are we behind? (1 Viewer)

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
OP just chill.
year 11 doesn't count. and it's easy for me to say having finished year 12, but seriously, save the stress for year 12. ranks get wiped clean for year 12, so even if you end up last because your class was a bit behind, you can start afresh in year 12.
i realised how much year 11 didn't count when it came to my last assessment task for english, which was a speech and someone was like "why are you freaking? this doesn't even count for anything." consequently i breezed through yearlys with some crappy marks but hey, in a coupe of weeks it meant nothing and i just got to start again in year 12 :)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
But i heard that most of the students who achieve 90+ UAIs are students who worked hard in yr 11 and yr 12.

I have a friend who started taking his studies very seriously after the SC. Mind you my friend wasn't anywhere near the top of the grade. My friend did end up achieving dux of the school and a nice UAI. The person who had been dux years 7-10 did not receive the dux award in yrs 11 and 12. My friend did.

my friend worked extremely hard in yrs 11 and 12.
"something just struck this student, this student was an average student but then out of nowhere just topped subjects by considerable margins"
The dux of yrs 7-10 didn't perform as expected in the senior years.

SO i dunno what to think..you people are telling me yr 11 doesn't matter but from friends i know they seem to say different.

:confused:

:( they better pick up the pace or else like you say .. (tears)

Last edited:

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
As long as you know that it counts for nothing, but you still have learnt the content in year 11 I dont think it matters considerably.

There is always those stories about the undercover nerds that blow everyone away in year 12. Im planning on working hard so that I have an understanding of the work but not burn out or stress overly.

speedofsound

HSC
I think it's just important to get into some good study habbits now in year 11, so you're not trying to sink into something completely different by year 12. I'm trying my best to be a little more efficient with my work, but thus far it's not working. :p I'm trying not to take things too seriously in year 11, I really don't wanna waste my energy for year 12.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well, u dont need to do well in yr 11 to do well in yr 12 but you will have severe doubts in ur mind if u are capable of doing well because u never have and u might find the change in study patterns too drastic or hard to do

HSC
we're just slightly ahead (maybe two or three periods) in maths, physics and legal..

english we're doing a comparative study so no idea if you're behind

and i dont do chem

Brontecat

HSC
I feel your pain. I'm supposed to be starting distance ed in IPT and Business Studies, but the school still hasn't enrolled me yet and in SOR II my teacher has not even begun the extra work that i need to do (im doing SOR 1 with my year who are doing it over two years)

as a result i am now 4 weeks behind in distance ed. work :angry:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
English - We're studying many texts on the Human Condition, and we've finished watching As Good As it Gets and finished reading Brave New World, and we have handed in two writing tasks already, on two poems we have finished analyzing.

English Ext 1. - Finished reading Emma, presented a group task on an aspect of Emma and taken notes from other presentations.

Maths - Finished Locus, Quadratics, and Trig Identities/Equations. This consists of sin (a +b) and all the others (sin (a-b), cos (a + b), tan (a+b) etc) as well as the double angle formula (Sin 2A, Cos 2A, Tan 2A). Quadratics was graphs, discriminants, equations reducible to quadratics, roots and coefficients, simulatenous equations, quadratic identities and the parabola as a locus (Focus/Directrix etc.) Locus was Locus. We're beginning revision of Radians on Monday, and the week after we're starting Calculus.

Chemistry - Finished the first 3 1/2 pages of the Chemical Eart syllabus + done two pracs.

Economics - Done first three chapters in the textbook, currently doing Models of Circular Income Flows.

Modern History - Doing Hitler Case study, Nazi Germany stuff.

From what I can see, you're behind my school. But it's Ruse, so I don't think you should freak.

speedofsound

HSC
English - We're studying many texts on the Human Condition, and we've finished watching As Good As it Gets and finished reading Brave New World, and we have handed in two writing tasks already, on two poems we have finished analyzing.

English Ext 1. - Finished reading Emma, presented a group task on an aspect of Emma and taken notes from other presentations.

