Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days? (1 Viewer)

Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days?

• Yes- Too many Internationals

Votes: 85 82.5%
  • No- Not enough Internationals

Votes: 18 17.5%

• Total voters

zab02

HSC
I think there is far too many, this rapid intake of cashed up internationals has lead to falling standards and falling reputations by our uni's. Would rather give Uni places to Australia Citizens, the ones that pay there taxes, that actually contribute to society, that in the end pay for the education system. Too many internationals have killed the whole Uni "experience". Im disapointed with the greedy capitalists who run the Uni's, what happend to Education being a public good not a business?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
What, we can only vote "too many" or "not enough"? What about those of us who think it's fine as is or don't care?

Who the hell deals in absolutes like that?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
There should only be one option... too many.

I have done subjects where 90% of the people in them are international students... basically none of them can speak English properly and a lot are incapable of writing proper English sentences.

I am doing one subject like that this session, and it seems that they may be marking everyone easier because of this. I don't mind so much that international students are passing because I am stilling on a fairly comfortable 90% going into the final exam.... but I still find it hard to believe they are holding them to the same standard as me, and in every other subject I have done it is blatantly obvious they get special treatment.

I mentioned in another thread somewhere that you have two people (one Australian, one International) given the same degree but they are clearly not worth the same. Sitting through 25 seminars from people you can't understand is not only boring but I miss out on information I should probably know.

There is no excuse for such poor acceptance standards, the only reason is greed. The uni's want cash and that's how they get it.

It's easy to say 'well you try going to China and see how you go', but that's not the point because I wouldn't go to China and expect to be given special treatment because I don't know the language.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
zab02 said:
Australia Citizens, the ones that pay there taxes, that actually contribute to society, that in the end pay for the education system
International students pay for their degree upfront. They're paying for the education system as much as we are.

I agree with ObjectsInSpace that it's a stupid poll, by the way.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Triangulum said:
International students pay for their degree upfront. They're paying for the education system as much as we are.

I agree with ObjectsInSpace that it's a stupid poll, by the way.
They are paying for the education system but they are not contributing to society after their degree. Some are, because some stay, but plenty just leave and contribute nothing to to the economy after they leave. Australian students pay taxes all their lives and their knowledge and spending contributes to the economy.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, unless you want to fork out the same amount of money, or something happens with government legislation abolishing full fee/fees, that's the sad reality of the University system.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AsyLum said:
Unfortunately, unless you want to fork out the same amount of money, or something happens with government legislation abolishing full fee/fees, that's the sad reality of the University system.
I agree that there is no way around it but that doesn't mean I like it.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
If you hate internationals that much just go to a regional university. 100% bogan :D
Wrong. We've got a shitload of internationals at UNE; the college is currently playing host to a bunch of Vietnamese exchange students who don't speak a word of English. Worse, they seem to think we all speak Vietnamese, especially one of my friends from Hong Kong.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They get more points for PR from memory if they go to a rural or non city uni.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Yes. I don't get along as well with people who can't speak English, as people who speak English fluently. It sounds horrible, but it's true. Comparatively, they make little attempt to mingle in with the other crowds at uni, they don't understand questions in tutorials, they sit there mumbling half spoken answers in tutorials, they pretty much just harm the overall experience of university.

stephenchow

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Yes. I don't get along as well with people who can't speak English, as people who speak English fluently. It sounds horrible, but it's true. Comparatively, they make little attempt to mingle in with the other crowds at uni, they don't understand questions in tutorials, they sit there mumbling half spoken answers in tutorials, they pretty much just harm the overall experience of university.
hahahahahaha

If the case of marking exams in subjects where there are a lot of internationals, then i hope its in Accounting

EDIT: and also, maybe it's just that having a lot of international students at uni is part of the university "experience"

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well doing a group assignments with fobs introduces you to the reality of working with lazy, clueless people who expect you to make up for their inadequacies. kinda like the real world actually. thats the best preperation uni can give you.

xoa

HSC
Lets be realistic. We get poor quality internationals, but they're no worse than the standard of Aussie student at many universities. At least the Chinese and Indians have an excuse for mediocrity - poor English skills. Uni student numbers have inflated massively in recent decades - degrees don't mean as much as they used to. So long as you've got a pulse and can write your name, a uni somewhere in Australia will accept you, whether you're Aussie or international.

Australia has chosen to pursue quantity over quality when it comes to tertiary education. We have a million uni students currently - I think the number should be indefinitely capped at that.

onemind

HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What, we can only vote "too many" or "not enough"? What about those of us who think it's fine as is or don't care?

Who the hell deals in absolutes like that?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
yeah

Last edited:

xoa

HSC
Ennaybur said:
I don't know that denying people tertiary education is a good thing, if that is what you're suggesting?
I think that a million university students is enough. If that means denying a taxpayer funded degree to the most unprepared or uncommited, then so be it.

During the 1970s/1980s there were far less students, but each student was better supported, and students had better prospects when they graduated.

We can't expect high calibre international students, until we expect the same of our domestic students.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I still fail to see the problem here. Universities don't just exist as a learning institution, they exist as a business. If they don't make money, they can't provide education. Now, you might not like full-fee paying students on campus, but without them the university won't be able to provide you with tertiary education. Hence, you lose. You might think of it as an evil, but it's a necessary one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)