• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

'assess current developments in the use of biopolymers' (2 Viewers)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
What exactly do they want.?. Recent developments. It kind of makes no sense IMHO
This is part of the 2002 paper so maybe they wont ask for something like this. Do they want the uses such as shampoo bottles etc

I'm on my phone and am away from home so I dont have a computer and thus this will probably make no sense. Stupid iPhone autocorrect

HSC
What exactly do they want.?. Recent developments. It kind of makes no sense IMHO
This is part of the 2002 paper so maybe they wont ask for something like this. Do they want the uses such as shampoo bottles etc

I'm on my phone and am away from home so I dont have a computer and thus this will probably make no sense. Stupid iPhone autocorrect
I believe this question also popped up in the 2005 (or 2006) chem paper... So it seems a decent question.

Recent developments, generally, will include methods of easier extracting the biopolymer which is effective both financially and time-wise. Other recent developments may border alternatives of spawning the Biopolymer through a combination of other methods (and so on).

Though, I presume you're chosen biopolymer is Biopol (which is by far the easiest). Recent developments of this may include genetically engineering bacteria such as E. coli and imprinting the genes of the bacteria with those of microorganisms that naturally produce Biopol (alcaligenes eutrophus from the top of my head). Also, other alternatives could include utilising cheap substrates (food sources) to grow the bacteria required to produce Biopol.

From here I would probably look into some of the advantages of the aforementioned. You might even, as you mentioned, assess the potential socioeconomic advantages of the products that may be produced from the biopolymer. In this case, Biopol's use in medicine is worth looking into. Though I would look into what the syllabus stated before doing so - because applications of the biopolymer seems to be going off-topic.

Check out the dot point book if you do study Biopol, it has some decent information.

Last edited:

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Thanks so much UnrealAnchovies. Thanks so much for the clarification. I just got stumped when it said 'recent develments in the USE'

Thanks so much.

Riproot

Addiction Psychiatrist
I don’t see how that’s any of your business…
HSC
Uni Grad
No worries. :)
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.
Thanks so much.

muzeikchun852

HSC
I believe this question also popped up in the 2005 (or 2006) chem paper... So it seems a decent question.

Recent developments, generally, will include methods of easier extracting the biopolymer which is effective both financially and time-wise. Other recent developments may border alternatives of spawning the Biopolymer through a combination of other methods (and so on).

Though, I presume you're chosen biopolymer is Biopol (which is by far the easiest). Recent developments of this may include genetically engineering bacteria such as E. coli and imprinting the genes of the bacteria with those of microorganisms that naturally produce Biopol (alcaligenes eutrophus from the top of my head). Also, other alternatives could include utilising cheap substrates (food sources) to grow the bacteria required to produce Biopol.

From here I would probably look into some of the advantages of the aforementioned. You might even, as you mentioned, assess the potential socioeconomic advantages of the products that may be produced from the biopolymer. In this case, Biopol's use in medicine is worth looking into. Though I would look into what the syllabus stated before doing so - because applications of the biopolymer seems to be going off-topic.

Check out the dot point book if you do study Biopol, it has some decent information.
is E. coli thes same as PHB ? because i did PHB and it has similar info with ur explaination ..

To produce PHB, a culture of a microorganism such as Alcaligenes eutrophus is placed in a suitable medium and fed appropriate nutrients, so that it multiplies rapidly and grows into a large quantity.

Then the “diet” is changed to restrict the supply of one particular nutrient (such as nitrogen): under these conditions the organism is no longer able to increase in population but instead begins to make the desired polymer which it stores for later use as an energy source.

The amount of PHB that the organism can produce is from 30-80% of its own dry weight. The organism is then harvested and the polymer separated out.

ibbi00

HSC
is E. coli thes same as PHB ? because i did PHB and it has similar info with ur explaination ..
PHB - Polyhydroxybutyrate is the chemical name whereas Biopol is the commercial name. The same biopolymer.
Traditionally, they would use the micro-organism Alcaligenes Eutrophus (A. Eutrophus) to synthesise this biopolymer. However, this method was quite expensive so current developments involve the use of the bacteria E. coli, where it is genetically engineered to include the gene from A. Eutrophus that is responsible for the synthesising this biopolymer. E. coli are much cheaper since they can reproduce in large numbers in a short period of time.

Some properties from the top of my head:
Bio-compatible
Biodegradable so will reduce waste from landfills.
Resistant to UV light and chemical attack
Permeable to oxygen
Dissolves in the body.
These general properties make it great for the use as surgical sutures that require no removal by the doctor as they simply dissolve away.

EDIT: I just realised that I practically repeated what UnrealAnchovies said. It pays to read next time...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)