• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Atar estimate (not another one...) (1 Viewer)

Puttah

HSC
I'm seriously worried I won't be getting anywhere near what I need for an atar. 95 would be amazing as it assures my entry in the university course for pure maths, but 90+ is my goal as I'm trying to be a little more realistic and hopefully can sweet-talk my way into the course.

Anyway, my school's rank was about 170 last year.

English (standard): 20/70
Physics: 7/22
Chemistry: 9/24
Math ext 1: 3/26
Math ext 2: 2/6

I believe I'm looking at 80's here, but again I could be wrong, and I'm really hoping for 90's...
What do you guys think?

MetroMattums

HSC
If you want your 90+ ATAR, let alone 95+, you're going to have to get your English mark towards the top 5 in your school. Maths is not going to do it for you if your English is like that.

I'd say you're about 75+ right now. Sorry if I sound harsh. :/

-Onlooker-

HSC
To the OP.. What do you mean by (not another one... ) ? ? ?

And my contribution: Your ranks are too low; your school rank is too low

Puttah

HSC
This entire sub-forum is flooded with atar estimate threads hehe.

I know my english is terrible, it always has been. I just can't cut it when it comes to essays. Right now my average is about 60% in all exams I've done so far, and whether I try or not, it still seems to hover around that each and every time.

I'm perfectly capable of picking up chemisty and physics, and definitely climb those few ranks in maths, but english... lets ignore that one :tongue:

Others have said my maths will bring me up, but english is going to drag me down that much? Oh jeez...

Tangent

HSC
This entire sub-forum is flooded with atar estimate threads hehe.

I know my english is terrible, it always has been. I just can't cut it when it comes to essays. Right now my average is about 60% in all exams I've done so far, and whether I try or not, it still seems to hover around that each and every time.

I'm perfectly capable of picking up chemisty and physics, and definitely climb those few ranks in maths, but english... lets ignore that one :tongue:

Others have said my maths will bring me up, but english is going to drag me down that much? Oh jeez...
I'm sorry, but you are going to have to bite the bullet there, and get your marks up. Even if you think it is a complete pointless subject, just keep at it. the way to get up your marks is just to write lots of essays and give them to your teacher to mark, and ask for lots of feedback. This should polish up your essay technique atleast. Also, practice creative writing, as it helping with your writing skills, you might find it fun and have a renewed passion for english

Puttah

HSC
I'm sorry, but you are going to have to bite the bullet there, and get your marks up. Even if you think it is a complete pointless subject, just keep at it. the way to get up your marks is just to write lots of essays and give them to your teacher to mark, and ask for lots of feedback. This should polish up your essay technique atleast. Also, practice creative writing, as it helping with your writing skills, you might find it fun and have a renewed passion for english
I knew I'd have a problem with english ever since that first essay I flunked back in year 7. Thanks for the motivation though.

It sounds as though my atar is solely riding on my english marks. If I were to jump a lot in English (say, top 5) would my atar jump exceptionally with it?

I can't believe how bad my estimate is... *cries quietly in corner*

MetroMattums

HSC
I knew I'd have a problem with english ever since that first essay I flunked back in year 7. Thanks for the motivation though.

It sounds as though my atar is solely riding on my english marks. If I were to jump a lot in English (say, top 5) would my atar jump exceptionally with it?

I can't believe how bad my estimate is... *cries quietly in corner*
It's not. You still have the capacity to do really well. As long as you stay consistent in Maths and push up your Chemistry + Physics a little bit.

It's just that if you want that 90+ ATAR you're gonna have to get that English really high.

cactuar

HSC
your english is shit because its standard english and 20/70 is bad. it will bring you down alot.

Puttah

HSC
It's not. You still have the capacity to do really well. As long as you stay consistent in Maths and push up your Chemistry + Physics a little bit.

It's just that if you want that 90+ ATAR you're gonna have to get that English really high.
Ok thanks for the input.

your english is shit because its standard english and 20/70 is bad. it will bring you down alot.
Yep and not to mention about 40 of our most special students are in standard so, I'm basically ranked in the lower half of students with half a brain.

If all goes down the shitter and english never picks up, I guess I'll have to settle for the same course but in another university. Is anyone hopeful I can gather 80+ in that case?

hollaholla

HSC
I personally dont feel you're gonna get like 75.....

85 ! ---and if you inc chem + phy a BIT more you could easily hit 90. but standard you will have to absolutely murder ....!!!!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
As others have said, if you want 90+ then you really need to push your english up :)

It's not impossible as the HSC exams are 50% of your final mark. Just keep on working and hand your essays up to your teacher to check etc etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)