ATAR estimate please (1 Viewer)

SoStoked

HSC
Hi all,

Hoping someone could give me a rough estimate based on my current progress.

Biology: 6/21
English Advanced: 4/21
Ancient History 3/14
Modern History: 1/19
Legal Studies: 2/23

I'm worried as my school rank is terrible. Last year it was ranked mid 400s - how bad will that impact on me?

Thanks

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also look at previous years HSC ranks.Smaller cohorts tend to fluctuate more.

Also see if you can get a look some data about previous cohorts performances in each of your respective subjects.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I have no idea how to give good estimates lol, so someone else can do that

In terms of school rank however, I can shed a little light on it.
Basically, after trials all the ranks are sent over to bostes
Then when you do the HSC exams, you get an exam mark for each exam
You also get an internal mark based on what rank you were internally, and whatever the corresponding exam mark was you get as an internal mark (rank 2nd gets the 2nd highest exam mark as internal mark)

In simpler terms, if you are ranked second internally and get an exam mark of 92 for example, then whatever was the 2nd highest exam mark say 94 will be allocated to you as an internal mark. Your final hsc mark is the average of these two, so it will be 93.

In your situation, you will basically have to be first in all your subjects to lessen the impact of your school (assuming other people will drag you down rather than pull you up lol). So for like ancient history, lets say you stay third by the end of trials. Now even if you absolutely obliterate the HSC exam and get like 99 lol, you are still going to be allocated the third highest exam mark as an internal mark. Now if third is really crap and gets like 75 your HSC mark (the one that matters) will be pulled down to 87.

If you are first however, then you will be allocated the highest exam mark as an internal, and so assuming that you are the highest - your performance is totally dependent on you. The disadvantage you face is that you don't really have the protection that someone at a higher ranked school would have if you don't do as well on an exam. For example at my school (top 10) if I am ranked first, and am expecting say 95 in physics if i flop the exams (relatively) and get 85, the highest exam mark will still probably be like 94-95, and so I can get pulled up to a 90. In that sense, having high ranks at a high rank school gives you like an insurance for the exams.

That being said, all you can really do is try your best to pull your ranks up and work hard. Worrying about most of these things is kinda pointless lol, do the best you can, and at the end of the day you will still probably get where you want to go.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Also look at previous years HSC ranks.Smaller cohorts tend to fluctuate more.

Also see if you can get a look some data about previous cohorts performances in each of your respective subjects.
topscores.info is a good website for this. sort by HSC D.A. Counts per School and Subject, and go back a few years to try and get an average

you might have big fluctuations though as blit said because of the small cohort

do you feel like your grade is better than last years?

SoStoked

HSC
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty confident I can improve legal, ancient and English. I've been distracted after losing a family member 2 months ago (not over it) and haven't been giving it 100%.
Biology, I'm not sure about. I find it incredibly boring and only took it as it's recommended for occupational therapy degrees. I wanted to take mathematics as I'm good at it, but wanted to try something new. I realise my mistake now.
I'm still undecided about what I want to study though.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty confident I can improve legal, ancient and English. I've been distracted after losing a family member 2 months ago (not over it) and haven't been giving it 100%.
Biology, I'm not sure about. I find it incredibly boring and only took it as it's recommended for occupational therapy degrees. I wanted to take mathematics as I'm good at it, but wanted to try something new. I realise my mistake now.
I'm still undecided about what I want to study though.
Hey that's great if you think you can improve! You could get a solid 95!
Sorry for your loss - have you/are you applying for EAS?
Hey its alright, I dropped maths because I didn't like it, but whatever the reason, there's always ways to catch up on knowledge! And unless you're planning to go into engineering, you should be fine :)

SoStoked

HSC
Hey that's great if you think you can improve! You could get a solid 95!
Sorry for your loss - have you/are you applying for EAS?
Hey its alright, I dropped maths because I didn't like it, but whatever the reason, there's always ways to catch up on knowledge! And unless you're planning to go into engineering, you should be fine :)
Thanks Band. I haven't applied for EAS, and don't think I will bother.
Definitely no plans for engineering :)
Like you, my first preference would be law. Though, I think I'd prefer to do it in conjunction with a BA to indulge my creative side.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks Band. I haven't applied for EAS, and don't think I will bother.
Definitely no plans for engineering :)
Like you, my first preference would be law. Though, I think I'd prefer to do it in conjunction with a BA to indulge my creative side.
All good!
Well like you said, if it is bothering you I really think you should. EAS Isn't a bad thing, its just there for unexpected difficulties or difficulties in general, the HSC is a grueling process that demands a lot from students, and anything helps :)
Yess Law! Oh fair enough haha. It's either commerce/international studies for me :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)