• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Assessing with Essays (1 Viewer)

Rory

HSC
I've come to realise that my weakest point in most subjects right now is with Essays, It only seems to be lately since in past years I've always excelled with essays but recently I just seem to miss the point a lot, especially when asked to "assess" - I can't seem to register it in my head and end up babbling a load of shit and just do a recount of that particular event and don't really answer the question, especially with history.

Are there any particular tips to remember when asked to 'assess' with essays on Ancient/Modern history? If so, would someone kindly enlighten me. I'm just seem to be floundering lately which doesn't seem to help me at all with motivation. Any suggestions/tips/help is muchly appreciated :)
Thanks.

cayte

I think the most important thing to remember is that you will never be asked: "Tell me everything you know about...". You need to decide what's relevant to the question and try and stay within that, it will assist the clarity of your essay.
Ask your English Dept if they have a list of the common essay-questions verbs and exactly what they mean. Words we use every day are actually surprisingly ambiguous to define at times.
And in my opinion, 'assess' means to decide how important or how significant an event/person/period was in relation to something else. Often times a question will lead you that way anyway, eg something like "Assess the importance of Pericles in the development of Athenian democracy" (from 2001 external paper), ie decide HOW important Pericles' role was in said development and support with evidence.
Hope that all helps. Good luck!

incubuskid

our teacher has always said to start an assess question with ...was EXTREMELY IMPORTANT because... and then back it up with quotes/sources etc.

cayte

Touche. I can think of better ways to start an essay though. Besides, assess implies that there is possibility for debate. Using the example above you could just analyse Pericles' role in the development, but a better ASSESSment would include other factors that were at play and weigh Pericles' role against these, thus ASSESSing the role and its importance and answering the question. It shows the examiner you've actually thought about the question rather than just telling them what you think they want to hear.

Rory

HSC
Thanks Cayte, I'm just having one of those "I'm stupid" days lol everything I know seems to fly out the window when I'm forced to rush my work. I'll e-mail my english dept. to get some old essays, my modern hist teacher always sends me some example essays back with my work if I ask her to so it shouldn't be too hard :)

You have somewhat made me relax a little though heh, I had to do an essay today, took me a fair while to get it out of my noggin, but by what you've said, I covered the 'assessing' bit.

cayte

Cool, glad to be of assistance! And "I'm stupid" days are always allowed in your final years. It's not a stupid question though, you'd be surprised at the number of people who basically ignore the "how" words of an essay question, just focus on the "what" and end up just spitting out everything they now about a topic, relevant or otherwise. That's why you should never be too concerned in an exam situation when the person next to you has already filled two booklets and they're asking for a third when you've finished your essay and answered the question in three pages...

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Look at past papers. There are only so many topics that can be asked. And the questions are usually similiar, revolving around the same main topics or points

Last edited:

Gemstone

Okay well the HSC keywords list defines Assess as make a judgement on value etc. So that's what it'll mean in the HSC.

So to Assess something you've got to be able to argue your point of view clearly, and you must have a point of view. You can't just rattle off facts unless without saying how they relate.

So with the above question you can't just talk about you can't just discuss the establishment of democracy. You've got to take a point of view and argue it.

I don't think it's likely you'll get an ancient questions that allows you to not take a point of view. Though that's just me.

Hope this helps and that I didn't confuse you even more.

Gems

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
With Assess you have to learn to be selective of your information so it pertains solely to your argument. Also, when you make a point, be sure to thouroughly back it up, with modern and/or primary written sources, and archaelogical sources too.

cayte

Originally posted by Gemstone
Okay well the HSC keywords list
Hah! I knew it existed. Get your hands on one of those. I couldn't find one on the net, but our English Dept had them. Useful, even just for reclarification.

Rory

HSC
^ Yeh I think I'll have to find me one of those..lol sounds helpful to have lying around.

Gemstone

HSC Key words lists

gee I thought everyone got them. We got given them in year 11 and there up in everyclassroom.

I can type them up if you guys want a copy.

Gems

Rory

HSC
^ I'd love a copy if it wouldn't be too much hassle?
I didn't get one, hell I didn't even realise they existed lol but I do home school so yeh, they evidently don't hand them out.

charmed_cuties

Bubblegum girl
HSC
well in ancient history classes, my teacher keeps emphasising the key words such as explain, describe and particularly assess- if u look in the hsc key words, it simply involves making value judgements about a personality, society or historical period. It will also involve u making a value view on how successful, beneficial or failure of that area of the essay. And in Ancient/Modern History, rememeber u got top refer to relevant sources in order to gain the full marks

Rory

HSC
In other words assess = evaluate.
I think I prefer the word 'evaluate' rather than 'assess', I don't know why, it just seems a bit more clear.

Gemstone

Hey Rory I'll post up the keyword tommorrow probably the list is stuck to my bedroom door and I'm not in there at the moment but I'll copy it down tonight and post it tomorrow.

Gemma

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)