Australian flag BANNED!!! (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
ABC news (the only decent news) said that they were only encouraging the disuse of national flags and that it wasn't actually banned...

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
YEAH MATE BUT I READ THE TELE SON AND I"LL TELL YOU IT'S A FUCKIN DISGRACE.

You know I hear they've ordered concert goers to URINATE on the graves of diggers and all convert to islam.

It's a fucking disgrace.
ahahahahaha i love yew man

you'd better front today.

black_raven777

HSC
IMHO, as long as ALL national flags are banned (not just Australia's) then fine by me. And I don't think the problem is with yobbos waving it and shouting "oi oi oi", its more the cultural clashes that may result from different groups using any flag as a rallying point.

However, the comment about it being an Australia Day event is a valid one, because it may set a precedent leading to a ban on flags at all events because of the "risk".

Ultimately, as I said, as long as the ban is universal, I don't have any problem with it

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
i think its a good idea.

It's a fucking MUSIC FESTIVAL.

was that part missed?

Flindersstudent

HSC
black_raven777 said:
IMHO, as long as ALL national flags are banned ...

...Ultimately, as I said, as long as the ban is universal, I don't have any problem with it
I don’t agree. After all by this logic the discouragement (note it HASN’T been banned) should be at all big day outs not just Sydney. Rather the discouragement is in response to specific incidents that happened at Sydney and therefore the organisers have targeted Sydney. The incidents that occurred last year were related to Aussie flags and not any others, so why discourage all flags.

When idiots learn that senseless rampant nationalism is “not cool” and definitely not an excuse to bully other nationalities then we don’t have to discuss shit like this.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Its really up to BDO, people will turn up even if the flags were banned - no-one gives a shit.

Its some lame concert anyway.

banco55

HSC
They are holding it on state owned land. Iemma has already pointedly referred to that fact. I hope they are told they won't be welcome back next year if there is any active attempt to discourage overt displays of the australian flag.

If (as the bien pensants) say the discouragement of not overtly displaying the flag is no big deal than why bother discouraging it at all?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
mr_brightside said:
i think its a good idea.

It's a fucking MUSIC FESTIVAL.

was that part missed?
alright mr. i-am-not-so-bright, the aussie flag fits in anywhere in australia, even at a fucking concert. one should be able to fly the aussie flag with pride and honour if he believes in the aussie values. so he thinks the aussie values are in a fucking music festival, then he can bring that flag along with him, without been harassed or told that the flag doesn't belong there.

and if you have a problem with that, 'get the fuck out of this country'.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Malfoy said:
This is just ridiculous. I'd expect it from NUS, like Justin said, but from the BDO? It's on Australia Day (or usually is in Sydney) - why shouldn't we be able to combine good music with celebrating our country?
Its the day before Australia Day and secondly its their concert. For security and safety reasons. You take the flag anywhere else in the world/

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
Once again we have a situation whereby organisers implement policies based on the actions of a minority. If they take it upon themselves to ban the Australian flag, then every other type of flag should also be banned. Are these the same left wing proponents who defend the words of people such as the Sheikh via freedom of speech? So they believe in freedom of speech, yet do not allow one to convey their nationalistic tendencies? Oh how I love the hypocrisy of the left..
I don't think the organizers were being political. If anything they demonstrated their lack of political awareness by making the statement the way they did.

From reports of the BDO last year people were using the Australian flag for antisocial purposes. Roaming around in Australian flags and making people kiss the flag at the risk of being bashed.

I personally think the organizers have the safety of people in their minds, rather than making a lefty political statement. They have legal liability issues. They are responsible if someone gets bashed and, based on last years event, sadly, the Australian flag was used for antisocial purposes.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Malfoy said:
It's only on the day before because the organisers moved it from Australia Day because the organisers wanted to avoid 'nationalistic overtones'. I mean, come on, that's ridiculous. I don't see why having pride in your country is seen as being such a bad thing!

They're labelling the flag as a gang colour. What, anyone who loves the flag and what it stands for is now a gang member? Can't the BDO organisers see how ludicrous that sounds?
It's not so much a "gang color" but more being used as an "us and them" symbol.

And I agree that it's their concert, their rules.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
This is by far the most ridicolous thing i've ever heard. Banning the AUSTRALIAN flag...in AUSTRALIA??!?!?!???
I mean honestly - what the hell?

However, on that note i've gotta say that the anglo-saxon people all carrying australian flag does make me quite uncomfortable, and that limits my enjoyment of australia day.

But its still the most idiotic thing i've ever heard. I mean, are we that scared of lebs? :)

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
trace7988 said:
:eek: lol oooomgosh the frikin cheek of it!...THIS IS AUSTRALIA ffs...
I could slightly understand if the flag was being waved around to cause shit in another country, but this is australia and australians deserve the right to be proud of their country...and have the freedom to be aswell.

The Australian flag should be allowed anywhere and everywhere around aus, if anybody starts crap at a concert in australia because of an aussie flag, then wtf is that dickhead doing in this country? Send the ungrateful bastards back to wherever they came from, they obviously dont realise how lucky and priviledged they are to be here.

Nothing should stop us of being PROUD of our country, we shouldnt have to shy away from things or even get to the point where our flag is BANNED. what is this country coming to? its becoming too overly 'politically correct' that its stepping over the borderline and actually discriminating against and offending it's own people.

lol all us aussies who are going should show up there in every piece of aussie clothing we own and if they give us shit about it, or refuse entry or whatever, then we can get up them for discriminating against aussies.
Um so you're assuming that every person who starts "crap at a concert" is from another country and should be sent back there?

