• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are laptops a NEED in uni??? (1 Viewer)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah; it all depends

but i live so close to uni:D and i'm not gonna spend me breaks on the internet:p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
You need to meet some more people then. There are many, like Anti, who can use their laptops to efficiently take down their lecture notes (and still have time to spare for BoS). On top of that, using it during breaks can be a lifesaver when the labs are full, this is most notable around major deadlines.

Efficiently? hehehe. I have a terribly short attention span. :) If it's an interesting lecture I like actually paying attention as well as just writing down the notes though.

For me it's a double blessing because I can just come home and print them - my handwriting is ATROCIOUS so I like having everything typed. :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Simple
No way all they ever become is a distraction. I have yet to see someone show them in good worth. It is simply not worth it on any level
I do the majority of my programming assignments at uni on my laptop when I have breaks. Efficiency++

santaslayer

HSC
the way u avoid making ur laptop a distraction is to put a crap wallpaper on and a crap screensaver. also dont install any games or music or anything slightly interesting on it. that way, u'll be able to use it efficently! ( only distraction left is the internet and BoS......lol)

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
ill see how i go on the 1st few weeks. because i type faster than i write, most ppl do i think. plus i cant read my own writing :( i dont have that many breaks so i will just use it to take down notes. still juggling the cost/ efficiency ratio.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Using a laptop is not just about writing notes, contrary to what most people think. What about assignments? You will get plenty of programming assignments in binf

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Even if I bought a laptop for assignments on the run home, I'd never get it done anyway. Peak hour train traffic is insane! I'd never get a seat...likewise with buses. Well, I'll see with uni lab availabilty.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Originally posted by BigngryWoman
Even if I bought a laptop for assignments on the run home, I'd never get it done anyway. Peak hour train traffic is insane! I'd never get a seat...likewise with buses. Well, I'll see with uni lab availabilty.
Should consider if you have multiple breaks or a giant break during the day then. You could always fire up the laptop to continue work on an assignment.

smittenkitten

Poopinator
I only have a giant 4 hr break on Fridays. Sem2 timetable is completely nasty though. 2 hr breaks dotted everywhere.

Matthew_152

I think the cost of a laptop makes the extra little bit of efficiency negligible....i would only get a laptop is i was super rich...

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Originally posted by BigngryWoman

I guess it depends what time you finish. There were days when I'd finish at 12 or 1 and there's no traffic then... that sort of thing.

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Originally posted by Matthew_152
I think the cost of a laptop makes the extra little bit of efficiency negligible....i would only get a laptop is i was super rich...
Helps if you or your family already have one or can borrow one. The older ones aren't exactly expensive either so I don't know about being super rich.

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Originally posted by Matthew_152
Laptops aren't that expensive if you just buy some common one with crappy specs. It's not like you need 50gillion gigs of hdd space, a p4 and a widescreen or anything. You should be able to find a reasonable one for around 2000. Plus if you purchase an apple laptop you get a student discount:D

Those apple laptops (ibookg4 in particular) are looking extremely delicious...

Matthew_152

I dont have a spare $2000 just floating around lol....so while u guys r all on ur laptops...i'll just stick to the traditional pen and paper.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Or very very useful when you can spend time doing that assignment due in two days during your break.
Originally posted by santaslayer
useful if u have huge breaks in between lecz/tutes
yeah- or to play games on them. ;) :D

anyways, i don't think laptops are that important, if u don't live on campus (and if u've got a comp. at home) bcoz, if u want to do assignments- u can use the computer labs (a usb key drive can come in handy here)! and oh yeah, another reason that u might wanna laptop is to take notes during lectures- but then, again is it worth paying thousands of dollars for this privelage?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There are several disadvantages about labs:

- they're not always conveniently located
- you might need to book them only for a limited time, especially around assessments
- its hard to discuss your work in labs
- you can't eat/drink in labs
- the computer isn't set up the way you like it to be

smittenkitten

Poopinator
Hey sunny, do you know who I have to pay to access wireless? I need to book a time for disconnect to install the password software...am I paying them to put credit into my account?

sunny

meh.
HSC
You have to go to disconnect to get a appointment to get the VPN software installed. You also see them to pay funds. You get the UDUS form for funds. The minimum amount per UDUS top up is $10.

Check here to see how much funds you have. You can also top up your account online at the disconnect website.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
(a usb key drive can come in handy here
what the hell is that? ive been hearing a bit about usb key drive thingies around here lately...what are they? how do i use them? what do they cost?

sunny

meh.
HSC
USB key drives (USB memory sticks, thumb drives...etc) are little flash memory devices that you can plug into USB ports of computers. They range from 16MB to 256MB+ for decently priced ones. You can get a 128MB for around $100. Much smaller than a floppy, more reliable, faster and bigger capacity.

Simply plug it in, a new drive pops up in your 'my computer' ready for use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)