ATTN: Ex-EE1 Students (1 Viewer)

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
Romanticism Creative Writing

Hey all,
I'm having trouble grasping Romanticism in creative writing. I feel that my options are narrow, and all I have to talk about is foliage and pretty flowers. Do you have any tips? What sort of stories, plotlines, dramas etc take place? I feel empty.

If you have a Romantic short story, would it be alright if you please [:)]sent it to me? I'm having trouble finding any sample pieces, and I wanted to take a look at an ex-EE1 student's work.

Thanks.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Are you studying romanticism, or romantic fiction (I did crime fiction for my HSC, so I'm unfamiliar with this elective)?

Because there's a difference. If you're doing romanticism (the 18th century literature movement) try researching dark romanticism (Emily Dickinson, Edgar Allan Poe, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_romanticism

Edit: I just checked HSC Online. This might help:

In this elective students explore texts which relate to ways of thinking characteristic of Romanticism in the late 18th century until the mid 19th century. The Romantics valued the imagination, individualism and idealism. Romanticism is typified by the search for meaning through representations of the individual’s relationship with the natural world, and wider social and political contexts. Texts related to this period examine or affirm the power of the imagination to inform, illuminate and transform human experience. Experimentation with ideas and forms may reflect or challenge ways of thinking during this period.

An example that comes to mind for me is Shelley's Frankenstein, which is heavily influenced by romanticism. Subverting nature (creating artificial intelligence) challenges wider social and political contexts (patriarchal society, religion, and the apathetic legal system). Try reading Frankenstein or other novels from that era to get ideas for creative writing.

Last edited:

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
Just Romanticism.

Thanks for that, and congrats on the great ATAR.

skyisthelimit

Banned
HSC
N/A
So what kind of problems were experienced in the Romantic age? There has to be conflict, and a solution (or an almost solution, some sort of progress) to a story...

Any ideas?

driaxx

HSC
Romanticism Creative Writing

Hey all,
I'm having trouble grasping Romanticism in creative writing. I feel that my options are narrow, and all I have to talk about is foliage and pretty flowers. Do you have any tips? What sort of stories, plotlines, dramas etc take place? I feel empty.

If you have a Romantic short story, would it be alright if you please [:)]sent it to me? I'm having trouble finding any sample pieces, and I wanted to take a look at an ex-EE1 student's work.

Thanks.
You need different perspectives don't fall into the same trap as everyone else writing about Elinor and Catherine. I loved my creative writing I wrote it from the perspective of a Corn Picker that the people of a country village (the Romantics) rebelled against and burnt down because of the dislike they felt towards it. It wasn't the typical story that the markers read 100x in a row.

Just add a lot of symbolism lol. If you want a copy of my story PM me, i may still have it.

Last edited:

kcrocks

HSC
Mine was so bad, I got Andrea (post above mine) to do half of it the night before. If you're anti-nature you might wanna base it on the political idealism or gothicism (with a tiny bit of nature) as you never know what the stimulus or question will be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)