are any of you 'overloading' uni? (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so overloading is pretty much where you do more than 4 subjects a semester if you're doing it full-time.

so are any of you doing it?

if so, why?

is it particularly hard?

i'm interested in people doing law/commerce especially (or just law)

I Study Hard

HSC
Didn't the guy at academic advising say that you need his permission to do more then the 4 units per semester and that he wasn't going to give permission just because you felt like accelerating, he would only consider if it was going to cause you hardship not to accelerate.
Or..something like that..?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I did it at UOW. It wasn't too difficult to management. I was already doing a 28 hour contact week, so an extra 3 hours was nothing.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
About that. Might have been 26 originally. With the extra subject it worked out around 30.

dude01

HSC
28 hours??

crikey!
I'd be more worried about exam and assignment deadlines then contact hours. Five subjects (usually) equals five final exams. This would be a nightmare to study/cram for during exam time, especially if they are all put together i.e. one or two exams each day without many days break in between.

I'm in final year bus/law, never overloaded, but did summer school instead to lighten the load. I wouldn't bother overloading unless it was absolutely necessary i.e. it's your final semester and you have five subjects to go and don't want to stay back a semester just for one subject.

How about you get through first semester before worrying about overloading;)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
not at uws or in ur field, but still
i've done it twice, it's not too bad... basically if ur good at uni normally then u'll be fine

its better if ur doing subjects with different arrangements, so e.g. u don't have 5 exams as stated above, or e.g. one course has lots of contact hours/interactions, another u can basically learn at home, etc.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm doing a double degree; Creative Arts/Commerce. I did the extra unit in Commerce. Creatives Arts has essays and practicals for the majority of its marking. So it was only one extra exam. Having all your essays due at one time though isn't great, but it's manageable. I got D's or higher for most of them.

dude01

HSC
All of the business subjects I've done have had 3 hr final exams and weigh at least 40%. All of the core law subs have 3 hr final exams, weighing 40-65%. Too hard to study for if you get a crap exam timetable with 5 subs imo. But if you did another degree like communications or arts it might be doable because they don't have as many final exams.

Sam990

HSC
Didn't the guy at academic advising say that you need his permission to do more then the 4 units per semester and that he wasn't going to give permission just because you felt like accelerating, he would only consider if it was going to cause you hardship not to accelerate.
Or..something like that..?
sorry to intrude, but can you correct me if the academic advising you attended was a one-on-one with the course adviser?

beefnoodle

HSC
You must be disciplined if you want to work full time and study full time. Bludge 1 week and you will be lost.

I Study Hard

HSC
sorry to intrude, but can you correct me if the academic advising you attended was a one-on-one with the course adviser?
No, it was basically a guy in one of those lecture rooms.

@person who mentioned summer school: can you actually do units during the summer break that will count towards your degree?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
You must be disciplined if you want to work full time and study full time. Bludge 1 week and you will be lost.
even the hardest working students lose focus at some point... usually around week 4 or 5 one has a 'cbf' week, lol

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
so overloading is pretty much where you do more than 4 subjects a semester if you're doing it full-time.

so are any of you doing it?

if so, why?

is it particularly hard?

i'm interested in people doing law/commerce especially (or just law)
It would become most difficult during assessment/exam time. I know people who have done it but its been difficult and their marks were a tad lower than normal. I wouldn't even consider it until you've completed a full year. Law readings are already quite onerous and uni takes a bit of time to adjust to.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'd only really reccommend it for doubles. Single degrees are usually planned out. Doubles depend more on the subjects you choose, which faculty you're in, and the type of marking they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)