Maths - Finished Locus, Quadratics, and Trig Identities/Equations. This consists of sin (a +b) and all the others (sin (a-b), cos (a + b), tan (a+b) etc) as well as the double angle formula (Sin 2A, Cos 2A, Tan 2A). Quadratics was graphs, discriminants, equations reducible to quadratics, roots and coefficients, simulatenous equations, quadratic identities and the parabola as a locus (Focus/Directrix etc.) Locus was Locus. We're beginning revision of Radians on Monday, and the week after we're starting Calculus.

Chemistry - Finished the first 3 1/2 pages of the Chemical Eart syllabus + done two pracs.

Economics - Done first three chapters in the textbook, currently doing Models of Circular Income Flows.

Modern History - Doing Hitler Case study, Nazi Germany stuff.

From what I can see, you're behind my school. But it's Ruse, so I don't think you should freak.
lol

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
But i heard that most of the students who achieve 90+ UAIs are students who worked hard in yr 11 and yr 12.

I have a friend who started taking his studies very seriously after the SC. Mind you my friend wasn't anywhere near the top of the grade. My friend did end up achieving dux of the school and a nice UAI. The person who had been dux years 7-10 did not receive the dux award in yrs 11 and 12. My friend did.

my friend worked extremely hard in yrs 11 and 12.

The dux of yrs 7-10 didn't perform as expected in the senior years.

SO i dunno what to think..you people are telling me yr 11 doesn't matter but from friends i know they seem to say different.

:confused:

:( they better pick up the pace or else like you say .. (tears)
year 11 doesn't matter in terms of ranks, marks and apart from maths (maybe sciences, but i didn't do any so i can't comment), content. year 11 is just like a practice year i guess. you know, perfecting essay techniques, study routines (if you're that type of person...i know some people who would do x hours per day whatever, whereas i was all over the place and was changing study habits all the time- each to their own), cramming skills etc. all i'm saying is do your best, but if it doesn't go all to plan, you don't need to freak out. especially considering you're only halfway through term 1! hopefully all that made sense haha.

Brontecat

HSC
i dont think that you are necessarily behind in mathematics as you have 7 topics and 3 terms to do them, that is quiet a lot of time, however if like me you will be finishing mathematics this year then i'd say having done 3 or 4 topics (i've done 3.5) would be sufficient

kwabon

Banned
HSC
in english we have just started ..somethings on "Identity"

In maths we have done: algebra, surds, basic arithmetic, and have started solving quadratic equations (by factoring, completing the square and the quadratic formula).

In physics we are learning how to plot waves...???? :confused: i think we are behind in this..

In chem we are just reviewing alkanes, alenes and alkynes. :confused:

in legal studies we have only completed the legal notions and how they relate to law...

OMG i feel the teachers are going to slow..we have to cover so much content and concepts in three terms.....

as a resulted i have resorted to going ahead on my own..in all my subjects..

Where is everyone else at ?

lol, who cares, its only year 11, all u hav to do is pass in each subject.
i were u, i would prolly start the HSC course right now, by either going to tutions or self study, then next year will be a breeze for u guys;)

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Looks like i have a lot of work to do on my own then.

Everyone seems to be ahead. :jaw:

yr 11 doesn't matter ??? :confused:

it does or it doesn't ?

confused :confused:

Brontecat

HSC
in think year 11 matters in terms of learning the basics that you'll expand on in the HSC - for me i'm definitely treating everything seriously especially bio and maths

studentcheese

HSC
hehe but seriously, your school will only teach you stuff that they have taught you, and that is why I don't think you should worry about being behind - except maybe in Maths. Just pay attention to what they teach, and you should pass the Prelims fine.

HSC
i don't think you're behind, our school is about at the same place as you. If you are, then we are.

maths 2u - just finished algebra and numbers chapters on thurs. (binomial, trinomials, surds, factorising) basically just revision. i heard we were doing calculus next? not sure haha

ext maths - just finished circle geometry. we have a class test on thursday so revision until then.. no idea what we're doing next. i never check as you can probably notice.

physics - doing motions. acceleration and velocity crap. i think we're way behind in this. only half way through the 'Moving About' section.

chemistry - chemical equations. just finished gravimetric analysis and methods of seperation. again, i think we're behind.

biology - food chains? i think... i hate bio so i dont pay much attention.

adv eng - Othello. just writing notes on it and that.

fully223

HSC
Our school has been doing the basics for revision on Maths. All the alegbra techniques etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)