ASAP Help on measurement of speed of light required (1 Viewer)

amdspotter

HSC
Hello,
i just wanted to know what were the scientific theories and laws of physics that Ole romer based his measurement of the speed of light on.
also what equipment did he utilise to make these measurements?

any help asap would be greatly appreciated :)

vishnay

God
HSC
Romer observed that the time it took for to disappear and reappear from behind Jupiter during an eclipse and found it varied slightly depending on the time of the year.

At times when the Earth was moving away from Jupiter, the time between eclipses gradually increased; as it moved closer the time decreased. Romer realised this could be explained by the varying distances between Jupiter and the Earth.

The different times for orbit reflected the different distances light had to travel and this allowed him to estimate the speed of light as being by determining that it took 22 minutes for light to travel across the diameter of Earth’s orbit around the Sun.

this is just a short summary maybe read your textbook for more details

amdspotter

HSC
Romer observed that the time it took for to disappear and reappear from behind Jupiter during an eclipse and found it varied slightly depending on the time of the year.

At times when the Earth was moving away from Jupiter, the time between eclipses gradually increased; as it moved closer the time decreased. Romer realised this could be explained by the varying distances between Jupiter and the Earth.

The different times for orbit reflected the different distances light had to travel and this allowed him to estimate the speed of light as being by determining that it took 22 minutes for light to travel across the diameter of Earth’s orbit around the Sun.

this is just a short summary maybe read your textbook for more details
oh ok thanks a lot, but is there any other scientific concepts, theories or laws that romers method is based on other than velocity = distance/time. also thanks for your response

vishnay

God
HSC
oh ok thanks a lot, but is there any other scientific concepts, theories or laws that romers method is based on other than velocity = distance/time. also thanks for your response
i mean i wouldn't even jump to romer in hsc bc i prefer fizeau and focault

but yeah just look at what jacaranda says on romer bc i dont rlly know romer in extensive detail

amdspotter

HSC
i mean i wouldn't even jump to romer in hsc bc i prefer fizeau and focault

but yeah just look at what jacaranda says on romer bc i dont rlly know romer in extensive detail
Oh ok yep I was reading jacaranda and in focus but could only find anything except speed = distance / time. Also bro since you have done fizeau can you suggest some limitations in his experiment I have found some but think they are too vague like human error etc. Also can you name some prominent scientific theories that fizeaus experiment was based upon. Thanks a lot for your time btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)