Australian flag BANNED!!! (1 Viewer)

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
banco55 said:
'fraid not kiddo. The Supreme Court in the US has ruled that banning flag desecration violates the first amendment. Hence the attempts to amend the constitution to make flag desecration illegal. So no you can't go to jail for burning it. Hence why the laws about handling the flag are advisory only because if the government tries to enforce them they will be violating the first amendment.
Ah right. That. It's still ongoing and still doesn't change the respect thing.

Oh and I used kiddo as an insult to her, you're just dragging sarcasm out to death.

One question though: Why wear a national icon as a cape? Or as boxer shorts?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
wuddie said:
alright mr. i-am-not-so-bright, the aussie flag fits in anywhere in australia, even at a fucking concert. one should be able to fly the aussie flag with pride and honour if he believes in the aussie values. so he thinks the aussie values are in a fucking music festival, then he can bring that flag along with him, without been harassed or told that the flag doesn't belong there.

and if you have a problem with that, 'get the fuck out of this country'.
Its people like you that drape youselves in the australian flag and get beer and sweat all over it at a music festival.

REAL respectful aye?

pride and honour? pride and honour are virtues that are usually demonstrated SOBER.

That said you shouldn't be their in the first place cause you know a few songs by that band that your sheep friend heard after it being played on the radio 4 months after its release.

I have a problem with that, and I dont intend to get the fuck out of this country.
I'm not saying the Australia flag doesnt belong. NO flags should be allowed. Why the fuck are we so racially segregated and carry on like elitist WANKERS just because someone is from another country.

Last edited by a moderator:

banco55

HSC
Tulipa said:
Ah right. That. It's still ongoing and still doesn't change the respect thing.

Oh and I used kiddo as an insult to her, you're just dragging sarcasm out to death.

I think wearing flags as a cape or as boxer shorts (which I've never seen anyone do) is generally tacky. The difference is I'm not accusing people who do it of being racists or saying they shouldn't do it on account of taste. The barmy army paint their faces with the st george cross and have heaps of flags noone says that they are closet racists, divisive etc.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
banco55 said:
I think wearing flags as a cape or as boxer shorts (which I've never seen anyone do) is generally tacky. The difference is I'm not accusing people who do it of being racists or saying they shouldn't do it on account of taste. The barmy army paint their faces with the st george cross and have heaps of flags noone says that they are closet racists, divisive etc.
That's because they're not using it as a divisive tool. They're an "Army", they have community spirit. It's not exactly the same thing.

I just think it's stupid that people are reacting so badly to this when it makes sense. And that they're holding up the flag as something they revere when THEY WEAR IT AS BOXER SHORTS. Riiiiight people. Logical.

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
Tulipa said:
even though I spent a year trying to become a citizen
haha, i should have guessed.

You will never understand.

Tulipa said:
They were discouraging it because in the past, it has been used as a symbol to incite some violent incidents.
Tulipa said:
The more the Australian flag is used as a symbol of an "us and them" mentality then the worse it gets. It started in Cronulla unforunately and it does have to stop eventually.
Exactly..people may have used it as 'us and them' cases, but what about the inocent people who are merely proud of their nation and want to show it?
Why should they suffer?
And yes thats right.. it does have to stop eventually, but if you look at the "Mentality" of it, most 'Bogans' as you say, would take it extremely offensive, as they are, and it could and probably will, create more problems.
And to add to this...think about what the cronulla riots were about..Australians should be allowed to stand up for their country..Think about what would happen if the tables were turned and australia became in a riot in another country??

Tulipa said:
How is wanting to prevent violence and degradation of a national symbol a bullshit reason?
Its not the actual PREVENTION its the WAY that they are doing it...

Tulipa said:
It's meant to be a free country sure but there are a number of things about this country that do not scream "free" to me.
whats that got to do with freedom of showing your pride in your country and flying it's flag.. Infact, whats that got to do with anything?

Tulipa said:
Go ahead, do whatever you want. Be a racist, use a national icon (the flag) to incite it, ruin the reputation of this country.
Uhh...Like what I say is going to ruin the reputation of this country.. Theres nothing i have said that can prove that I'm a racist. All i have basically said is that people of any RACE should have the right to be proud of their flag.

Tulipa said:
Great idea kiddo.
Kiddo? pffffft... hahah AMAZING 'insult' ... get rooted.

