Assessment Marks/Ranks so far (1 Viewer)

bmwz4

HSC
ssglain said:
I think that certain subjects are much more prone than others to be affected by the subjective bias of teachers. The maths and science subjects tend to be much more objective with very clear cut marking criteria and no grey region between right and wrong.

A friend of mine, who was dux of Adv and Ext-1 Eng in Yr 11 and ranked 1st after the first Adv HSC assessment, had a discussion today with the marking teacher over a few lost marks in the recent Adv assessment and was told that if marks were deducted, then she had obviously failed to meet the criteria. Surprisingly though, after the teacher reread the essay and ticked over all the criteria there ever existed, her reasoning for the deducted marks were that "Although you met the all the criteria for full marks, clearly other people had written beyond outstanding essays".
lol yeah i agree...my teacher said that they marked an essay harshly even though it was the top but it satisfied the criteria to get full marks...they said they didnt give the full marks so i wouldnt think the essay is perfect? i think its good because it motivates you to do better (better than 100%?) but yeah i think hard marking schools are better off so students arent disappointed by their final marks because they have been thinking they are topping a subject when in reality they suck compared to the state...back to u ssglain:p

ssglain

HSC
bmwz4 said:
back to u ssglain:p
I think I missed that cue to make a response, but I think I've said enough on the matter. Let's move on and address the subject of this thread.

I got 2U maths back yesterday and Ext-2 maths today.

2U (too bad this doesn't count for anything)
Mark: 48/48

Ext-2 Maths
Mark: 83.5/105
Rank 2/23

Grr. I want my Ext-1 Maths and Adv English speech marks back.

Last edited:

bmwz4

HSC
ssglain said:
I think I missed that cue make a response, but I think I've said enough on the matter. Let's move on and address the subject of this thread.

I got 2U maths back yesterday and Ext-2 maths today.

2U (too bad this doen't count for anything)
Mark: 48/48

Ext-2 Maths
Mark: 83.5/105
Rank 2/23

Grr. I want my Ext-1 Maths and Adv English speech marks back.
omg this is complete contradiction to my previous post, but i got 100% in my english speech lolol

princy

HSC
English Advanced - =4th/75
English Extension One - 2nd/11
English Extension Two - 1st/5 (going off marks for proposal and first draft)
Legal Studies - 1st/20something (not sure how many people are in the class)
Modern History - 1st/16
Extension History - 2nd/5
Society and Culture - I have no idea, I think I would be in the top three, not sure though.

I am pretty happy with my marks for things so far and have a few assessments to come back yet, so hopefully my ranks wont change much.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Got a few things back just before the holidays.

English Speech: 14/15, =1st out of 30-something.
English In Class Essay: 12/20, no idea but not too good. Not too happy with this one at all, bloody King Lear.
Maths Ext. 1 "Communications Task": 100%, =1st out of 20-something.
Maths Test: 84% (argh ran out of time), =1st out of 40-something, people doing 4 Unit did better but their marks weren't counted in the ranking
SDD Assignment: 38/50, =2nd out of 5. Thought I'd done much better in this one. Ah well.
Business Test: 40/40, 1st out of 30 or 40. My hard work paid off, but I still need to climb up the rankings ladder in the half-yearlies.
Chemistry Prac: 17/20, top mark was 19 but I have no idea how many people got it and 18.

Half yearlies coming up, fairly worried about them. Especially Chemistry. I don't want to screw the good run I've had lately.

Last edited:

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
my half yearlies were in weeks 4&5!

advanced english: 93% (1/18)
english extension I: 92% (1/10)
english extension II: (1/3 based on viva voce & proposal)
mathematics: 75% (14/45)
ancient history: 90% (2/35)
history extension: 84% (1/12)
economics: 90% (2/15)

tres pleased, sans maths.
i hate maths with a passion. :mad1:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
cucum3rs said:
my half yearlies were in weeks 4&5!

advanced english: 93% (1/18)
english extension I: 92% (1/10)
english extension II: (1/3 based on viva voce & proposal)
mathematics: 75% (14/45)
ancient history: 90% (2/35)
history extension: 84% (1/12)
economics: 90% (2/15)

tres pleased, sans maths.
i hate maths with a passion. :mad1:
Good stuff!

Just wondering, can only two units of English count or can they all? Cause if they all can, the maths result may not matter too much in the long run. 14/45 is pretty good anyway!

HSC
Since they are doing 11 units, then maths will count for at least one unit. And yes, all 4 units of english can count, provided 4 subjects are counted, which applies.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Hey watatank..I done 2unit maths last year... and im doing 3unit and 4unit this year... people are saying that my 2unit maths mark doesn't count... is that true?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Hey watatank..I done 2unit maths last year... and im doing 3unit and 4unit this year... people are saying that my 2unit maths mark doesn't count... is that true?
It's true, if you do extension 2 maths and you have already done 2 unit maths, then 2 unit maths would no longer count in your UAI.

beentherdunthat

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
It's true, if you do extension 2 maths and you have already done 2 unit maths, then 2 unit maths would no longer count in your UAI.
SUUCKSSS!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Oh well at least I got a scholarshipp... Gives me a reason to bludge. My mum is like "why are you staying at home when you have school which we pay for!?!??" I'm Like HELLO...YOU DON'T PAY ANYTHING...and ever since then... I don't even need to be sick to stay at home :D

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
When people choose to do 4 unit math, there's some reasoning behind it but what happens is that 3u math and 4u math will count for two units each, instead of 1 as they normally would (as they are ext subjects).

To answer your question unless you really really screw up one of three or four unit two unit won't count.

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
SUUCKSSS!!!!!!!! :( :( :(

Oh well at least I got a scholarshipp... Gives me a reason to bludge. My mum is like "why are you staying at home when you have school which we pay for!?!??" I'm Like HELLO...YOU DON'T PAY ANYTHING...and ever since then... I don't even need to be sick to stay at home :D
Scholarship?

bmwz4

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
yah i got 98 for maths, 94 for bio - two term scholarship!!! ( thats how long we spend at school anyway :D )
what marks are they? did u accelerate or something or are they prelim marks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)