Ashes Series 2009 (2 Viewers)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Word is that if England opt to bring in a batsman it will be Ramprakash. On one hand that is very lol worthy, he's a hundred and fifty and never delivered in tests, on the other for a player in those circumstances to be considered he must be in some pretty awesome county form, which he is, he's averaged about a hundred for the last four seasons.
Sauce?

This could be interesting if true.

Lentern

HSC
Sauce?

This could be interesting if true.
They were talking about it on TMS, basically they started off saying he's too old, he'd struggle but then again Englands batting clearly needs bolstering and he outpeforms all the test plays at Surrey and frankly who else are you going to bring in? Robert Key? Ed Joyce? Owais Shah? A quick google news search will pull these up
Mark Ramprakash tipped for shock England recall - Times Online
BBC SPORT | Cricket | England | Ramprakash in England contention
Adams calls for Ramprakash reselection | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Aggers thinks he's got buckleys however and Aggers tends to know more about English cricket than the players do.

My personal views are that Ramps should have been in Australian in 2006. I said it before that series started and I think the result justified the suggestion that he atleast be in the squad. His form back then was incredible, I recall Aggers then saying something to the effect of "Most county bowlers are more nervous about bowling to Ramprakash than they are Pietersen or Strauss."

I think age has began to effect him more since then and he is no longer up to the constant barrage of quality bowling that the Australian bowlers can produce. I also don't think Bopara in his current state let alone Ian Bell are any more capable and I do know that if Johnson and Siddle come and bowl some of the rubbish they bowled earlier in the series that Ramps will punish them. So if I were managing the squad I would be inclined to ask Ramprakash to play one last game for England in place of Ravi Bopara and pray for good fortune.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
I have always liked Ramps batting style and I agree that with that kind of average in county he would be a shoe-in to the current English test team considering their floundering middle order.

However, I'd have to go with my instincts on this and say that he's probably a big too long in the tooth to be included in the test team for the test at The Oval. However, England should take a leaf from Australia's book (Watson for Hughes) and take a gamble somewhere. Strauss hinted at a few possible changes, however I don't think they will be major as they only have one shot to take the series.

Eitherway, the poms are in trouble with their current team. Their confidence would be shot after being spanked so comprehensively and they will be under pressure considering Australia only need a draw to take the series. However, Ponting will be going for the kill as he wants the record of an Ashes series win in England, which hasn't happened for years.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
If it doesnt swing England will not get 20 wickets next test and the ashes will be retained.

Ramps was quality back in the day.

edit: HOW IS WATSON SCORING RUNS. OMG WORST OPENING BATSMEN IN THE HISTORY OF TEST CRICKET

blue_chameleon

HSC
OMG WORST OPENING BATSMEN IN THE HISTORY OF TEST CRICKET
Explain?

I think he's doing pretty well actually. Can't see any reason to think otherwise. HE even gives the pom's a good bit of lip.

Lentern

HSC
I have always liked Ramps batting style and I agree that with that kind of average in county he would be a shoe-in to the current English test team considering their floundering middle order.

However, I'd have to go with my instincts on this and say that he's probably a big too long in the tooth to be included in the test team for the test at The Oval. However, England should take a leaf from Australia's book (Watson for Hughes) and take a gamble somewhere. Strauss hinted at a few possible changes, however I don't think they will be major as they only have one shot to take the series.

Eitherway, the poms are in trouble with their current team. Their confidence would be shot after being spanked so comprehensively and they will be under pressure considering Australia only need a draw to take the series. However, Ponting will be going for the kill as he wants the record of an Ashes series win in England, which hasn't happened for years.
In terms of batsman I can't see who really would have a better chance of scoring some than Ramps which is tragic but cannot be avoided. Key may be in form right now but he has never shown the same class that Ramps has, an average of 40 in county cricket is only worth about 35 in Shield cricket. Joyce and the other young turks would have impossible pressure on them you couldn't expect them to be any better tha Bopara.

Dare I say the only advantage to being forty is that he probably can cope with pressure and the "saviour" concept could prove a real morale boost for England. I also think the change really needs to come from the batting, Sidebottom is great but it's going to be a modest improvement on their current bowlers if anything. If I was an English selector I'd pick some equivalent of Brad Hodge in a heartbeat but they just don't got one.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
isn't the lords pitch meant to be flat as hell and with virtually zero movement?

blue_chameleon

HSC
I thought The Oval has always prided itself on being an evenly balanced pitch. Rewards both batsmen and bowlers if they play the right way.

Traditionally it's been the venue for the 5th Ashes test.

Does anyone think Flintoff would provide enough of the "X-Factor" to get England over the line in this next test? My money is on him playing.

Garygaz

HSC
I thought The Oval has always prided itself on being an evenly balanced pitch. Rewards both batsmen and bowlers if they play the right way.

Does anyone think Flintoff would provide enough of the "X-Factor" to get England over the line in this next test?
Well they were definitely missing something last test. I think the benefit of a player who brings excitement to the pitch and can fire up his team mates is under-rated. We'll see if he's back.

Garygaz

HSC
The only POSSIBLE change I would consider would be Lee for Siddle, but Siddle's been performing and I'm only saying Lee off past form. Hard choice.

Lentern

HSC

Does anyone think Flintoff would provide enough of the "X-Factor" to get England over the line in this next test? My money is on him playing.
I meant the last few summers, traditionally the two "classic test cricket pitches" were The Oval and the MCG.

blue_chameleon

HSC
This looks disappointing: Ashes Cricket 2009 PS3, XBOX360

I had a hit at a JB HIFI on a PS3, and whilst the graphics look well improved, it still carries the trademark repetitive commentary/umpire movements of the previous Codemaster attempts at cricket games. I like how it's fully licensed, but the players likeness is a bit off the mark (apart from a few).

Please can someone rebuild the cricket games into a decent attempt, rather than serving up window-dressed games.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Explain?

I think he's doing pretty well actually. Can't see any reason to think otherwise. HE even gives the pom's a good bit of lip.
explain. he has a shit eye, have you watched him??? he seems to pick up the length and line super late when it comes to the quickes, obviously not suiting the opening batsmen role. Luckily most pitches in england dont bounce as much as say the gabba or the wacca, in which would see him get into alot more trouble. I have a friend who played grade cricket with him, before he came to play grade with me, for the tassie tigers. said he was a rubbish player. His bowling is average, at a nippish pace but not quick he doesnt get an extra bounce nor does he move the ball greatly. I really cant see him being an asset to the aussie team. Pick an extra bowler or batter, because watson cant do either properly.

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Hughes was only dropped as a victim of circumstance due to Johnson's abysmal bowling, so they picking Watson because he could open competently and bowl a bit. However, he hasn't had an impact with the ball at all. They are better off bringing back Hughes, as he is our future at the top. Watson is merely a stop gap solution that isn't particularly required now that Johnson is back in form.

Drop him after a 5 for :haha:
Who cares if he got 5 wickets? Throughout the series, he has on the whole proved thoroughly ineffective against the top order and only takes wickets against the tail. Is Stuart Broad a superstar because he took 6 wickets in Australia's first innings after being pumped by the top and middle order? Statistics don't always paint the correct figure.

newmz89

Beer
HSC
lol read this on the bbc sport website. made me lol

"My current computer password at work is "Flintoff" and I've just been told that my password will expire in two days. Is this some kind of grim omen?"
Ryan, expat in Sydney, in the TMS inbox

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)