Assignments or Exams? (1 Viewer)

Which do you perform better in? Assignments or Exams?

• Assignments

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Exams

Votes: 33 40.7%

• Total voters

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Kids that plagiarise and get their parents to do their assignments don't even get A's in assignments.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Kids that plagiarise and get their parents to do their assignments don't even get A's in assignments.
I prefer exams. I tend to perform better in assignments but I like exams better.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Lol if I gave my parents my assignments, they'd probably at least get me a C, if lucky, a B, if really lucky, an A :D.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i prefer doing exams for subjects that require a lot writing, i.e history & the social sciences/humanities. it shows who has the brains and who doesn't

in assignements i do fairly well (usually near the top) but once in a while i seem to screw something up. assignements can easily be plagarised and sometimes the "dumber kids" get better marks than the "smarter ones"

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
sikhman said:
or who has the best memorised essay.....best exams are ones which ask you to apply your skills and knowledge: e.g. complicated projectile motion questions.....you can't really memorise that. imo that shows who has brains....
Projectile motion is easy. I reckon Simple Harmonic Motion questions can get a lot tricker than projectile motions questions. Ofcourse, it's not as if SHM is very hard either.

It's the subjects where you think that shows who has the brains. Not who can memorise their textbook better. Math = use brain. History = BS your way through the test, or memorise stuff.

selablad

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
Assignments FTW... can't stand exams... i feel all yucky under exam conditions... and den i just get a mind blank.... :( guess ill have to get used to it for HSC externals :(
Move to Qld. There's no such thing as HSC externals.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
selablad said:
Move to Qld. There's no such thing as HSC externals.
Isn't there a final exam such as the 'SAC?' in QLD? If not, QLD here I come! Correct me if wrong selablad :), I'm not sure about the QLD education system there.

Edit: Woot! assignments is leading by 2 votes!

selablad

HSC
I have no idea what the SAC is :) You'll have to explain what that means...

Queensland has the Core Skills Test at the end of the year, but it doesn't have anything to do with any subjects and you can't really study for it, it just makes sure you know the basics of english, maths etc from year 10 level. You have to write an essay and do a bunch of multiple choice questions and stuff. It doesn't really test you, but your school, to see how your school ranked that year.

You should come to Qld anyway...it's better :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
selablad said:
I have no idea what the SAC is :) You'll have to explain what that means...

Queensland has the Core Skills Test at the end of the year, but it doesn't have anything to do with any subjects and you can't really study for it, it just makes sure you know the basics of english, maths etc from year 10 level. You have to write an essay and do a bunch of multiple choice questions and stuff. It doesn't really test you, but your school, to see how your school ranked that year.

You should come to Qld anyway...it's better :)
Yeah I'm not sure about the SAC as well. But I heard that it's like a final exam in QLD like the HSC in NSW and for Victoria, the 'VCE'.

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Aerath said:
Believe me its happened before and the kids have even talked about how they had parent help or copied off the internet.
For example one kids mum worked in a bank, we had a maths assignment on compound interest and bank loans and that kid got 20/20 and she even said after she got her marks back that her mum did it for her.
In the exam she got 30% or something.

selablad

HSC
Never heard of a SAC, but we don't have final exams for each subject in Qld, just the QCS as a general make-sure-you're-not-all-stupid-idiots test.

Our OP is taken as all of your assessments taken together...and for a lot of subjects, they count assessments from both years, so none of this bludging in the "preliminary" year :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
selablad said:
Never heard of a SAC, but we don't have final exams for each subject in Qld, just the QCS as a general make-sure-you're-not-all-stupid-idiots test.

Our OP is taken as all of your assessments taken together...and for a lot of subjects, they count assessments from both years, so none of this bludging in the "preliminary" year :)
Ah I see. Actually, now I'm glad I'm not living in QLD, because my half yearly exams I believe didn't go so well, but in-class tasks and assignments are great :). If I were in your shoes, the pressure would be on.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
Believe me its happened before and the kids have even talked about how they had parent help or copied off the internet.
For example one kids mum worked in a bank, we had a maths assignment on compound interest and bank loans and that kid got 20/20 and she even said after she got her marks back that her mum did it for her.
In the exam she got 30% or something.
What goes around comes around. ;)

selablad

HSC
Razizi said:
If I were in your shoes, the pressure would be on.
Well, it's kind of like each assessment doesn't matter so much, because there's so many of them, so if you screw up one, it doesn't matter...but if you screwed up your HSC exam, isn't that like 50% of your marks gone or something? I like my system better, but each to his own :)

Also, this may be a stupid question, but why do you all have "half-yearly" exams like now, and at the end of last term? Where I come from, half-yearly means June...:confused:

Aerath said:
What goes around comes around. ;)
qft

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
selablad said:
Well, it's kind of like each assessment doesn't matter so much, because there's so many of them, so if you screw up one, it doesn't matter...but if you screwed up your HSC exam, isn't that like 50% of your marks gone or something? I like my system better, but each to his own :)

Also, this may be a stupid question, but why do you all have "half-yearly" exams like now, and at the end of last term? Where I come from, half-yearly means June...:confused:
Yeah, but we basically only have 3 terms in Year 11. Term 4 is considered Year 12. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
Ah, I see...so what is Term 4 Year 12 then?
No Term 4 for Year 12 students. It is during Term 4 when Year 12 students nervously wait for HSC results and those who can't, end up commiting suicides. :D

selablad

HSC
lyounamu said:
No Term 4 for Year 12 students. It is during Term 4 when Year 12 students nervously wait for HSC results and those who can't, end up commiting suicides. :D
Hahaha...so you don't do anything for a whole term? Oh wait, when do you write your HSC exams?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
selablad said:
Hahaha...so you don't do anything for a whole term? Oh wait, when do you write your HSC exams?
After the term 3 holidays, HSC begins and continues for a month or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)