Are you a believer, an agnostic or an athiest? (1 Viewer)

Believer, agnostic, athiest

• Believer

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Athiest

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
To provide some comparison, the latest nationwide poll on this subject:

Essential Research poll (8-13 July, 2008. Sample size 1041)

Religious affiliation in Australia
Q. Thinking about your own religious beliefs, which best describes you?

I am a regular worshipper in my religion 16%
I am religious, but rarely go to church/place of worship 41%
I would describe myself as an agnostic 21%
I would describe myself as an atheist 22%
Total 100%

Garygaz

HSC
Enteebee said:
Yea, I guess so, are you referring to something that caused the Big Bang, or alike?

And Edward, are you referring to Scientology? because then no, that's a load of BS :)

Or if you're on of those theorists who think we are some kind of alien experiment, well then.... I dunno:p

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Theoretical agnostic (can never know either way) and functional atheist (actively do not believe in God, any more than I believe in a celestial teapot).

Edward Teach

Blackbeard!
HSC
N/A
Garygaz said:
Yea, I guess so, are you referring to something that caused the Big Bang, or alike?

And Edward, are you referring to Scientology? because then no, that's a load of BS :)

Or if you're on of those theorists who think we are some kind of alien experiment, well then.... I dunno:p
no i mean aliens from another planet/galaxy

that if we encountered them, they would be so much more advanced technologically/culturally/heuristically than us as to be indistinguishable from gods, or god-like entities

nothing to do with Enkindlers

Garygaz

HSC
Edward Teach said:
no i mean aliens from another planet/galaxy

that if we encountered them, they would be so much more advanced technologically/culturally/heuristically than us as to be indistinguishable from gods, or god-like entities

nothing to do with Enkindlers
hmm, I get what you mean, as in the theory that if space is infinite, so is the amount of universes and galaxies, therefore, there would be infinite amounts of other civilizations, infinitly more advanced, intelligent and what not.

Hmm. Interesting. I'd call that atheist though, believer is more of in a higher force which watches over us and potentially created life. That's what I inferred, though interpret it as you like, vote what you most think reflects your belief.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
L. Ron Hubbard will come again!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
L. Ron Hubbard will come again!
TBH Scientology makes way more sense than any traditional monotheistic religion to me.

At least it's plausible rather than an omnipotent benevolent friend who watches down on everyone in the world smiling and telling chosen people secrets.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Scientology... plausible?

It's followers believe that the universe is something ridiculous like 70 billion years old+. Xenu.

ALL RELIGIONS ARE BLOODY NONSENSICAL.

Garygaz

HSC
Plausible... haha. Read about Xenu and thetans... They pretty much believe that an alien god flew aliens to earth to kill the overpopulated universe and dropped them into volcanos and H-bombed the living crap out of them. Their spirits flew around and inhabited our bodies. WRITTEN by a science fiction writer, of course.

Optimus Prime

Electric Beats
Wherevr sentient beings are being mistreated
HSC
Garygaz said:
Plausible... haha. Read about Xenu and thetans... They pretty much believe that an alien god flew aliens to earth to kill the overpopulated universe and dropped them into volcanos and H-bombed the living crap out of them. Their spirits flew around and inhabited our bodies. WRITTEN by a science fiction writer, of course.
This is what christians ACTUALLY believe.

God wanted a way for the people to be able to live with him forever so he impregnated a virgin who was consequently born in a stable. Throughout his life he performed many miracles such as healing the sick, restoring sight to a blind man and hearing to a deaf man, turning water into wine and feeding thousands of people with only a few loaves of bread and some fish. He even resurrected a close friend of his after he had been dead for 4 days. After approximately 30 years God decided that his own followers would turn jesus in to the Romans. The romans reluctantly had Jesus nailed to a cross (crucified). 3 days later Jesus rose from the dead to take his place at the right hand of God, thereby making a holy trinity. Yes god is infact 3 things, a father a son and a spirit. Jesus dies for our sins (and is resurrected) every year and that allows us access into eternal salvation.

Edit: btw, agnostic and atheist aren't mutually exclusive.
Edit2: Apathetic Agnostic

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Optimus Prime said:

God wanted a way for the people to be able to live with him forever so he impregnated a virgin who was consequently born in a stable. Throughout his life he performed many miracles such as healing the sick, restoring sight to a blind man and hearing to a deaf man, turning water into wine and feeding thousands of people with only a few loaves of bread and some fish. He even resurrected a close friend of his after he had been dead for 4 days. After approximately 30 years God decided that his own followers would turn jesus in to the Romans. The romans reluctantly had Jesus nailed to a cross (crucified). 3 days later Jesus rose from the dead to take his place at the right hand of God, thereby making a holy trinity. Yes god is infact 3 things, a father a son and a spirit. Jesus dies for our sins (and is resurrected) every year and that allows us access into eternal salvation.

Edit: btw, agnostic and atheist aren't mutually exclusive.
Edit2: Apathetic Agnostic
If you put it that way..

Agnostics = Atheists who can't commit, lol. Quoted from someone on BoS (I think).

HalcyonSky

HSC
Garygaz said:
Actually, very few prominent figures in scientology admit that this is a literal belief of theirs. Xenu could hardly be called a significant aspect of the doctrine, people should stop quoting it in hope to ridicule scientology.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Garygaz said:
Plausible... haha. Read about Xenu and thetans... They pretty much believe that an alien god flew aliens to earth to kill the overpopulated universe and dropped them into volcanos and H-bombed the living crap out of them. Their spirits flew around and inhabited our bodies.
Seems reasonable.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Optimus Prime said:

Lol ...ah.. no they dont :)

westlife

HSC
i would have to say i'm a bit of agnostic. i was raised catholic, i attend a catholic and currently studying SOR2 for the HSC. i believe in something beyond us (a transendant) but i don't think its god or jesus. truthfully i don't know, but i also believe in destiny and choice. so i'm not a pure agnostic but i'm not really believing christain either.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You believe in destiny and choice?

Ah, the bounds of human rationality.

Garygaz

HSC
HalcyonSky said:
Actually, very few prominent figures in scientology admit that this is a literal belief of theirs. Xenu could hardly be called a significant aspect of the doctrine, people should stop quoting it in hope to ridicule scientology.
But seriously, come on. They play on your insecurities with a free stress test (go outside Coles Town Hall in the city on a Friday night) with no mention of Scientology at first. They ask you a series of questions whilst you hold an E-meter (to hunks of metal connected to a machine) which apparantly reads your emotional response. They will then ALWAYS, no matter what your answers, tell you that you are unhappy and that they can offer you auditing sessions to help. Then you can wave goodbye to your hard earned moolah as you 'donate' excessive amounts of money for these sessions. Funny, they preach that psychology is evil yet auditing is pretty much the same thing.

I could go on for hours about how they've killed people, taken people's money and what not.

www.xenu.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07m-IvvpK2E

Spend 20 minutes of your time having a look and make your own mind up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)