What is it with that mentality? Don't you realise that just enhances the "us and them" crap? Isn't this meant to be one of the most multicultural countries in the world? Really not seeing how that's a good thing right now.

What the hell constitutes an "aussie" anyways? Who the hell is this "own people" you speak of?

SIDE NOTE: It wasn't banned, it was discouraged because it has caused certain incidents in the past at Sydney BDO's. You won't be refused entry at all. Get your facts straight before you rant.

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
Tulipa said:
Um so you're assuming that every person who starts "crap at a concert" is from another country and should be sent back there?

What is it with that mentality? Don't you realise that just enhances the "us and them" crap? Isn't this meant to be one of the most multicultural countries in the world? Really not seeing how that's a good thing right now.

What the hell constitutes an "aussie" anyways? Who the hell is this "own people" you speak of?

SIDE NOTE: It wasn't banned, it was discouraged because it has caused certain incidents in the past at Sydney BDO's. You won't be refused entry at all. Get your facts straight before you rant.
Uhhh NO...dont put words in my mouth i never ASSUMED that all ppl that start shit arent aussies, im saying if someone comes into this country and has a problem with aussies loving their country, then they must get fukd.

'own people'?= Aussie Citizens who fukin appreciate this place thats what....
All im saying is if an aussie or anyone is proud of australia and wants to show it and express it, then ffs let them!
For someone or some people to go to such lengths to ban, or even 'discourage' a flag from a concert, then there has to be a reason for it.. Their reason is full of shit..As long as it is on Australian soil then anybody should have the freedom to show how proud they are of this country, after all it is a free country right??? In the same aspect, people who may have a problem with Australia should atleast show RESPECT for this country.

edit: If the BDO organisers think its encouraging racism then theres not much they can do because banning the AUSSIE flag, is doing the opposite of discouraging racial discrimination, its actually causing more racism and infuriating Australians.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
trace7988 said:
The Australian flag should be allowed anywhere and everywhere around aus, if anybody starts crap at a concert in australia because of an aussie flag, then wtf is that dickhead doing in this country? Send the ungrateful bastards back to wherever they came from,
I'm not putting words in your mouth, that's what you said.

trace7988 said:
Uhhh NO...dont put words in my mouth i never ASSUMED that all ppl that start shit arent aussies, im saying if someone comes into this country and has a problem with aussies loving their country, then they must get fukd.
That has nothing to do with the topic on hand. You are trying to rationalise your above statement which doesn't work. The BDO organisers are Australians trying to stop other Anglo Saxon Australians (often referred to as Bogans) to stop using the Australian flag as a symbol for "us and them" incidents at the Big Day Out. Nothing more, nothing less. Also it is THEIR concert and they are FREE to lay down rules like this, NOT that they have because they have not BANNED the flag. Please understand that.

trace7988 said:
'own people'?= Aussie Citizens who fukin appreciate this place thats what....
So just because I believe that this is a good idea, it means I don't appreciate Australia (even though I spent a year trying to become a citizen)

trace7988 said:
All im saying is if an aussie or anyone is proud of australia and wants to show it and express it, then ffs let them!
Great, that's not the problem. They were discouraging it because in the past, it has been used as a symbol to incite some violent incidents.

trace7988 said:
For someone or some people to go to such lengths to ban, or even 'discourage' a flag from a concert, then there has to be a reason for it.. Their reason is full of shit..
How is wanting to prevent violence and degradation of a national symbol a bullshit reason? The more the Australian flag is used as a symbol of an "us and them" mentality then the worse it gets. It started in Cronulla unforunately and it does have to stop eventually.

trace7988 said:
As long as it is on Australian soil then anybody should have the freedom to show how proud they are of this country, after all it is a free country right??? In the same aspect, people who may have a problem with Australia should atleast show RESPECT for this country.
It's meant to be a free country sure but there are a number of things about this country that do not scream "free" to me. Go ahead, do whatever you want. Be a racist, use a national icon (the flag) to incite it, ruin the reputation of this country. Great idea kiddo. What's even funnier is how you don't respect the flag. I mean God you splash it across everything. I mean okay bad comparison but if you really wanted to look at a country that respects it's flag, look at the USA. They have LAWS about handling the flag. You can go to jail for burning it and it's incredibly disrespectful to let it touch the ground or wear it as a cape or something like that.

trace7988 said:
edit: If the BDO organisers think its encouraging racism then theres not much they can do because banning the AUSSIE flag, is doing the opposite of discouraging racial discrimination, its actually causing more racism and infuriating Australians.
How is it causing "more racism", please give me an example.

banco55

HSC
Tulipa said:
It's meant to be a free country sure but there are a number of things about this country that do not scream "free" to me. Go ahead, do whatever you want. Be a racist, use a national icon (the flag) to incite it, ruin the reputation of this country. Great idea kiddo. What's even funnier is how you don't respect the flag. I mean God you splash it across everything. I mean okay bad comparison but if you really wanted to look at a country that respects it's flag, look at the USA. They have LAWS about handling the flag. You can go to jail for burning it and it's incredibly disrespectful to let it touch the ground or wear it as a cape or something like that.
LOL I suggest you check your facts 'kiddo'.

banco55

HSC
Tulipa said:
Which ones specifically? Because I know the one's about the States are correct.
'fraid not kiddo. The Supreme Court in the US has ruled that banning flag desecration violates the first amendment. Hence the attempts to amend the constitution to make flag desecration illegal. So no you can't go to jail for burning it. Hence why the laws about handling the flag are advisory only because if the government tries to enforce them they will be violating the first amendment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)