ATAR <95 is... No (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Hi!

I literally got this account earlier today to discuss this topic (you can probably tell from the title). My friend and i were discussing ATAR and what we want at the end of this highschool journey and we both kinda came to the same conclusion: anything below a 95 atar is low key ...meh. Like with scaling and moderation, if you put the work in there is no reason that you should not be able to get an 80 in all your exams. We were talking about our own goals and i can't bear to imagine getting below a 98.5, like it would be so sad and disheartening that after all that work it was just that, my parents would also disown me lmaoooooooo. That aside even 98.5 feels low. I desperately was above a 99.5 and am studying for that too.

What are your thought? Has anyone felt the same?
I’m a bit more of the opposite here so I’d like to add in a different opinion. As jazz mentioned above, the ATAR is more or less a guaranteed entry into uni. If you get a good ATAR, that’s great, be proud of yourself. But there’s no reason to feel bad if you don’t get the ATAR you wanted. Fortunately enough as you may be familiar with there are different pathways to get into uni. The ATAR is just one method. My main opinion is this: as long as you create an achievable degree goal and you can get into that degree, that is the only thing that matters. It’s great that you want a 99.5 ATAR and it’s good that you think you can reach that, but also consider if it’s achievable based on your current grades. After all it’s easier said than done. If you don’t think it’s achievable then I’d highly recommend to lower your standards so that you’re not disheartened if you don’t get it. In response to where you said that you couldn’t bear to imagine if you didn’t get 98.5, please take a second to think about how high that ATAR is, and imo I think you’d sound a little ungrateful to be sad over not achieving that kind of rank (98.5 is damn high, it’s not low at all). So you don’t get 98.5 ATAR, boo-hoo what are you going to do? This is my point - make achievable goals you’re actually highly likely going to achieve. One more thing, remember that nobody is going to care about your ATAR in uni. When you’re living life 2 or 3 years later what’s going to be on your mind? The fantastic people/friends you’ve met in uni or the time you didn’t achieve the ATAR you wanted? You’re already going to go to uni as I’m sure you are well capable of it and achieving an ATAR which can guarantee that so RELAX. You’re FINE. Don’t get into the course you want? Alright, apply for something which interests you which has a lower ATAR requirement, or figure out ways you can get into the course you want through another course or through another uni. Hope this helped, and just remember that as long as you know you can reach your degree goal with your grades and your work ethic, that’s all that matters, not your ATAR.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
omg this thread it just...I really disagree w the idea that anything below 95 is bad...maybe it is a selective school thing I have no clue but everyones got shit going on, I know people w mental health and family issues and honestly seeing them getting a 70 would make me so happy for them. everyone has different levels of motivation idk I don't think this is a good mentality cus it can lead u to a path of looking down on people who didn't do well or dropped out of high school etc etc- not saying this is you but I do know people who feel like some kind of elite creature bc of their 97 atar lmfao
Thank god I thought I was the only one who believed that parts of this thread were disagreeable.

idkkdi

HSC
I’m a bit more of the opposite here so I’d like to add in a different opinion. As jazz mentioned above, the ATAR is more or less a guaranteed entry into uni. If you get a good ATAR, that’s great, be proud of yourself. But there’s no reason to feel bad if you don’t get the ATAR you wanted. Fortunately enough as you may be familiar with there are different pathways to get into uni. The ATAR is just one method. My main opinion is this: as long as you create an achievable degree goal and you can get into that degree, that is the only thing that matters. It’s great that you want a 99.5 ATAR and it’s good that you think you can reach that, but also consider if it’s achievable based on your current grades. After all it’s easier said than done. If you don’t think it’s achievable then I’d highly recommend to lower your standards so that you’re not disheartened if you don’t get it. In response to where you said that you couldn’t bear to imagine if you didn’t get 98.5, please take a second to think about how high that ATAR is, and imo I think you’d sound a little ungrateful to be sad over not achieving that kind of rank (98.5 is damn high, it’s not low at all). So you don’t get 98.5 ATAR, boo-hoo what are you going to do? This is my point - make achievable goals you’re actually highly likely going to achieve. One more thing, remember that nobody is going to care about your ATAR in uni. When you’re living life 2 or 3 years later what’s going to be on your mind? The fantastic people/friends you’ve met in uni or the time you didn’t achieve the ATAR you wanted? You’re already going to go to uni as I’m sure you are well capable of it and achieving an ATAR which can guarantee that so RELAX. You’re FINE. Don’t get into the course you want? Alright, apply for something which interests you which has a lower ATAR requirement, or figure out ways you can get into the course you want through another course or through another uni. Hope this helped, and just remember that as long as you know you can reach your degree goal with your grades and your work ethic, that’s all that matters, not your ATAR.
as with anything, I think there will always be that tinge of regret for not achieving what you have set out to achieve, so it does matter. Settling for a route that is just enough to scrap into your preferred course should not be the aim. It is better not to live life on the edge.

as for setting highly achievable goals. I disagree with that statement.
One should strive to push boundaries.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
as with anything, I think there will always be that tinge of regret for not achieving what you have set out to achieve, so it does matter. Settling for a route that is just enough to scrap into your preferred course should not be the aim. It is better not to live life on the edge.

as for setting highly achievable goals. I disagree with that statement.
One should strive to push boundaries.
Hence why I said at the beginning of what I said that my opinion would be quite different. I respect your opinion but personally I don't see the point of getting yourself tied up in a knot about not being able to achieve something which may be unrealistic. Although I believe in a person striving to push their boundaries, I don't think it's something that should be achieved straight away but should be taken in little steps instead. Nobody ain't gonna become a genius overnight, it takes patience and with patience comes working at your own pace and taking things a step at a time. Trying to push for a high boundary from the get go will be a much harder job than what it is to break smaller goals and overall a big goal with more patience and less impulsiveness. I'd like to use studying as an analogy. For some they prefer to study 4-5 hours in one go. And sure it works for those people. But how much content do people remember through that method relative to a method which breaks up times such as the Pomodoro Method? That's just my two cents...

idkkdi

HSC
Hence why I said at the beginning of what I said that my opinion would be quite different. I respect your opinion but personally I don't see the point of getting yourself tied up in a knot about not being able to achieve something which may be unrealistic. Although I believe in a person striving to push their boundaries, I don't think it's something that should be achieved straight away but should be taken in little steps instead. Nobody ain't gonna become a genius overnight, it takes patience and with patience comes working at your own pace and taking things a step at a time. Trying to push for a high boundary from the get go will be a much harder job than what it is to break smaller goals and overall a big goal with more patience and less impulsiveness. I'd like to use studying as an analogy. For some they prefer to study 4-5 hours in one go. And sure it works for those people. But how much content do people remember through that method relative to a method which breaks up times such as the Pomodoro Method? That's just my two cents...
fair enough

Also just realised you're male. what the actual fk. only ever looked at the profile pic. ............

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)