• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Australia: US/China war (2 Viewers)

Vahl

HSC
Enlightened_One said:
I am merely stating the obvious. If there's a war America won't invade because they cannot win against China's masses. Instead the yanks'll push the little red button marked "nukes".
Thus:

Vahl3 said:
...and what heavy bombers would do in a nation with China's population density bothers me greatly. In the cold war technology was reasonably evenly matched so the US avoided conflict with the USSR, but with rival China so (relatively) weak at this critical stage an increadingly imperial US may lash out and attempt to prevent China from reaching her maturity.

Who knows.
and:

Vahl3 said:
China has no aircraft carriers, their bombers are based on 1950's Russian designs, their fighters are 3rd and 4th generation and have little/no stealth capability or long range attack capability and therefore they may have difficulty defending themselves.

China has several nuclear submarines but they are obsolete by western standards and would have little chance of reaching range of the US coast.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Vahl3 said:
In the unlikely event that a war broke out between the US and China over Taiwan, should Australia honour the ANZUS alliance or stay neutral and safe.

This is because Downer has again raised the issue unnecessarily. Is it realistic that a nation such as ours should be involved, and to what benefit? Would we be of any benefit in a conflict between two nuclear powers.

Is it in Australia's interests to remain strapped to the US or should we now consider changing our alliegance to the more rational EU or the growing market of China.
we should stay neutral - asia is more important to us than the US nowadays. if it goes ahead we'll be seeing a repeat of vietnam. the conflict has little to do with the US, it's just being all cocksure and arrogant in its supposed 'int police' role

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I doubt this war will be happening in the next 10 years or so. To be quite frank I just don't think any fireworks are going to go off between China and the US, or even Taiwan for that matter. Let's face it, Taiwan is a very, very small state. If a war of any sort was fought with China on Taiwanese soil, the results for Taiwan would be very messy indeed. Tthe whole country risks getting ripped to shreads. Independence is a worthy cause, but not with such a cost, and especially not when Taiwan is more or less an autonomous state anyway. The most perverse thing about all this is that while Chen Shui-bian is making all these seccession noises, he can't in his honest mind be serious about actually trying it out. It IS however making him an awfully popular guy in Taiwan.

heybraham

HSC
Stupid Taiwanese should be grateful and stop trying to score cheap political points within their weak little selves. I don't think China would ever attack Taiwan unless start getting cocky and starting pissing China off. It's like a teenage kid setting up their own autonomy against their parents. They'll realise it's stupid when they finally reach adulthood.

yes you can hear my bias. but it's brought on somewhat by the irony that the Taiwanese government is probably more corrupt than the Chinese one

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)