Atar Estimate (1 Viewer)

830cracker

HSC
Hi, I’m a year 12 student at a school ranked 80-100 over the years. These are the ranks for my subjects:

English Advanced: rank 80/105 (sadly my rank will probably drop to 95-100 after the rank for our recent assessment come out; a side note, around 85-90% of my school gets band 5 & 6 for English adv, and normally the rest all get band4s.)
Math Extension 1: rank 2/65
Math Extension 2: rank 6/22 (a lot of people tied first, my score was good)
Chinese in Context: rank 9/25 (doing it externally at one of the most competitive saturday school centre)

and I got 89 on IPT HSC last year as an accelerated subject(ranked 7/10 internally)

I’m aiming for computer science at unsw, which requires a 90 atar for direct entry or 83 if I get into the FEAS program. I’m just wondering what would be my estimated atar with my current performance? I’ll try harder for English for future assessments though, hopefully getting a 75+ subject score in that; and based on the past stats of my school, I think I’m capable of getting a low-mid band 6 for 3u math and chinese, a high band 5 or low band 6 for extension 2.

also this might be strange to ask, I’m wondering if I don’t meet the atar requirement for unsw compsci, but sit the SAT test and meet the international scoreline for that, do you guys reckon I still have a chance for an offer? Like some of my peers got into their dream uni degree before commencing year12 as they completed A-Levels in year11 & met the scoreline, even though they are domestic students studying at local nsw high schools. Like I’m thinking about having some backups right now but please let me know if you don’t recommend me doing that haha

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
From the information that you have provided, I believe that your current performance is consistent with an ATAR of at least 88 and up to 94.

Your current position in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 appears favourable and is likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. Because of this, it is important to ensure that you maintain it as you progress through year 12. Placing higher relative to your cohort (this applies more to Mathematics Extension 2) is also a good aim. This is supported by your result in Information Processes and Technology (congratulations! 🥳), which will most likely make a further contribution to your ATAR.

Your current position in English Advanced seems to be the only factor that may prevent you from maximising your ATAR. It is therefore important, as you have already recognised, to do your utmost in order to improve your standard of performance in this subject, which will hopefully bring you closer to your desired ATAR.

Given that you are taking Chinese in Context at a Saturday school, it may be slightly more difficult to assess your current performance, although from your comments, I would be inclined to believe that your current position is favourable. Of course, it would also be a good idea to try and improve your rank in this subject.

With that being said, additional information, such as the specific number of band 6's/E4's achieved at your school in each of your subjects, and, if possible, that same information also for your Chinese in Context cohort, would likely contribute to more informed and potentially more accurate ATAR estimates.

I doubt that you need to sit non-HSC tests to maximise your chances of receiving an offer. Other than the fact that your overall performance seems to be within the required range, keep in mind that up to 5 adjustment factors (bonus points) can be applied to your ATAR depending on your overall performance in your subjects, thanks to UNSW's HSC Plus.

In addition to the FEAS, you should also consider and check whether you would be eligible for the Gateway Admission Pathway. It is important to first exhaust more direct options/pathways such as these before contemplating other less traditional and possibly more demanding pathways.

I hope this helps! :D

830cracker

HSC
From the information that you have provided, I believe that your current performance is consistent with an ATAR of at least 88 and up to 94.

Your current position in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 appears favourable and is likely to make a positive contribution to your ATAR. Because of this, it is important to ensure that you maintain it as you progress through year 12. Placing higher relative to your cohort (this applies more to Mathematics Extension 2) is also a good aim. This is supported by your result in Information Processes and Technology (congratulations! 🥳), which will most likely make a further contribution to your ATAR.

Your current position in English Advanced seems to be the only factor that may prevent you from maximising your ATAR. It is therefore important, as you have already recognised, to do your utmost in order to improve your standard of performance in this subject, which will hopefully bring you closer to your desired ATAR.

Given that you are taking Chinese in Context at a Saturday school, it may be slightly more difficult to assess your current performance, although from your comments, I would be inclined to believe that your current position is favourable. Of course, it would also be a good idea to try and improve your rank in this subject.

With that being said, additional information, such as the specific number of band 6's/E4's achieved at your school in each of your subjects, and, if possible, that same information also for your Chinese in Context cohort, would likely contribute to more informed and potentially more accurate ATAR estimates.

I doubt that you need to sit non-HSC tests to maximise your chances of receiving an offer. Other than the fact that your overall performance seems to be within the required range, keep in mind that up to 5 adjustment factors (bonus points) can be applied to your ATAR depending on your overall performance in your subjects, thanks to UNSW's HSC Plus.

In addition to the FEAS, you should also consider and check whether you would be eligible for the Gateway Admission Pathway. It is important to first exhaust more direct options/pathways such as these before contemplating other less traditional and possibly more demanding pathways.

I hope this helps! :D
ahh thank you so much for the detailed reply! It made me a lot less worried about not getting an enough atar, and I feel more motivated to study more now :D also I’m just curious like say if I did messed up english and getting a band 3-4, but gets band 6s for maths/Chinese, do you reckon I can still get a 83+ atar? Like would the poor performance in one subject be holding me back that much for my atar?🥲

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
ahh thank you so much for the detailed reply! It made me a lot less worried about not getting an enough atar, and I feel more motivated to study more now :D also I’m just curious like say if I did messed up english and getting a band 3-4, but gets band 6s for maths/Chinese, do you reckon I can still get a 83+ atar? Like would the poor performance in one subject be holding me back that much for my atar?🥲
No worries!

The fact that you are taking 10 units means that all of your subjects will count towards your ATAR. Because of this, unfavourable performance in any of your subjects (including English Advanced) could hinder your progress towards achieving your goal.

To answer your question, if your overall performance in English Advanced does not end up being as good as you were hoping, an 83+ ATAR may still be possible, provided that your overall performance in your other subjects ends up being like you described. However, this is not guaranteed because anything can happen, which is why it is important to do your best in English Advanced so that you can avoid such a situation altogether.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
bro does 4u and is worried about getting less than 83

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)