Architecture!!! (1 Viewer)

What Uni Are You Going To?

• Total voters

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Pierotte said:
im so confused as to what uni i want to go to, if i want to do straight architecture or maybe something along the lines of town planning
town planners are in VERY high demand wherever you are... so if it's getting a job you are worried about then town planning would be the go... i've heard of people in 1st year of uni being offered a job, and it's common for people in 2nd/3rd year to be offered jobs before their degree is finished

CMJ

HSC
Yeah, planners are in high demand. I have completed 2 years of the planning degree at unsw and a fair number of people from my year are currently employed by councils or private companies (plus we do a mandatory 48 weeks of paid work experience as well).

Pierotte

HSC
Well I went to the open days today

ALL 3 OF THEM!

looking for answers.

And oddly enough I think I found some!

I’m sticking with straight architecture.
I mean that’s where my real passion lies. It’s a profession I can get excited about! Town planning just doesn’t do it for me.

And well honestly ill be happy at any uni that’ll have me. They were all fab.
But despite what everyone keeps telling me about the over-rated status of Usyd I still want to go there.

UNSW - interesting... its huge. On the outside it seems great. But does anyone else think they’re just TOO big? That they’ve lost the plot just a little? I dunno. Some of their stuff looks awesome. But they really seem a bit all over the shop.

ha well see come final round offers, hopefully ill have an offer from all 3 unis.. and then ill decide.

I’m off to do some more research.

Anyway just to share what I picked up today:

Usyd = best recourses by far! My god their faculty is huge and so well equipped! I was impressed.
The classes occur more often in the work shops than the other unis. About 50-50 where as the UTS guy said they were only 30% prac 70% theory.
Usyd also have a lot more history. I quite enjoy background, so I’m cool with that. But if u just want to get to the point, straight into the fundamentals with no airy romantic historical stuff then this is not the place to go.
If your planning on going overseas they are more internationally recognized than the other two.
They gave free apples and water

UTS = the most professional. Their time tabling is by far the most convenient. They don’t force their students to do any work experience at all.
The university also has a renowned strength in design. Oh and apparently their online teaching recourses are over rated. But they are indeed for flexible than Usyd.
No fuss. No bells and whistles. Just architecture in its rawest form.
They gave free coffee and sausages

UNSW - I like the fact they do compulsory work experience for 6 months. I like the group work they do, mixing with other specialties in the faculty to create impressive projects. And I like the breadth of their electives. They seem to do A LOT more group work than the other two unis. Oh I like how your assessed by jurors. I like doing speeches and showing off my work. That seems tres cool. Do they do that at the other unis?
And their students had the most impressive range of awards. And apparently their grads are sought after in the Sydney area (yet they showed no statistics to prove this) But I’m not sure.. Something just doesn’t sit right.
They gave so many damn information booklets.. but nothing edible.

So yeah that’s just what I came away with today. Correct me if I’m wrong. I just feel for once that I have some kind of understanding as to what each uni is about. A small insight into their major differences.

So yeah. What did u guys think? What did u take away today? Maybe you had a completely different experience to me.

(wow... big post)

Pierotte

HSC
Ok so architecture kiddies

what uni did u put as ur first pref in the end?

I put Usyd

but im still not 100% sure on it.

Im going to wait till final round offers till i decide.

(UNSW second, UTS third)

lolmg

HSC
Hey wow I know exactly how you are feeling. I want to go to usyd but I'm still not very sure about it at all.
I ended up putting usyd as first, unsw second, and uts third too haha.

Calla

HSC
this may sound a bit amateurish but at what point do ppl doing architecture courses advance from designing small complexes such as houses etc to large ones for example buildings etc ?

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
huzzah, im gunna go wherever i get in ... im kinda beyond caring now, although my god... usyd is sexy, but ill still be happy anywhere (although at this point im not sure if ill get in anywhere).

im not sure what you mean calla? ... from what ive heard, most architects DONT design houses and stuff, since alot of them (what was the stat, like 98% or something?) are built by the gay 'builder' folk without the help of an architect.

