Are laptops a NEED in uni??? (1 Viewer)

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
DO u need a laptop in uni?? or is it more convient to have oine???

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
why would you need one? youll just be the subject of ridicule lol
i find it funny when i see somone have a laptop looking at the lecture notes online while i have a print out and can add notes.

sunny

meh.
HSC
No, not a need. But can be very useful depending on what you do.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It depends on your working habits really... if you like doing work on the fly, if you have long travel times, if you don't like printing lecture notes.. then it may be useful.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Or very very useful when you can spend time doing that assignment due in two days during your break.

TheKey

HSC
usefull if u leave home at 7am and come back at 8:30 pm on most days

sunny

meh.
HSC
I'm finding it very useful now. I'm at uni, and I have 3 assignments due next week, and being o-week I'll be busy involved in some of the events.

So right now I just finished a 2 hour lecture, and I'm in CSE using CSE wireless on my laptop to research for my 3 assignments before my tute in another 2 hours.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
What about for the CSE folks.. will it be useful?
Not that useful, you can use the labs quite easily ...

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
What do you use your laptops mostly for? research? typing? creating assignments? running programs? (browsing?)

I was underthe impression that some uni students use laptops to type down what lecturers say, but lecture notes popped up to my brain :D.

by the way, i was also wondering if anybody still uses and brings Pentium-2, or even P1 type laptops to uni :D (they're archaic aren't they?)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
if ur a geek and feel the need to have a computer around u all the time; go ahead and get a laptop

i don't think they are really useful; unless u wanna be posting on BOS during ur lectures thru the wireless internet

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
haha.. wont laptop help u take down notes quicker.... especially if the lecturer talks fast???
organise notes beta?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
Originally posted by Hoyin
haha.. wont laptop help u take down notes quicker.... especially if the lecturer talks fast???
organise notes beta?
They give you lecture notes right? And a UNSW staff told me that "notes" are everything there is to a lecture hehehe

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Awww, my parents were offering to buy me a laptop...guess I'll see how I handle the first few wks of uni.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Certainly not. Computer skills (and a computer) are definitely essentials. However, unless your situations fits any of the above conditions (major breaks, lots of wasted travel time eg train or working on the run) there is really no need to spend that extra thousand bucks on a computer that moves.

I have a laptop, but I also have a ridiculously spaced out schedule, and I am also planning on leaving home during the lifetime of this computer. Desktops and Residential Colleges don't really mix (but people still do it). :)

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
er... i tend to multitask because i type pretty fast, so i actually DO browse forums between taking down lecture notes (if the lecture is boring)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Yeah, if you're leaving home I'd go for a laptop. They're easier to lug around and probably better in an away-from-home environment.

Simple

No way all they ever become is a distraction. I have yet to see someone show them in good worth. It is simply not worth it on any level

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by Simple
No way all they ever become is a distraction. I have yet to see someone show them in good worth. It is simply not worth it on any level
You need to meet some more people then. There are many, like Anti, who can use their laptops to efficiently take down their lecture notes (and still have time to spare for BoS). On top of that, using it during breaks can be a lifesaver when the labs are full, this is most notable around major deadlines.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)