• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Are you only doing physics to get into engineering? (1 Viewer)

Are you doing physics just for engineering?

• I have to do it for engineering

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • i like it and i need it for engineering

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • i need it for a diff uni course

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • i like the subject

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
I know that UNSW requires 3 unit for Mechanical Engineering. No way you'll pass if you only did general. Infact you won't pass Physics 1A if you can't handle HSC maths.
Hence my point that they shouldn't let kids that do general math in high school and do reasonably well in HSC Physics live under the false impression that they are any good at it. Seriously, flogging the shit out of HSC Physics requires year 10 maths at best (basic algebra). If u did general, and have a good memory and basic algebra skills u can easily get a band 6 in Physics. This may lead u into choosing it at uni thinking it's an area of strength. But in the end, u havnt really studied physics at all. The HSC is completely watered down and hence pointless. Bring back the 1980's I say!

On that note (since i do commerce at uni), the HSC Economics course also fails in this category. It should go beyond what it already teaches and bring in harder algebra, basic calculus and optimisation! Many kids don't even know it (even after studing eco at HSC level), Economics is a highly mathematical discipline.

lionking1191

HSC
miche11e said:
physics doesnt scale well!! i think its possibly the worst scaling out of physics, chem and bio! (if i remeber correctly - dont hurt me!! :p)
chem>phys>bio :)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
The problem with chem is unless you do it at a fairly high level (read like, really fucking high) its just "remember this convetion, like valency, except its not always true, we can't tell you why, just remember it."

cheney31

HSC
Cookie182 said:
Hence my point that they shouldn't let kids that do general math in high school and do reasonably well in HSC Physics live under the false impression that they are any good at it. Seriously, flogging the shit out of HSC Physics requires year 10 maths at best (basic algebra). If u did general, and have a good memory and basic algebra skills u can easily get a band 6 in Physics. This may lead u into choosing it at uni thinking it's an area of strength. But in the end, u havnt really studied physics at all. The HSC is completely watered down and hence pointless. Bring back the 1980's I say!

On that note (since i do commerce at uni), the HSC Economics course also fails in this category. It should go beyond what it already teaches and bring in harder algebra, basic calculus and optimisation! Many kids don't even know it (even after studing eco at HSC level), Economics is a highly mathematical discipline.
oh is it...i know the shit about HSC physics but i thought economics and commerce are fully essay-based? LOL thanks for mentioning that..i think im gonna re-consider my uni option then....

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Would HSC Physics even help with University engineering courses? I mean, I think doing Extension 1 Mathematics would be more helpful/relevant than Physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)