Are schools allowed to do this? (1 Viewer)

yolo123

HSC
N/A
Yo guys,

So my friend's school has given out a major assessment task (worth 30%) for physics and the thing is, they haven't even finished topic one for the subject. This task requires them to do their own research on all of the topics for the course then complete an exam on it... Are teachers allowed to do this?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Yes, they can do whatever they want since its an internal assessment.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Well im not sure about it for year 12, and about it being a major assesment task, but I had a similar thing for prelim physics. The whole assesment was worth 20%, with the written report being 10% and the exam being 10%. Both 30 marks.

The written assesment had us go through a lot of content and dot points by ourselves, most of it NOT being taught again at school. A small bit of it was, which were several formulas and big concepts such as momentum and engergy. The stuff about car safety was not retaught. And the test was mostly about car safety._.

Im not sure if its allowed or not, but it happens. Im not sure what the rules are, really. Maybe teachers are required to asses each students abilities on the points, and simply provide x amount of teaching hours in class? someone else correct me here plz

klee98

HSC
Pretty sure they can, but should they?
We've had the same ordeal with chemistry, haven't touch nuclear yet we did the assessment task on it.
It's not that hard, just read a couple of books google here and there, and you're on your way.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes. Self learning can be a highly effective method plus it helps you for later in life.

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
of course, my school doesn't have half yearly's...until yr 11 and 12

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Yo guys,

So my friend's school has given out a major assessment task (worth 30%) for physics and the thing is, they haven't even finished topic one for the subject. This task requires them to do their own research on all of the topics for the course then complete an exam on it... Are teachers allowed to do this?
what school?
mine might have done something similar. I find it is really helpful to treat writing notes as if an assignment. It means you put the effort into it. As a result, my notes on sulfuric acid in Chemistry are great.

nomieee

HSC
Yep... I currently have two independent research tasks worth 25% for Ancient and Modern personalities (Ramesses II and Trotsky) and had the same for last year (Tutankhamun and JFK)

Beck97

HSC
My teacher did do that for CAFS with groups in context, we studies 3 groups and then we had to do another group by ourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)