Are universitie's flexible with ATAR's for getting into arts degrees? (1 Viewer)

allyxoxo

HSC
I want to know if USYD and/or UNSW are flexible with the ATAR because I didn't as well as I hoped, but not so bad either.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I want to know if USYD and/or UNSW are flexible with the ATAR because I didn't as well as I hoped, but not so bad either.
They are not flexible, regardless of what people say. You arent getting into a 90 course with an 80 ATAR whether u like it or not. Transferring is absolute crap, and requires wasting years in crappy uni's and hoping for the best.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on how far off you are from the cutoff. See if you're eligible for bonus points or flexible entry, etc

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
They are not flexible, regardless of what people say. You arent getting into a 90 course with an 80 ATAR whether u like it or not. Transferring is absolute crap, and requires wasting years in crappy uni's and hoping for the best.
Unfortunately, this is mostly correct. Unless they have a huge drop off in demand (which given the popularity of those two unis is unlikely) there isn't much chance of you getting in if you are a considerable amount away from the required marks. One or two is possible, especially with second/final round offers, but not much more than that.

Transfers are unreliable. Possible, but shouldn't be taken as a guaranteed way of getting into the course.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, this is mostly correct. Unless they have a huge drop off in demand (which given the popularity of those two unis is unlikely) there isn't much chance of you getting in if you are a considerable amount away from the required marks. One or two is possible, especially with second/final round offers, but not much more than that.

Transfers are unreliable. Possible, but shouldn't be taken as a guaranteed way of getting into the course.
Yeah I cant stand the people who constantly say u can easily transfer courses if u don't get a high enough atar. You CAN but it won't be easy, fun, or worth the years u will spend in a crap uni.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I don't think it is wise to dismiss transferring so easily. If we're talking between different universities then yes i agree with you, it can be a shit fight. However transferring from one degree to another within a university is relatively simple providing you have fairly reasonable grades (dependent on the degree of course). If you're smart about it it is not by any means a waste of time, you simply take the same units that you would in the degree you plan to switch to and transfer the credit over when you do make the actual transfer, it is effectively like doing a year of the degree under a different name.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I don't think it is wise to dismiss transferring so easily. If we're talking between different universities then yes i agree with you, it can be a shit fight. However transferring from one degree to another within a university is relatively simple providing you have fairly reasonable grades (dependent on the degree of course). If you're smart about it it is not by any means a waste of time, you simply take the same units that you would in the degree you plan to switch to and transfer the credit over when you do make the actual transfer, it is effectively like doing a year of the degree under a different name.
Yea I was referring to transferring between unis, that would be a biatch

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Yes it can be, but that doesn't mean it should be avoided at all costs. I also wouldn't call it complete bullshit, plenty of students do it every year. I have quite a few friends who didn't have any problems tranferring between universities, though the ease of the tranfer really depends on the degree and the sort of grades you're getting.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Just remember when transferring (internally or externally), there will be plenty of other students with exactly the same idea. So keep your marks up. They say credit average, but I've heard differently from friends (i.e D, or even HD).

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
If you didn't get the ATAR required for an arts degree why are you even going to uni?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)