Art Theory revision for HSC (1 Viewer)

i don't hate art theory
i just hate that my teacher didn't teach it to us bah....:(
silly wombat man!!!
art theory and art prac should be two different classes,
it would just be logical!!!!

Caboodles

As mittens said, you must locate the key aspects of the question in section one, before you start try to isolate aspects of the question before you start. Once you do that answer the question stating what it relates to....such as the conceptual framework and explain what it is lightly, list agencies, then assess the image and how it relates. Section 1 a) b) and c) each involve a different aspect of the syllabus, and they wont be repeated. So if you find out two of them, you'll know what the other one is.
I have a sheet with over 40 past exam essay questions for section 2. If anyone wants some I can post em if u want!:)
Hope this kinda helps......I am crap at describing stuff
-*caboodles*-

Last edited:

gem_max

HSC
I remembered another thing thatll get you on the road to band 6 marks. Make sure you have loaded up on fancy assed art words for your vocabulary. If you can be concise with comprehensive and effective descriptive words you will impress the markers.

Not that bright have some respect eh?

Jase

HSC
Don't the essay questions always let you choose one out of ten?

Well, extension english won't help much if you are doing your case studies on the Old Masters and Impressionists... but it sure would be great for those stupid postmodern artists .. oo how i hate them *shakes fist*. Postmodern is so yesterday anyway, western society's social structure can't be decomposed anymore than it has, even race isn't a big issue anymore. We live in the age of the internet, the age of mechanised furbies, the age of Homer Simpson. We are the pre-neo-post-de-modernists.

So anyway, the best way to study for art is to brush up on your art terms and large confounding and possibly french words such as apotheosis, joissance, mise-en-scene, culturally propounding social perception, antidisestablishmentarianism.
And of course, synonyms and big adjectives:

Image = Symbols, signifier, concept, idea, expression, portrayal ... lalala
Many words for the same colour: i.e.
Red = crimson, alizarin, rosy, blood, sanguine, red as rudolf's nose, red like pale skin after a big spanking, red like a red crayon.

Art terms -> brushwork, Chiaro Scuro, contrast, technique, form, structure, shape, colour, tone, gradient, aesthetics, vibrant, vivid, blah.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
actually my teacher has a wild idea that we're moving into a new period in art due to the internet and greater knowledge n that..
Teens are generally depressed with the state of the world because of their greater knowledge now, there's very little mystery etc...
i dunno

mittens

HSC
Jase said:
Don't the essay questions always let you choose one out of ten?

Well, extension english won't help much if you are doing your case studies on the Old Masters and Impressionists... but it sure would be great for those stupid postmodern artists .. oo how i hate them *shakes fist*. Postmodern is so yesterday anyway, western society's social structure can't be decomposed anymore than it has, even race isn't a big issue anymore. We live in the age of the internet, the age of mechanised furbies, the age of Homer Simpson. We are the pre-neo-post-de-modernists.

So anyway, the best way to study for art is to brush up on your art terms and large confounding and possibly french words such as apotheosis, joissance, mise-en-scene, culturally propounding social perception, antidisestablishmentarianism.
And of course, synonyms and big adjectives:

Image = Symbols, signifier, concept, idea, expression, portrayal ... lalala
Many words for the same colour: i.e.
Red = crimson, alizarin, rosy, blood, sanguine, red as rudolf's nose, red like pale skin after a big spanking, red like a red crayon.

Art terms -> brushwork, Chiaro Scuro, contrast, technique, form, structure, shape, colour, tone, gradient, aesthetics, vibrant, vivid, blah.

hehehe, and about that pre-neo-post-de-modernists... wouldnt it just be easier to say post-conceptual age? think about it... if its all been done before art is no longer about expressing yourself to the audience which then effects the movements through the vast trend an artist will take on to please the world and in doing so... they sway with the world they live in... now it just so happens evri1 thinks art has to be made nowadays with layers of meaning behind it to show you're some genius... so therefore i believe it safe to say that we're re-living the conceptual age... hence: post conceptual! yay... not reeli cause its ruining art and i dont like it!

also... im reeli sorry if i've mislead you b4 but the conceptual frame is actually about the world, the impact that has on the artist, the impact s/he has on their artwork which impacts the audience be they critics, the general public, internet surfers that come across stuff and yeh which in its turn influences the vastness (<----insert better word here) of the world... so yeh soz if u were actually usin what i said b4 about the conceptual frame

Jase

HSC
post-conceptualist? wouldn't that mean being "over" conceptualism and into pure aesthetics with no big impact on the world.

