• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

assessments (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
ok, this has been mentioned a few times in various threads but anyway, if u have a hand in assessment, can u hand in a draft beforehand to have ur teacher read through it for you? and maybe give some constructive comments? some teachers REFUSE to do that at all cos it gives an "unfair advantage". some ppl have argued in forums that they SHOULD read through the essays for their students. they can't exactly mark it but some dont even point u in the right direction.

i know its imprtant to get as high marks as possible for hand in stuff but is there a rule that says teachers ABSOLUTELY CANNOT do this?

my modern teacher today read through my essays and couldnt give me anything better than "you're on the right track". i got so frustrated so i kept trying to get it out of him by continually asking and i guess pestering and finnaly got something out. some comments about structure and stuff and maybe the band and mark i would get. took almost half of my lunchtime though!

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Teachers feel bad about it because they're probably told by the department to not help people 1-on-1.

It's essentially fair IF everyone was told they could do a draft and have it commented on, but realisticly, most people just deal with it, write the best they can without specific guidance, and hope for the best.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hmmm, but my class is the type of class where no one cares and no one would ever dream of being so "studious" as to write a draft first and actually ask the teacher for help. im the only one that actually does that so its to THEIR disadvantage if they dont do the same isnt it?

Miffy

Yeah i agree with you Sarah, it is the other class members disadvantage if they don't do what you are willing to do in order to improve your assessments. At my school teachers urge us to hand in assignments early for comments, and although they are unable to tell us EXACTLY what we would get marks for etc they can give you general direction and comments.

If your teachers aren't willing to do it, maybe go and see the co-ordinator of the particular subject. I mean you are in year 12 and it is the teachers job to assist students outside of the classroom if they are willing to ask for it. Goodluck!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
What you could and should do is instead of handing in a draft of the essay which is being assessed find a question or create a question and write an essay for that (but as long as it's sort of similar to your assessment) that way it's not unfair to the other students as the teacher won't really be telling you what to do re: that assessment task BUT she will be able to assess your writing style and what you're including, how closely you follow a generic marking criteria and so on, which is infinitely more helpful than being told the answer to your current assessment and you're already ahead of the class because you've already done one more HSC style question and gotten more practise than they have!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Remember, a teacher is not allowed to help you with an assessment task. You have to do it yourself, and if they mark a draft and tell you where you went wrong then they are helping you. That why you have to get around that by doing something like above (as long as they agree to mark it before you write it!).

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarah168
ok, this has been mentioned a few times in various threads but anyway, if u have a hand in assessment, can u hand in a draft beforehand to have ur teacher read through it for you? and maybe give some constructive comments? some teachers REFUSE to do that at all cos it gives an "unfair advantage". some ppl have argued in forums that they SHOULD read through the essays for their students. they can't exactly mark it but some dont even point u in the right direction.

i know its imprtant to get as high marks as possible for hand in stuff but is there a rule that says teachers ABSOLUTELY CANNOT do this?

my modern teacher today read through my essays and couldnt give me anything better than "you're on the right track". i got so frustrated so i kept trying to get it out of him by continually asking and i guess pestering and finnaly got something out. some comments about structure and stuff and maybe the band and mark i would get. took almost half of my lunchtime though!
one of my frienz got a teacher to read through her thing and fix it up it took all lunch, itz unfair because of cause she got full marks. the teacher told her what to do, but she argues any1 could of asked for help

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Teachers feel bad about it because they're probably told by the department to not help people 1-on-1.

It's essentially fair IF everyone was told they could do a draft and have it commented on, but realisticly, most people just deal with it, write the best they can without specific guidance, and hope for the best.
nah they can help 1 on 1 for sure. anyways my friends tackle teachers while they r on playground duity like seriously they claim it as like their private study periods

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ziff
Remember, a teacher is not allowed to help you with an assessment task. You have to do it yourself, and if they mark a draft and tell you where you went wrong then they are helping you. That why you have to get around that by doing something like above (as long as they agree to mark it before you write it!).
but they can help cant they? coz they r always like we r here to help

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
girl04 did u have to post that as 3 separate posts?
usually if you can hand in a draft teachers tell the whole class because then its fair for everyone.. usually more than half dont bother handing in drafts and its their loss
in cafs we had the option of handing in a draft.. and also some subjects make you hand in an initial proposal (eg geography sgp or business report) so they make sure you are on the right track
if you are confused about something the teacher does have to help you... they cant just let u go doing it all wrong.. just have to go and ask them but i dont think handing in a whole assessment is fair

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
my english teacher was more than happy for us to hand in drafts for her to mark...
around 50% of the people did so....i'll say around 9-10 people

just because she marks it doesn't mean she's marking it good...
she gives these half arse answers and doesn't give straight forward solutions....

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by redslert
just because she marks it doesn't mean she's marking it good...
she gives these half arse answers and doesn't give straight forward solutions....
Maybe she's just a bad teacher.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
okay.
teachers are not meant to directly help you with internal assessments; by that, i mean they're not supposed to/allowed to take drafts etc and mark them. personally my teacher tends to devote a lesson or two to telling us exactly how to get top marks, this is acceptable because it's aimed at helping the whole class, not individuals, and therefore everyone has equal shot at getting the marks based on that info.
for external exams, meaning the hsc, they can read over all the practise essays and such that they're willing to; i know that in the week before the hsc my mother got practise essays emailed from about 40 different studnets

Ziff

HSC
N/A
My response to Girl04 is what Glycerine said :)

Gemstone

Really not all teachers read through drafts and stuff.

Wow practally all my teachers will read though draft assessments and stuff. They can't mark it or anything but they can kindda tell you if theres extra stuff you should think about and add in also help you with sturcture and stuff.

I don't know why teachers would refuse to do it cos it helps you get a higher mark which helps the schools image (i guess), and it's not as though there only doing it for just you. I mean if anyone else asked them to they'd do it for them too. It would only be unfair if they were only doing it for certain people without offering the others.

Gems

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by Gemstone
Really not all teachers read through drafts and stuff.

Wow practally all my teachers will read though draft assessments and stuff. They can't mark it or anything but they can kindda tell you if theres extra stuff you should think about and add in also help you with sturcture and stuff.

I don't know why teachers would refuse to do it cos it helps you get a higher mark which helps the schools image (i guess), and it's not as though there only doing it for just you. I mean if anyone else asked them to they'd do it for them too. It would only be unfair if they were only doing it for certain people without offering the others.

Gems

they can suggest things that you should do to improve marks; they can't actually mark it

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
I get teachers from other schools to have a look at it

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
haha yeah I just get my mum, it's cool cause she's teaching two out of the four topics I'm doing for normal english, and is v v knowlegdable on my extension topic, so it's pretty much free tutoring, score

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by glycerine
haha yeah I just get my mum, it's cool cause she's teaching two out of the four topics I'm doing for normal english, and is v v knowlegdable on my extension topic, so it's pretty much free tutoring, score
Which skool does your mum teach at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)