Are my subjects good for year 12? (1 Viewer)

lonelystudent571

HSC
Hello,
I am in year 11 and after school I want to work in the tech/computers/IT area, but I've been worried about how my subjects will affect how I study in year 12.
The subjects I've chosen are Maths Extension 1, Eng Adv, Biology, Modern history, Economics and Studies of Religion I.
Is this a good balance for studying in year 12 (do I have too many humanities/essays, memorisation, etc)? I'm worried that having too many humanities/not enough science won't do me well for tech/computer degrees after school.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of your study aspirations beyond the HSC, your subject selection seems appropriate. If you consider computer science degrees, you will find that they treat either Mathematics Advanced or Mathematics Extension 1 as assumed knowledge (depending on the university). You are currently taking Mathematics Extension 1, which satisfies the assumed knowledge element, especially if your performance is favourable. Of course, while assumed knowledge is merely a recommendation (rather than a requirement) to have studied a particular subject if you wish to study a particular university degree, it is important to take the recommended subject to ensure a smooth start to your university studies. You seem to have no issues in that regard, which is the most important part.

Regarding the workload created by your other subjects, you should consider your experience of taking those subjects so far. If you have been able to perform well in each of those subjects, then this reflects an effective study strategy, and it is likely that this will continue going forward, i.e. as you start and progress through year 12. You should also consider your need for backup units. If you feel more comfortable keeping 12 units in year 12, then you can do so. However, if you believe the workload is overwhelming and/or there is a subject that you are not performing well in, you can also drop up to 2 units worth of subjects.

I hope this helps! 😀

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)