Tulipa said:
What's even funnier is how you don't respect the flag.
Don't even start.. Im not at all disrespecting the flag. I feel, along with most people, including John Howard, that it is pretty damn stupid and petty that it has come to something like this...

Tulipa said:
I mean God you splash it across everything.
hmmmmm... rite...

Tulipa said:
I mean okay bad comparison but if you really wanted to look at a country that respects it's flag, look at the USA. They have LAWS about handling the flag. You can go to jail for burning it and it's incredibly disrespectful to let it touch the ground or wear it as a cape or something like that.
Yeah and Im pretty sure if for example, a very popular annual event in America suddenly decided to ban flying the US flag, in fear that it might cause controversy and tension, then the country as a whole would be disgraced, because they care for their flag & its representation of their country so much.

Tulipa said:
How is it causing "more racism", please give me an example.
Are you 'mentality' challenged? What have we just been talking about here.

Anyway..Fair enough... its their event, they can lay down whatever rules they want.. but damn they're making a pretty big mistake..

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Fair enough to be honest, I bet if a non-white Australian was wearing the flag at BDO some bogan dickhead, that goes to get completely drunk rather than to appreciate the music, would probably start something or if an ethnic guard tried to kick a drunk out with the Australian flag on.

banco55

HSC
Tulipa said:
That's because they're not using it as a divisive tool. They're an "Army", they have community spirit. It's not exactly the same thing.

I just think it's stupid that people are reacting so badly to this when it makes sense. And that they're holding up the flag as something they revere when THEY WEAR IT AS BOXER SHORTS. Riiiiight people. Logical.
But how do you know that they are using it as a "divisive tool"? I don't see how showing up to a concert with an australian flag is divisive by itself or are overt displays of the flag by anglo-saxons inherently divisive in this brave new world?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
Oh for fucks sake. I've lived most of my life in this country, the last thirteen years in fact and unlike you I CHOSE to be an Australian citizen.

I still have a partly American accent but I'm fucking sick of people who don't think I'd "understand" just because I wasn't fucking born here.

Seriously, I'm not even going to read any further cause that's was just rude and hurtful. I'm sorry I wasn't fantastic enough to be born on this continent, I just chose to stay here.

mr_brightside

HSC
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I GIVE YOU:

THE POINT.

sunjet said:
Fair enough to be honest, I bet if a non-white Australian was wearing the flag at BDO some bogan dickhead, that goes to get completely drunk rather than to appreciate the music, would probably start something or if an ethnic guard tried to kick a drunk out with the Australian flag on.

Last edited by a moderator:

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
Tulipa said:
Simple. Because whoever does this obviously wants to. and if they want to do this then they can do just that and theres no laws against it. They are obviously someone who is proud of their country, are proud of its history and have a strong closeness with this country. This country means alot to them. After all, this is one of the greatest countries in the world, do you not agree?

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
trace7988 said:
Simple. Because whoever does this obviously wants to. and if they want to do this then they can do just that and theres no laws against it. They are obviously someone who is proud of their country, are proud of its history and have a strong closeness with this country. This country means alot to them. After all, this is one of the greatest countries in the world, do you not agree?
Hey some of the people sure suck.

But once again, choosing to live here sure says a lot huh?

And it's disrespectful no? To wear something that's such a national icon as underwear.

But sorry I forgot it's "your country", do what you want right?

Skeeta

HSC
Tulipa said:
And it's disrespectful no? To wear something that's such a national icon as underwear.
Australian's EAT some of their national icons.

I think we just show respect in a different way.

Which isnt really the point of this.

cowface

HSC
Look at me! Look at me!

I'm soooo proud of Australia and it's people and stuff, so I'm going to wave this flag I bought at Kmart which was on sale for $29.95 and was printed in some Asian factory. It has the British flag covering the most prominent quarter of it! So SPECIAL! The people, the land, its civil institutions aren't symbols of this great nation, the flag is!!!

*waves* *wraps around body* *dances*

Why contribute to the welfare of this country by paying taxes, volunteering, or keeping informed when I can just wave my $30 flag? It's sooooo much easier. More Lebs should try it, man.

mr_brightside

HSC
trace7988 said:
You do realise we stole this country from the Aboriginals after being booted out of the UK for being dangerous criminals?

cowface said:
Look at me! Look at me!

