At LEAST one additional text (1 Viewer)

Rachael325

HSC
if the question says to talk about at least one additional text of your choosing, is it ok to talk about ONLY one? or should we really do at least two?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
For Paper 1, you'd usually have another two additional texts.

If it says "at least one" other text of your own choosing, then it wouldn't be wrong to do only one, as long as you it's done with sufficient depth.

Kyroth***

HSC
Paper 1, they only make you have one other text, because you've got to do the stimulus booklet too, so it makes up to a minimum of 3 texts (prescribed + stimulus + own), same as in all the modules (prescribed + 2 own). Of course, that doesn't mean you can't do more!

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
our teacher has said it to us many times that if it says do at least one, do one, because if you do two, its not in as much detail, whilst other students who done just one, they have analysed it to the max, and so you may end up losing marks for insufficient analysis

serge

HSC
fantasy27 said:
our teacher has said it to us many times that if it says do at least one, do one, because if you do two, its not in as much detail, whilst other students who done just one, they have analysed it to the max, and so you may end up losing marks for insufficient analysis
ive been taught the exact opposite, ATLEAST means absolute minimum
so how can the person doing the least amount of work, get the higher
band? I think to provide a real insight into the concept you should have 2
related texts

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
serge said:
related texts
Yeah, I think it's important to have an extra additional text at hand.

Our trial question said "additional texts", which meant more than one.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
fantasy27 said:
i was taught like this also. this method assumes that the QUALITY of your analysis will increase as you're only doing 3 texts. if you think you can cover 4 texts in the appropriate time adequately there is no reason not to do 2 related texts.

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Yeah, I think it's important to have an extra additional text at hand.

Our trial question said "additional texts", which meant more than one.
we've been told to have an additional text at hand, because many questions do ask you for more than one related material, also if it says do just one, and you only had one related material, it may not suit the question as well..

however,

serge said:
related texts
im not saying that the person is doing a smaller amount of work, its just that when you do two and it has said 'at least one', you have limited yourself from doing an indepth analysis of a text and markers will compare you to others who have done an indepth analysis of one related material. our teacher has pointed out a case where the question asked for 'at least one', and the senior marker only gave them 14/15 because they done two texts as they were limited in indepth analysis

Haku

you serious?

cause teachers being telling us to do atleast 2 poem for Skrzynecki, 1 stimulus and 2 of our own related material.

so thats minimum 5 texts...but most of the time teacher tell us to do like 3 poems.

when u guys say other text "do u mean like our own related material"?

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
nosadness said:
you serious?

cause teachers being telling us to do atleast 2 poem for Skrzynecki, 1 stimulus and 2 of our own related material.

so thats minimum 5 texts...but most of the time teacher tell us to do like 3 poems.

yes we are talking about related material.

we have also been told to do at least 2 skrzynecki poems and passing reference the rest.

Haku

...i dun understand about ur post...sorry

so we have to do 2 related materials right? plus 1 stimulus and the core text

Kyroth***

HSC
No, you HAVE to do ONE related text, but some people think you're better off doing two related texts.

My opinion = greater analysis of one, because there's the booklet text as well.

nwatts

HSC
fantasy27 said:
Yeah, I agree with this. One text in significant depth is better than two texts of superficial treatment.

serge said:
related texts
It's hardly the least amount of work. You won't have time to give "real insight" into two additional texts, so you'll end up treating them poorly and lacking in solid detail.

Three texts (prescribed, booklet, additional) is a perfect number for developing a strong argument. I have never, ever used any more and I have never scored below 13.

Markers look for DETAIL. The more texts you cover, the less detail you show. Simple.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
So ONE Coleridge, ONE stim book and ONE additional text is GOOD RIGHT??

nwatts

HSC
I don't do Coleridge, so I have no idea whatsoever how many of his poems you're supposed to cover.

I do My Place (Inner Journeys) with The Town Where Time Stands Still (Booklet) and The Motorcycle Diaries (Additional) and the three work perfectly. Occasionally I'll use Blood on the Tracks (Booklet) if the question is geared to something more culture/context focused.

d_a_n_z

HSC
Basically everyone in my school in doing 5... as in BOS, two imagine corners poems and two related texts...i thought everyone would be doing that...

Kyroth***

HSC
I think with poems, if it says that there are several poems that comprise to be your text, you can't just say one poem is my text. If you think of the poems as chapters in a novel, then you wouldn't talk only about one chapter, would you? Try and talk about the poems as a whole, rather than one at a time, and use egs from many different ones.
For Module C, my teacher says do 2 related and at least 2 frontlines, preferably 3, but if you're talking about them individually you're wasting your time to do 6.

rightie

lost in suburbia hell
HSC
nosadness said:
you serious?

my teacher has always told us to know all the skrzynecki poems in detail, 2 stimulus bklt txts, and one of our own related texts.
this i like.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I do Coleridge, and find I can only ever do 1 of his poems, because there's just so much to talk about in all of them. Better to know 2 or 3 (or maybe even all 4) of them well though, since sometimes one might suit the question better than another.

Likewise for my related material, I'll use only 1 unless the question forces me to do more; I tend to write about 1.5 - 2 A4 pages on each text and can't write fast enough to do more than 3 texts in that depth within 40 minutes. (I got 15 in my half yrly and trial)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)