• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ashes to Ashes (1 Viewer)

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
edit: all out for 157 :D

but wtf, punter is choosing to bat again? Maybe he's hoping to build a lead of 500+ and tempting england to play aggressive so they dont just try and block for the last 2 days?

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
ponting will probably let australia bat out most or all of the day and try to bury england. in that, by burying them they have no chance because they won't last two days straight.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
BlackDragon said:
ponting will probably let australia bat out most or all of the day and try to bury england. in that, by burying them they have no chance because they won't last two days straight.
They are probably looking for 150 or 200 before they declare.

I don't know why they chose to bat again. With the way things are going it doesn't really make all that much sense. I am thinking Ponting was influenced by someone from Cricket Australia who wanted the game to go into the 5th day.

BlackDragon

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
They are probably looking for 150 or 200 before they declare.

I don't know why they chose to bat again. With the way things are going it doesn't really make all that much sense. I am thinking Ponting was influenced by someone from Cricket Australia who wanted the game to go into the 5th day.
or the fact that he probably didn't want to bat on the fifth day and he wanted the pitch to deteriorate a bit more for the english, as pidgeon said.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
BlackDragon said:
or the fact that he probably didn't want to bat on the fifth day and he wanted the pitch to deteriorate a bit more for the english, as pidgeon said.
They were already more than 400 ahead, England had no idea and they were on fire. There was no way they would need to bat on the 5th day. The highest second innings total is less than 500 and England playing the way they are certainly aren't going to get anywhere near that.

Australia batting again is unnecessarily dragging the game out.

BlackDragon

HSC
ricky ponting would not elongate the game just because cricket australia want it. (if indeed they do). he obviously has his reasons and he obviously thinks they are good because lengthy periods in the field on days 4 & maybe 5 will wear his bowlers down for the next test.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If 602 was enough in the first innings 623 is surely enough for the second. They need to stop wasting time and bowl again.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
brogan77 said:
who gives a shit, stop having a cry.

we'll win either way.
You never know. They have messed around before and ended up with a draw when they should of won.

BlackDragon

HSC
yes it was a bit frustrating to see ponting and langer continue to bat needlessly until stumps. he was probably just giving his bowlers a rest to hopefully start fresh come morning. although....ponting may give langer his century. which would be another annoying delay.

BlackDragon

HSC
lol. i just don't want to see us throw away matches. not that this is happening, its just that, last ashes series we did. we should have won. in fact, in reality, we were 3 runs from retaining the ashes..- the second test.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
BlackDragon said:
although....ponting may give langer his century. which would be another annoying delay.
That's the problem now. They are plenty ahead and the bowlers are rested but they definitely won't declare until Langer either gets his hundred or gets out. And if in that time Ponting bats really fast and gets close they might even wait till after he gets his hundred aswell.

brogan77 said:
So you guys would prefer to watch less cricket?

Um, ok. :S
I would prefer they don't give England any chance for a draw no matter how unlikely it may be at the moment.

HSC
No way england will draw, even if langer and ponting get hundreds. If they bat on, they'll look to accelerate anyway, maybe give gilly a go if a wicket falls quickly.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i dont agree with ponting's decision not to enforce the follow-on. england was on the rope and we should have finished them off there and then. the bowlers werent tired, they only bowled for 60 odd overs. it is not able seeing more or less cricket, it is about winning and that's all it counts.

another thing, i think gilly's batting has been on a bit of a slump, if he doesnt improve soon and australia goes 2-0 up, i think haddin might get the nod.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
wuddie said:
i dont agree with ponting's decision not to enforce the follow-on. england was on the rope and we should have finished them off there and then. the bowlers werent tired, they only bowled for 60 odd overs. it is not able seeing more or less cricket, it is about winning and that's all it counts.
We ARE going to win, there really is no question about it. The forecast for the rest of the week is fine.

If Ponting WAS to follow on, it would've given England the target of 400-odd runs over 2.5 days? You couldn't rule that out of the equation, could you? That's too much time, England would be at no rush to make the total, provided they don't risk stupid shots. And leave too many balls. :rolleyes:

BlackDragon

HSC
i disagree with your logic there. in that, if england can't last for two days after we've batted for a second time, how are they meant to survive for 2.5 days if we enforce the follow-on? there is no way they would, and it does matter at all if they did get the 450 because they would not be able to post anything decent and we would just clean them up with the bat.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
So, England definately wouldn't have reached the 450-odd runs over the next 2.5 days? Highly improbable the way they played, but still possible. And now they're accustomed to the pitch somewhat, which has been a good batting pitch (well for the Aussies anyway)

With the way McGrath and Clark were bowling, I personally would've liked to see the follow-on and get it over with.

It doesn't matter, it just shows how hungry Ponting is for the Ashes back.

BlackDragon

HSC
i was saying that even if they did get the 450 that they would be leading by a big 0 and that they would be on the brink of defeat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)