Are you comfortable with 24/7 Government Surveillance? (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
nao; you're not listening. I am ONLY talking in hypothetical terms. Of course we can't build something that is 100% always going to work and I was talking about an ideal world, but I am saying if this was a perfect world (which it isn't); then would you be comfortable with such a system?
Still would not be comfortable.

Paranoia that it could all go haywire haha.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
so with all this ISIS stuff going on; do you guys want some sort of AI watching over you?

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
That's some 1984 shit
Do not want

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Re: Congratulations, we have lost our freedom.

Hahaha.... yeah right.... the greens are stupid

If isis want to target westerners.... they should target the greens/PC people.... im sure isis would despise these greens/lefties people a lot more than the average aussie...

BTW: If i had to hate something more between islam and the greens.... I would pick greens first then islam second.....

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad

Hahaha trust the greens to come up with something like this...

They can delete data on my PC? Oh no, I hope they don't delete any assignments that are due soon :S

Have you got something to hide FlyingKanga? If so, then yes I can see why you're against these laws. If not, then there's absolutely nothing to worry about. They're not going to waste time on some random when there are terrorists out there trying to hurt their loved ones.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Inb4 people suspect illuminati conspiracy theories.

Lol its even a triangle :p.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

- if you're not a terrorist; you have nothing to worry about
- compromise national security and you should be jailed or at the very least be thrown in some deep dark hole
- again; compromise national security and you deserved to be shot down by drones
- they need to do they job properly. It is not the first agency to have exemptions. example; AFP have immunity when carrying out some operations
- something like a system? :p. again don't be a terrorist; who cares if they read a few of your text messages. what are you doing? buying C4?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC

I used to have a mindset of "who cares, I have nothing to hide?", but it must have changed after I read Animal Farm and V for Vendetta for English this year. How do we know the precedence won't be extended and the next thing we know, we'll all be accepting curfews in the sake of stopping an unlikely threat? We won't be harmed from it, but it's unnecessary. This whole thing is unnecessary. 800 police were dispatched and only one arrest was made. Australia hasn't had a single terrorist attack in decades.

They've already taken free speech away from Victoria. http://talkingpoints.com.au/2014/03...750-2-years-gaol-attending-protests-victoria/ If people don't start speaking out, who knows what they'll do next.

I'm not really good with expressing my views, so I'll just link this here. https://newmatilda.com/2014/09/23/abbotts-anti-terror-laws-are-real-danger-australia

Notable quote but read all of it:
The terror bill to be debated this afternoon will further curtail Australia’s already-truncated civil liberties. It will allow ASIO even wider surveillance powers, despite the clear evidence ASIO has abused those powers in the past. It will criminalise the reporting of intelligence links, potentially setting the stage for journalists and whistleblowers to be jailed for revealing things such as the Australian military’s hacking of the Indonesian president’s phone. It will also allow ASIO agents to use force in interviews – although we’re assured that this won’t mean torture.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC

I used to have a mindset of "who cares, I have nothing to hide?", but it must have changed after I read Animal Farm and V for Vendetta for English this year. How do we know the precedence won't be extended and the next thing we know, we'll all be accepting curfews in the sake of stopping an unlikely threat? We won't be harmed from it, but it's unnecessary. This whole thing is unnecessary. 800 police were dispatched and only one arrest was made. Australia hasn't had a single terrorist attack in decades.

They've already taken free speech away from Victoria. http://talkingpoints.com.au/2014/03...750-2-years-gaol-attending-protests-victoria/ If people don't start speaking out, who knows what they'll do next.

I'm not really good with expressing my views, so I'll just link this here. https://newmatilda.com/2014/09/23/abbotts-anti-terror-laws-are-real-danger-australia

Notable quote but read all of it:
- I am not saying all of the law is good but it is there for "the greater good".
- People who have abused their privileges would have been punished
- How do we know a terrorist attack might not happen tomorrow? (I hope it doesn't but we would need "everything" to make the "correct" decision)
- if it really is "unnecessary" then just let them do it, let them compile their information and if they ever need to use it then they have it; otherwise it will just sit there

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC

- I am not saying all of the law is good but it is there for "the greater good".
- People who have abused their privileges would have been punished
- How do we know a terrorist attack might not happen tomorrow? (I hope it doesn't but we would need "everything" to make the "correct" decision)
- if it really is "unnecessary" then just let them do it, let them compile their information and if they ever need to use it then they have it; otherwise it will just sit there
Naivety is what caused a totalitarian society in those two texts I mentioned. There will always be a 'greater good' available. Hundreds die from car-crashes every year, the 'greater good' in that scenario is to install fat bumpers on all cars. Unnecessary however. Just like the fact that it is extremely unlikely for a terrorist attack to occur, but restrict our freedom because of it and give a mysterious company the power to legally spy and torture suspects? I don't really understand the severity of this bill but I know it's dangerous.

If abuse isn't common in ASIO, then why do they require protection from civil and criminal liability?
Actually, how even will the first four dot points help fight against terrorism?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)