Calla

HSC
Purp|e said:
huzzah, im gunna go wherever i get in ... im kinda beyond caring now, although my god... usyd is sexy, but ill still be happy anywhere (although at this point im not sure if ill get in anywhere).

im not sure what you mean calla? ... from what ive heard, most architects DONT design houses and stuff, since alot of them (what was the stat, like 98% or something?) are built by the gay 'builder' folk without the help of an architect.
no, im talking about potential architects doing their degrees in architecture........surely they start on small projects like small complexes (not so strictly houses) and then advance to high rise buildings.............BTW what percentage design skyscrapers etc

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
oh wells, only less than 24 hours before it all goes down! :)

post in here when you know what you got into ... hopefully there will be a suprisingly large number of 06 archimatects on bos ;)

cyko

HSC
BOS ARCHI CLUB .. ahaha :) Hopefully, we'll get a number of people in all the universities, and then we can share resources, and have sleep overs and talk about buildings :) w00t

Pierotte

HSC
cyko said:
BOS ARCHI CLUB .. ahaha :) Hopefully, we'll get a number of people in all the universities, and then we can share resources, and have sleep overs and talk about buildings :) w00t
No! We will have super fun sleepovers IN assorted buildings.

Then when were famous and successfull and weve designed our own building the BOS Archi club can go into the new buildings and christen each individual room in increasingly creative, satisfyingly erotic, frightfully kinky kinky, super fun and highly sexual ways.

I so hope someone designes and 80 floor sky scaper!!!

Wow, all those rooms, so many possibilities!

mikki16

HSC
Pierotte said:
No! We will have super fun sleepovers IN assorted buildings.

Then when were famous and successfull and weve designed our own building the BOS Archi club can go into the new buildings and christen each individual room in increasingly creative, satisfyingly erotic, frightfully kinky kinky, super fun and highly sexual ways.

I so hope someone designes and 80 floor sky scaper!!!

Wow, all those rooms, so many possibilities!
pierotte? WHAT THE HELL?? look.. im all for a cutey lil archi club where we go an have cutey putey sleepovers... even those sleep overs where you tear off all your outer garnments and run around with bleached white overstuffed pillows that magically explode in puffs of feathers on contact with bare human flesh (those are fun.. we even have some footage from schoolies..) but "highly sexual ways" ????!!! i understand we are the scum of the earth being arty and all that but PIEROTTE! *slap* thats highly inapropriate, for a lady :p

am i going to be assosiated and dare i say... CATEGORISED into something that you are? dear god, is it too late to change my preferences?

1. usyd.
2. unsw
3. uts
4. cofa...
lol! just like the rest of you. i have a feeling the uai cut off is going to rise this year v___v

good luck for tomorrow... HEY! why am i saying that?! you people are like my rivals! how i go against you will determine whether im able to afford a mortgage... or sercum to the inevitable: lliving under epping rail bridge and picking out of bins for food scraps.

*becomes suddenly wary* .... good... nvmind. :D post up your admissions! i wont know till late tonight! im partying the night away

Pierotte

HSC
mikki16 said:
pierotte? WHAT THE HELL?? look.. im all for a cutey lil archi club where we go an have cutey putey sleepovers... even those sleep overs where you tear off all your outer garnments and run around with bleached white overstuffed pillows that magically explode in puffs of feathers on contact with bare human flesh (those are fun.. we even have some footage from schoolies..) but "highly sexual ways" ????!!! i understand we are the scum of the earth being arty and all that but PIEROTTE! *slap* thats highly inapropriate, for a lady :p

am i going to be assosiated and dare i say... CATEGORISED into something that you are? dear god, is it too late to change my preferences?

1. usyd.
2. unsw
3. uts
4. cofa...
lol! just like the rest of you. i have a feeling the uai cut off is going to rise this year v___v

good luck for tomorrow... HEY! why am i saying that?! you people are like my rivals! how i go against you will determine whether im able to afford a mortgage... or sercum to the inevitable: lliving under epping rail bridge and picking out of bins for food scraps.

*becomes suddenly wary* .... good... nvmind. :D post up your admissions! i wont know till late tonight! im partying the night away
Mikki you know youll love it! :D! Who wouldnt!?

Damn whats with all u people having the same prefs as me!

Piss off! No Archi club for any of you if i dont get in,

Ill make it my duty to go around starting fires everytime you guys try to have a meeting!

Then ill dance around outside in a devil costume, laughing, LAUGHING! As you and your pretty buildings burn to the ground.

Oh right, theres still a slight chance i may get in.... Calm calm calm blue ocean filled with calm calm calm blue fish.

Oh and Danger, you couldnt afford me! Im WAAAY out of your league! You can live in an impractical builder designed fibro box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)