I'm soooo proud of Australia and it's people and stuff, so I'm going to wave this flag I bought at Kmart which was on sale for $29.95 and was printed in some Asian factory. It has the British flag covering the most prominent quarter of it! So SPECIAL! The people, the land, it's civil institutions aren't symbols of this great nation, the flag is!!!

*waves* *wraps around body* *dances*

Why contribute to the welfare of this country by paying taxes, volunteering, or keeping informed when I can just wave my $30 flag? It's sooooo much easier. More Lebs should try it, man.

haha poty!

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
Tulipa said:
Oh for fucks sake. I've lived most of my life in this country, the last thirteen years in fact and unlike you I CHOSE to be an Australian citizen.

I still have a partly American accent but I'm fucking sick of people who don't think I'd "understand" just because I wasn't fucking born here.

Seriously, I'm not even going to read any further cause that's was just rude and hurtful. I'm sorry I wasn't fantastic enough to be born on this continent, I just chose to stay here.
unlike who? ..dude how would you know where any of us in this forum were born?? it really doesnt matter how long you've lived in a country for. You may not understand how much living in this country may mean to people, or how much the country means to an individual.. you may think its no big-a-deal, but to some people, they feel so happy and priviledged to be here, and they want to show it...You just have to respect that.

Who knows, maybe you hold America close to your heart? Maybe you don't? But if you did, then how would you feel if you still lived there, and I became a citizen there too and said half the things you've been saying?
Hmm forget it... The fact of the matter is, it is completely impossible for you to understand each and every persons values and beliefs in Australia. Australians generally are proud people, just as americans are of their country, just come to terms with that please and get over it?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
mr_brightside said:
You do realise we stole this country from the Aboriginals after being booted out of the UK for being dangerous criminals?
Obviously that's why she's so proud.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
trace7988 said:
unlike who? ..dude how would you know where any of us in this forum were born?? it really doesnt matter how long you've lived in a country for. You may not understand how much living in this country may mean to people, or how much the country means to an individual.. you may think its no big-a-deal, but to some people, they feel so happy and priviledged to be here, and they want to show it...You just have to respect that.

Who knows, maybe you hold America close to your heart? Maybe you don't? But if you did, then how would you feel if you still lived there, and I became a citizen there too and said half the things you've been saying?
Hmm forget it... The fact of the matter is, it is completely impossible for you to understand each and every persons values and beliefs in Australia. Australians generally are proud people, just as americans are of their country, just come to terms with that please and get over it?
Dude.

I'm choosing to live here. Choice between USA and Australia for Uni. Chose Australia. You just live here cause you were born here. I'm just saying that you've never had to make a concious choice (that I know of) about where you would live. So don't judge on birthright kay? I know there's a lot of Australian's on here and I'm sure there are a lot of people from other countries. You're just generalising that because I wasn't born here I don't understand the country.

I love this country, I believe in it's multicultural values a helluva lot more than I believe in any of the Republican crap that is spewed out of some Americans and I think you should give a little more respect to your flag and acknowledge that it has been used for not great things. I am happy to be here, how have I not displayed that? What am I saying that is so inflammatory or wrong?

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
trace7988 said:
Respect the disgusting way in which thugs appropriate the national symbol for their own petty purposes? It's unfortunate that such behaviour must be tolerated, but there's no reason to respect it.

trace7988 said:
With comments like that it's little wonder that the organisers thought that it would be a good idea to ask people to leave their flags at home.

mr_brightside

HSC
trace7988 said:
...what, you can?

trace7988

<3 <3
HSC
Tulipa said:
Hey some of the people sure suck.
Everywhere you are going to go people are going to suck...

Tulipa said:
But once again, choosing to live here sure says a lot huh?
Choosing to live here is one thing, respecting the country is another.

Tulipa said:
Haa. Again, you wouldn't understand.
&& quite frankly, couldnt really give a shit if you do or not..
Ive been to America..many times..seen PLENTY of underwear with the american flag on them.. Didn't & dont have a problem with that whatsoever, and wouldnt even think of that being disrespectful.. but hey, say what you want its not getting anywhere anyway.

Tulipa said:
But sorry I forgot it's "your country", do what you want right?
Damn straight. If aussies wanna wear the aussie flag, good on them, I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)