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
signs lik loss of appetite are not great signs.. but yes.. go see a doctor..... but then it depends on like other symptoms too.. could be other things

some chiros are very good.. and others will claim to fix the world..

snobby airlines said:
It was purely a suggestion and I don't see why it shouldn't work. Everything functions through messages from the brain (nerves) and when it's prevented from reachings its destination then it can affect many things.
because there is no solid underlying theory to support it.. or evidence that it can cure an appetite problems..
also no.. that is a flawed comment.. we do have a lil system called the endocrine system that runs in parallel to the nervous system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)