Australian 'Counter-Terrorism' Laws (1 Viewer)

prime-factor

HSC
Hello :)

Just wanting to get peoples opinion on this issue. You'd be aware that a person can be detained for long periods of time, with no access to a lawyer all based on 'suspicion'.
Does this set up a perpetuating police state in your opinion?. Has this gone too far?

Looking forward to an interesting discussion.

prime-factor

HSC
But the excuse of 'terrorism' can be used to justify a plethora of things.
Also you seem to be living in fairyfloss. Look at the Haneef case.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hello :)

Just wanting to get peoples opinion on this issue. You'd be aware that a person can be detained for long periods of time, with no access to a lawyer all based on 'suspicion'.
Does this set up a perpetuating police state in your opinion?. Has this gone too far?

Looking forward to an interesting discussion.
Its a a conspiracy duddeee , they aren't lawsz the government is lieing to us, Guyszzz dont believe what you hear, research it... go on this random blog i read...... /prime factor

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I trust that our law enforcement will use the counter-terrorism laws effectively appropriately, and honestly to assist in our own national security. Our law enforcement has a good record of upholding justice and the rule of law.

Any other use of these laws to hold suspects would be based on strong evidence that the suspect has commited some other serious crime - nothing more but a loophole that all professionals in the legal system use to their own advantage...

prime-factor

HSC
Its a a conspiracy duddeee , they aren't lawsz the government is lieing to us, Guyszzz dont believe what you hear, research it... go on this random blog i read...... /prime factor
That approach to a discussion says alot about the person.

sdent40

HSC
No u need a father figure in your life, there to tell you what you can and can't do. He watchs over u so that's why he has to have all power over u

rasengan90

HSC
I think as long as 'terrorism' is well defined in the laws, longer detention periods and police powers are acceptable.

Skater_bum

HSC
the legislation which ive vaguelylooked at during my law degree thus far is a detainment for a period of time then being processed with legal representation ( right expressed in the constitution ) the outcome is then determined. this reminds me of the south park episode yesto with the giant guinea pigs haha

Skater_bum

HSC
not to mention is a executive prerogative to executive action which havent been covered by legislation .. eg tampa case

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Does this set up a perpetuating police state in your opinion?
De facto, no. De jure, probably. This is unfortunate since it confuses the future. What happens if we ever go to war again and some ideological group (e.g. communists) becomes unpopular? Will they start being randomly arrested without charge under this law?

Has this gone too far?
I'm a utilitarian without statistics on the issue, and as such I have no stance. I lean towards it being inappropriate, however, by virtue of my ideals of freedom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)