architecture vs. civil engineering (1 Viewer)

kartman

HSC
bah, civil is the pansy branch of engineering anyway

come do aerospace or mech or electrical if you are a real math geek :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Exactly. Why build bridges when you can build ILL TEMPERED FLYING BRIDGES WITH LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS!?!

daman

HSC
Pierotte said:
btw is ur username said Daman..like Matt Daman or Da-Man! like "I am Da Man!" just curious
i dunno, i think the latter, but yeh whichever you prefer.

ok this thread kinda went off topic but luckily i found another thread which answered my exact question. here it is if anyones interested, you need an overclockers.com.au forum account to view it:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=353193
(thread title: What civil engineers really do as distinguished from architects, urban planners, etc )

Pierotte

HSC
daman said:
i dunno, i think the latter, but yeh whichever you prefer.

ok this thread kinda went off topic but luckily i found another thread which answered my exact question. here it is if anyones interested, you need an overclockers.com.au forum account to view it:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=353193
(thread title: What civil engineers really do as distinguished from architects, urban planners, etc )

Site not found??

Dam!..an

daman

HSC
farrrk

one semester in civil and im still not sure if thats were i want (or ought) to be.

is it true that the drop out rate for architects is quite high?

and are civil engineers (or just engineers in general) seen as real nerdy people far removed from society, because this is the impression i get from all my lecturers. they're al weird and make lame ass jokes hahah

is it common for students to continually question their course, especially in first year? cause i do this alot

procastination got the better of me
cheers

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
daman said:
farrrk

one semester in civil and im still not sure if thats were i want (or ought) to be.

is it true that the drop out rate for architects is quite high?

and are civil engineers (or just engineers in general) seen as real nerdy people far removed from society, because this is the impression i get from all my lecturers. they're al weird and make lame ass jokes hahah

is it common for students to continually question their course, especially in first year? cause i do this alot

procastination got the better of me
cheers
Same, I'm most probably transferring (to a related degree at the same uni).

I don't know that "engineers" would be seen as anything (I mean, there's stereotypes about every type of student), maybe it's just the lecturers

Maybe the questioning is because you're not sure what the rest of the degree is going to be like. I know first semester hasn't given me much of an indication, eg. physics - lots of stuff we'll never use.

Last edited:

daman

HSC
and you're doing civil at the moment?

what do you plan on changing to?

lala2

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
Architects design the buildings to look pretty, civil engineers are there to say "no, fuck off, that won't work"
Yeah, my dad's a civil engineer and he says that architects just make the buildings look pretty, but engineers are the ones who actually make the building stand up, and stay up, in the first place.

elfm

HSC
civil engineers have a lot of responsibility on their hands. they not only have to (at times) manage and hire many other engineers (yes, i'll get to boss nerdy electrical engineers around) to complete a project, but they also have to ensure that everything works out the first time.

it's not a bad course so far, and i'm doing my 2nd year at unsw

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Have you looked into Urban&Regional Planning/Town Planning? It has design aspects but also functional ones. Being an architect for a whole city sounds better than one for just one building.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
don't architecturers need to know maths and engineering as well though?

I'm pretty sure architecture courses at uni cover the 'practicalities' of design.

daman

HSC
dammit! how the fuck are you supposed to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life (or the next few years) at the tender age of 18

im fucken torn between the two. and im pretty sure whichever i choose there will be regrets for the other.

i have considered urban planning. and i think the civil engineers take care of the maths and engineering.

i dont really appreciate arsty fags and i think if im surrounded by them ill blow. job prospects for civil engineers are high, but low for architects. but then again it always comes down your interest levels

this is fucken hard!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
daman said:
dammit! how the fuck are you supposed to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life (or the next few years) at the tender age of 18

im fucken torn between the two. and im pretty sure whichever i choose there will be regrets for the other.

i have considered urban planning. and i think the civil engineers take care of the maths and engineering.

i dont really appreciate arsty fags and i think if im surrounded by them ill blow. job prospects for civil engineers are high, but low for architects. but then again it always comes down your interest levels

this is fucken hard!
This could make it a little easier:

Look here.

And here.

Problem solved. And in fact, the two actually have less in common than some people would think.

daman

HSC
but money isnt everything.

you need to have an interest in the area or otherwise your lifes wasted - my opinions

daman

HSC
what uni would be better/ best for architecture: UTS, USYD, UNSW, UNCLE?

pottsy44

HSC
architecture is the doldrums of the construction industry, they are paid really poorly for the amount of work you have got to do. and you dont get to see the final picutre, you will have many architects working on one project just different aspects. and no matter what you design it will always be chop and changed in just about every facet. once the engineers, quantity surveyors and project managers get their hands on the plans they will tell the architects to move walls, facades.. in other words what the architects want accounts to little in the end.

i dont know what u like about architecture or any other occupation, but if your going to work in the construction industry you really have to like the aspects of the industry, because there is so much correspondence between architects, engineers, quantity surveyors, project managers and developers.

in saying that since you have changed your mind about courses my suggestion is to do construction management as it opens numerous career opportunities in the construction industry (project management, quantity surveying, building surveying and plenty more)

in saying this i am a quantity surveyor and work for a top tier quantity surveying firm (WT Partnership). we work internally with a few engineers and externally with all the others.

pottsy44

HSC
daman said:
what uni would be better/ best for architecture: UTS, USYD, UNSW, UNCLE?
uts is widely recognised a premium uni in the construction industry. in saying that from what people say unsw is good for engineering and architecture.

and usyd has no real status as it is to theoretical.

i know im going to get slammed for this but i goto uws and do construction management there, but i choose it bc it was closest as i live in western sydney and so far there is a good amount of practical work with theorectical. and at uws there is a greater encouragement and necessity to get exposure to the industry and work as they require you to do 1400 hours practical experience and i tink uts is 400 hours or around that, i just know that uts requires the most.

cyko

HSC
hey buddy,

i was in the same situation as u last year
stuck between civil or architecture.
in the end i chose architecture, because i still dwell on this belief that i can broaden myself past an architect into project management and such.
i think it'll be harder the other way around, but despite what everyone says about architect, that it's all artsy fartsy, is true.

doing this course, i consider myself a freak nowdays, and so do the many other people whom walk by watching me lying on the concrete takign a picture of a pin joint. architecture won't have as much emphasis as civil would on maths and physics, but i feel that architects are required to know not only design, but every other bit of construction that exists.

my conclusion: architecture = a lil bit of everything in the construction industry. it just depends on what kind of architect you want to be. the environmentalist type, the project type, the cultural type, etc. I for one am aiming for the project type, because it's a fact, architects barely get anythign for the amount of work they need to do.

hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)