Are textbooks a necessity? (1 Viewer)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
for most subjects, i assume most people will make their own notes using class resources,textbooks, notes,tutoring and whatnot. lets say for example a subject like physics, i currently use a textbook and 3 sets of notes to compare and cross check to make my own notes. what i've noticed is that some notes provide a better definition/explanation than textbooks themselves. sadly i dont have 2 monitors to open up like 5 windows of physics resources so i would like to replace my textbook pdf with another set of notes however the idea of solely relying on notes does sound stupid to me :/

any thoughts on this?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Notes and past papers are your best friebd

bui123

HSC
Past papers are your best friends, they provide you with the best exposure + preparation for the HSC. Notes and textbooks to me were a source of clarification on anything I was not understanding clearly or getting wrong when doing the past papers.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Have a number of different sources - i.e. a couple of different (good quality) textbooks, your own notes and some other people's notes. Build on them over time and when you're confident, do practice papers and develop notes targeted towards answering HSC type questions.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
I never used textbooks except for 4-unit. Heck, I didn't even read some of my english texts.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Have a number of different sources - i.e. a couple of different (good quality) textbooks, your own notes and some other people's notes. Build on them over time and when you're confident, do practice papers and develop notes targeted towards answering HSC type questions.
i see, but my question is, do you think replacing a textbook with another set of notes is a good idea?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
i see, but my question is, do you think replacing a textbook with another set of notes is a good idea?
Tbh it's up to you and how you learn. I can't say if it's good or bad because each individual had a different method of learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Textbooks, past-papers and notes are all necessary. Make your own notes though.

However I found that while doing past-papers and reading over BOS answers in the 2 months before HSC, meant that my notes were useless for Physics, Chemistry and the exercises I did for Maths.

For Eco, I never did notes, which is why I'll probably get a band 4, or a low band 5.
The process of making notes is important, as you learn easier IMO.

HSC
Notes and past papers are a lot more important but textbooks are too! I know sometimes in heavy content subjects, textbooks help break down the details into categories and makes summarising and memorising a lot easier.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Notes and past papers are a lot more important but textbooks are too! I know sometimes in heavy content subjects, textbooks help break down the details into categories and makes summarising and memorising a lot easier.
Some go over the top... Especially with chemistry and physics.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Business Studies in Action - endless discourse contaminated with irrelevancy upon irrelevancy
thats a trash textbook LOL. if only i had like another textbook like the cambridge one. awkward moment when most notes i have base their information from that textbook

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)