Audience (1 Viewer)

123 B A N G

HSC
How do you find an audience for the MW? I'm really having trouble with this because I have no idea how to go about it. Everything I think of seems to broad and general. Tips?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What's your idea first?

Like mine is the satire on Mrs. Dalloway, and my audience is literally "For every sorry student or person who has ever had to read that book - and hated it." I'll probably change it =P

123 B A N G

HSC
Yes very true I would never direct it at teenagers *shivers*. My work is a two part look at how attitudes towards women have changed over a 2000 year period in Iran/Afghanistan. The first is set in Ancient Persia and it's sort of feminist but not really. The main characters don't ever "fight their way to freedom" with their valiant talents or anything like that it's more of just talking a look at characters that represent "all women". Anyway I was wanting to direct it at a historically based Audience because I'm researching everything so that hopefully my depiction can be as historically accurate as possible, but it's still just a bit... weird.

Like mine is the satire on Mrs. Dalloway, and my audience is literally "For every sorry student or person who has ever had to read that book - and hated it." I'll probably change it.
love it :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes very true I would never direct it at teenagers *shivers*. My work is a two part look at how attitudes towards women have changed over a 2000 year period in Iran/Afghanistan. The first is set in Ancient Persia and it's sort of feminist but not really. The main characters don't ever "fight their way to freedom" with their valiant talents or anything like that it's more of just talking a look at characters that represent "all women". Anyway I was wanting to direct it at a historically based Audience because I'm researching everything so that hopefully my depiction can be as historically accurate as possible, but it's still just a bit... weird.

love it :p
I take it you are part of the group who has had to read such a book?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Try for specific media programs/productions that feature work similar to yours.

Where you would like it to be published, and the audiences of these media. Specific literary journals, Australian short fiction magazines, programs on TV such as 'eat carpet' (don't know if that's on anymore, it was a short film show on sbs or abc ages ago).. and 'SOS'.. Different publishers depending on the form of your work, but if you research a little into it you will find something. If you are writing a script, for example, you could even choose a specific director that you enjoy, and say that you would like him/her to direct your play, and hence your audience will be appreciators of their previous works...

Make sure your audience is specific, not general.

Does your work feature specific aspects of human existence? Perhaps it could be used for psychological study, to help people who are suffering, to offer advice or guidance?

Definitely target audiences with an interest in your subject matter, but also consider exposing different people to your subject matter, targeting people with little knowledge of your themes to get them interested, spark their curiosity, anger them into action if it has a particular message or statement...

You must explicitly explain how you've manipulated the form/features/structure etc to position the audience too.

Obviously it depends on what your major work is about, but I think it is pretty easy to find yourself an audience. If you bullshit hard enough ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)