At My Macca's Orientation.. (1 Viewer)

buzzcut89

HSC
Went to my Macca's orientation last week to fill out paperwork etc and meet the other new employees.

At the orientation, the assisant manager I think it was that was running the whole thing said that all the guys would be out the back cooking, and all the girls would be out the front on registers serving.

Just wondering, does this mean she's sexist? And is this illegal, or is she allowed to do that kind of thing?

Thanks. :wave:

Scanorama

HSC
Pretty much, gender discrimination. I've been lots of guys serving at the front all the time, she is probably just bullshiting

kylie_robbo

They start off with the girls being on the front counter because essentially they are the "face" of that maccas store... And the guys are out the back because it isn't easy work.

That and most girls won't volunteer to work out the back with all the oil and grease.

HSC
yeh but its true, like at my work the big heavy box lifting is given too the males and same with trolley run, its not meant too be sexist its just girls dont want too do big heavy labour, hence why most tradesmen are males

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
It's not meant to be sexist, just practical. When you begin the job you will realise that although it might seem sexist now, the business just runs better that way. They have had enough experience to have already realised that before. When males and females become equal in body build and personality type they will have equal work opportunities.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
after you work there for a while, you can ask to be trained in the other area. if you get 100% or close to it in an SOC then they let you move (which isnt hard to do)/

*Minka*

HSC
Casmira said:
yeh but its true, like at my work the big heavy box lifting is given too the males and same with trolley run, its not meant too be sexist its just girls dont want too do big heavy labour, hence why most tradesmen are males
See, I don't find that sexist either. It is much more practical to have a 6'2 guy lift at work than to have little old Five Foot nothing me try and do it.

tempco

HSC
This McDonalds situation has nothing to do with practicality though. If at all, there's a higher chance of a girl being able to cook/fry/etc better than any guy.

And those posting that it isn't sexist are all girls. heh.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
tempco said:
This McDonalds situation has nothing to do with practicality though. If at all, there's a higher chance of a girl being able to cook/fry/etc better than any guy.

And those posting that it isn't sexist are all girls. heh.
. working out the back in a fast food restaurant can be physically demanding. standing around in a hot kitchen in the stinky, hot maccas uniform alone is unpleasant. maccas goes through a lot of food= lots of heavy boxes which need to be carried from the storeroom/fridge and unpacked.When I used to work at maccas, i sometimes helped out with jobs out the back when they were desperate, and i thought it was hard. besides that, generally speaking, girls have a tendancy to take more shit from abusive customers than a lot of males

daza|ex

HSC
It depends which Maccas it is. At my store, I'm the only dude working out front, but at 2 other local Maccas it's completely balanced. I've also seen that there's less staff who work out the front, mainly because back area work longer and the fact that there are more tasks attributed to back area. All new staff for the past 6 months have been going to back area, with the exception of one.

I wouldn't be so quick to suggest a sexist motive. There are many other things that will influence the employers decision, including age. Depending on the existing staff, they might need more younger people to work out front, who might just happen to be girls.

tempco

HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
. working out the back in a fast food restaurant can be physically demanding. standing around in a hot kitchen in the stinky, hot maccas uniform alone is unpleasant. maccas goes through a lot of food= lots of heavy boxes which need to be carried from the storeroom/fridge and unpacked.When I used to work at maccas, i sometimes helped out with jobs out the back when they were desperate, and i thought it was hard. besides that, generally speaking, girls have a tendancy to take more shit from abusive customers than a lot of males
An exclusively guys/girls arrangement can't be justified merely because it's hard physical work. Jobs can be allocated accordingly in the back (e.g. if there's one guy and two girls, for example). It won't be fair to a guy who wants experience dealing with customers, for example, or a girl who wants experience as a kitchen hand.

P

pLuvia

Yeh you can probably say that. Most of girls don't want to work out the back anyway. But if you really do want to, and I hope you don't, just ask

pottsy44

HSC
when i started at maccas i started out the front, but i now work back + front. i also heavily agree with the physical demanding part of working in back area at maccas, especially my store as it is not ventilated properly and whatever the temp is outside, usually add 10 C to the temp out the back. very tiring when busy + hot.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
tempco said:
An exclusively guys/girls arrangement can't be justified merely because it's hard physical work. Jobs can be allocated accordingly in the back (e.g. if there's one guy and two girls, for example). It won't be fair to a guy who wants experience dealing with customers, for example, or a girl who wants experience as a kitchen hand.
any guy or girl working at maccas can request to move to the other area

HSC
Sexist would be refusing the guy too work at front or refusing girl to work at back but its more practical. we where created differently so its only fair, but if a girl really wants to do at the back of maccas then she should go for it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)