Are The Teachers Realistic In Regards to Hours Per Night? (1 Viewer)

Pete1555

HSC
Hey all!!

I'm just curious in knowing if the teachers are serious in regards to hours per night spent on studying in Year 12. My school is continuously stating that the average student should be spending ATLEAST 4 hours a night on study every weekday, and ATLEAST 8 hours a day on a weekend. So in total, 36 hours in a week is spent on study. I, however, do understand that 4 hours a night can be quite easily done when managing time well and breaking it up into small intervals, however, I'm yet to do 8 hours on a weekend day. On weekend. I just find 8 hours a ridiculous amount of time for study, as there are major distractions throughout the day, and this would require staying home for the whole day. So my question is.... Are the teachers serious in regards to 8 hour study on weekends? if so, how should I approach this?

FYI: This isn't a rant, I'm just seeking advice and curious ;P

bladeys

HSC
N/A
i think the 8 hours a day assumes that you have no extra curricular activities planned such as sport/going out.

SunnyScience

HSC
8 full hours on Saturday, maybe like 2-4 on Sunday....You have to live.
Some weekends you may want to stay home all weekend and complete those 20000 assessments due the following week. Other weekends, you may only do 3 hours at night.

"Don't study in terms of hours, study in terms of goals."

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the individual.

Many users on this forum undermine natural ability and determine that hard work overrides natural ability.

I can tell you this is false and whilst one must do some form of work in the HSC, possessing natural ability to retain and synthesize information quicker than the 'average' student is an advantage.

It also depends on your goals. If someone wants to do a B Teaching and another wants to do Med, obviously with Med being the more ambitious goal and requiring a significantly higher ATAR; they will accordingly place a stronger emphasis on studying in their lives. I'm not undermining the teaching profession, but merely just providing an example where the ATAR is around 80's for teaching and Med at UNSW and USYD you will need 98 - 99 to have a chance compounded by the requisite of a high umat.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
8 full hours on Saturday, maybe like 2-4 on Sunday....You have to live.
Some weekends you may want to stay home all weekend and complete those 20000 assessments due the following week. Other weekends, you may only do 3 hours at night.

"Don't study in terms of hours, study in terms of goals."
^

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt pay to much attention to stuff like "you need to be doing X amount of hours study per night for the HSC". First of all, everyone has different aims and abilities, which can drastically alter the amount amount of effort and work they need to put in. Secondly, I believe study is far more effective and efficient when it is goal oriented, as opposed to being time oriented.

inJust

HSC
Bro just chuck a me and study 1 hour a night and sometimes on top of homework. Worked pretty well imo considering 90% of kids didn't even do homework (I am guilty most of the time i.e. copying modern homework off picrick all day everyday)

shinebright

HSC
8 hours on a weekend is a LOT. I think average students do 5 ish? COnsidering there are more extra curricular activities

nosvies

HSC
4 hours a night...ooft.

The following is my timetable:
An hour of work at night, tops, the night is my rest period: I shower; I eat dinner; read a bit; sleep early (as in 8pm latest).
I get up at 4 in the morning (solid 8 hours of sleep if in bed before 8), refreshed, relaxed, just eaten breakfast, no noise from the family, absolute silence, and I work until 7 when I have to leave the house. I only do around 2.5 hours (brushing teeth, breakfast, getting changed etc. takes up the 0.5 of the hour) of study, but I divide it up into 25 minute intervals and I study strategically. I review and write notes for what we did the day before to ingrain it into my brain - it'll be easier to retain.
On the weekend, I don't study on Saturdays because I honestly just cannot focus - Sundays I dedicate to work (round 10am-5pm).

With this routine, in my half yearly assessments I received:
Adv English: 18/20 (equal 2nd)
Ancient History exam: 46/50 (2nd)
French Continuers oral: haven't received result yet
French Extension exam: 22/25 (1st)
Mathematics: 31/32 (equal 2nd)
Mathematics Ext: 21/30 (not sure of rank + note: maths is not my strong suit)
Studies of Religion: no assessment (compulsory blah)

Most people think I am mental for getting up that early in the morning but it's no different from sleeping at 12am and getting up 7am - in fact it's better because I'm getting more sleep and feel less stressed. It's just a suggestion, but in brief: no, 4 hours/weekday + 8 hours/Sat+Sun is not necessary to succeed. In fact I think it would drive you insane (it would do me).

Jess

PS Sending this at 10 at night because it's the long weekend and no school tomorrow (huzzah!) Happy Easter everyone (not a Christian but the Christians have given me a 5 day holiday so I'm not complaining)!

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
That sounds like a good plan Jess and if it us working for you, then stick with it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
8 hours on a weekend is a LOT. I think average students do 5 ish? COnsidering there are more extra curricular activities
That's the biggest joke ever.

Honestly, 1-2 hours per day on average is fine and probably more than you need - once you know the content, it won't help you to study more in HSC, from there, it's all about exam technique and things like that.

I got 96.50 ATAR doing fuck all - all I did was assignments, make some notes, a couple of papers before exams and pay attention in class.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but lad you accelerated mx1 so like you had less shit to do, only four subs you know

enoilgam

HSC
That's the biggest joke ever.

Honestly, 1-2 hours per day on average is fine and probably more than you need - once you know the content, it won't help you to study more in HSC, from there, it's all about exam technique and things like that.

I got 96.50 ATAR doing fuck all - all I did was assignments, make some notes, a couple of papers before exams and pay attention in class.
That isnt really nothing though - that is probably more than most students would do.

enoilgam

HSC
Still nowhere near what the teachers say.
True, but the teachers expectations are ridiculous unless you want to achieve a really high ATAR. Even then, saying you have to study X amount of hours per night is meaningless in my view, because it doesnt take into account individual differences (I think we are arguing the same thing).

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn't really make a difference - add 20% to whatever I said, still not a lot.
but its maths and lets face it math study is the thing most people spend their time on so lets say 30%

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends to be honest.

It doesn't really matter how many hours of study you did, what it comes down to you in the end is having the knowledge in your head, not on the notes. Just you and the test paper and applying this knowledge in the formulaic and required way.

I had a pretty interesting study pattern in year 12. There were times when I did 0 hours (repping overseas), times when I did a lot and times in between. Some days you are more switched on and productive, some days you are mush and would benefit from an extra hour of sleep. All that was most important is that I knew in myself how much effort I had to put in personally to clear my required ATAR goal for my course.

Keep a balanced life-pay attention in class, maximise the time you have at school and study productively and not clockwork rigid but spread out a bit during the year-and you should be good.

Michelle Lin

HSC
Our school organised some guys from 'Elevate Education' come in and tell us how to study more effectively and they said the same thing. 4 hours on school nights and 8 on weekends. At an open night sorta gig at Matrix tutoring they said that for extraordinary results then you need to but in extraordinary amount of study time and their top students wake up 2 hours before school to study and study up to 12 at night every day.

That's crazy.
I have at least 6 free periods every week where I'll do my homework/study so I only do 8 hours (at most) every week unless exams are coming up then it's like half my day is dedicated to that. I don't need a high atar and my school's ranked decently so I think it's sufficient for my goals. If you want to do med or law, etc then you should probably get cracking.

Actually, in reality I probably do half of that since I'll be reading fanfiction or talking for part of those periods.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)