The same way post-modernism got over the nihilism of modernism and moved on to ... .. random shit about uncertainty.

Or i still don't really understand what "conceptual" means.

mittens

HSC
well basically conceptual... traced back to it's root word is concept... conceptual is the descriptive word...the adjective if it's past or post conceptual then it's past teh age where it was about the concept, but its about surpassing the concept nowadays... about showing that you know more than what you first let on... we give way to imagination and base it on we know... art is becoming more and more relative... if you still dont understand then feel free to challenge it... today, the concept is the thing the critics are looking for... and you'll see art today, look at it and say 'i wonder what that's about' because thats the uniform overtaking the art world... i personally think it sux but theres not alot one can do when art for art's sake is a waste of time and nothing's done to aesthetically please anymore... well thats where i stand... im not contradicting myself am i?... lol

Jase

HSC
ah i see. Yes my point is, in fact there is so much of this conceptualism these days, its going over the top with meaning. Same with postmodernism.. with all its uncertainty.. its making more absolutes about things that we don't know. It's time for a new age beyond double paradoxes and post-conceptual practice. It's time to party with the heart of the universe itself... and eat cookies.

Jase

HSC
oh my WOW. I wish I had known about Alex Grey sooner. Thanks mitten!..

This is kinda what my work is all about.
- minus the creepy anatomy dissections and Avalokitesvara. (what a cool name ^^)

mittens

HSC
seriously jase! thank mindriot! she introduced me to alex grey the other week! it was soo cool so i decided i'd use him in my exam! yay! new case study! :uhhuh: which makes a real change cause its not so boring if ur looking at sumthin new... not revising all the stuff u knew b4!... did u kno that he dsigned stuff for the tool album... if ya kno tha band and nirvana and stuff! how cool! yay! ;) p.s. whats that and eat cookies remark off? is it invader zim?

Last edited:

Yarg

HSC
i figure, seeing as all my art teachers were high throught their entire life, if i go into the test high, ill get high marks. Haha. I usually get 75-80+ marks and i just ramble on as if i was high. Easy. Don't stress out too much.

tranquilized

HSC
My art teacher always came to class high, which is normal for most art teahers. I've written me an essay for cultural frame. My teach checked it and im just gonna memorise it, as there will be a question i can manipulate it to. As for the first few questions you just gotta have an inteligent arguement backed with proof such as qouting the descriptions. Also, make sure you refer to the frames. That'll get ya a decent mark.

notlongnow

mittens said:
atleast 5 artists and atleast 4 of their artworks from each artist! then by golly are u set!
How can u write about 5 artists times atleast 4 artworks from each.. that is at least 20 artworks in a 45min essay.. thats absolutely impossible.. i got 24/25 for my essay in the trials and i spoke of 5 artists and one artwork for each..

mittens

HSC
notlongnow said:
How can u write about 5 artists times atleast 4 artworks from each.. that is at least 20 artworks in a 45min essay.. thats absolutely impossible.. i got 24/25 for my essay in the trials and i spoke of 5 artists and one artwork for each..
actually i was thinking about that the other day... im guessing that if you put a whole lot of quick references in there and look into 3 artists in complete detail then there's no chance of u failing... unless u dont relate it back 2 da question... i dunno, 5 artists and 4 artworks from each means that when u get into the exam u have more to pick and choose from to help stabolise ur argument, yeh... lol go figure i guess!

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
There are no 1-2 mark questions.

Section One:
Question One
a) 5 marks
b) 8 marks
c) 12 marks
The Frames, Conceptual Frames, Artist Practice and Role of Critic/Historian.

Section Two
Question Whatever-you-want-to-call-it) 25 marks
Prepare at least 5 artists in depth...3 with a common theme (Technology, Gender Art, Abstraction...etc.)

piratedebbie

HSC
is 6 artists with 3 works each ok? i dont know how mnay works to do for each one??????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)